Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud new sub 2000 owner in .40 glock!

Would there be a problem with having the charging handle locked to the rear while the gun is folded for storage. I would like to leave it that way for the wife to be able to unfold the gun, put in a magazine, and drop the charging handle. That way she would be able to use the gun without having to charge it herself, which is kind of hard for her because she is a little woman! Having this configuration for home defense seems to be very efficient for her.

I was just looking to see if anyone knew of possible problems this could cause.

Thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
17,762 Posts
Should be fine. But don't leave it that way for weeks at a time! :eek:

Something else you can have her try is to hold the charging handle in her weak hand and push the gun forward by the grip with her strong hand. Kind of like drawing a bow. Some folks have found this helps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with 3wb on all points. Best to have her be able to master charging it on her own. Heaven forbid the gun jams when she needs it most. The push/pull method works for my wife as well.

Just remember to teach her to keep her finger low on the charging handle and not to ride the handle forward. Failure to do both has resulted in blood blisters in my personal experience. :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the quick response with the great information. I'll try the weak hand with the push of the gun forward with the strong hand.

·
Super Moderator
17,762 Posts
I'll try the weak hand with the push of the gun forward with the strong hand.
Or vice versa. Whichever she seems most comfortable with. I just know some women have an easier time charging a semi pistol by grasping the slide and pushing the grip.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hmmm, that is excellent advice. I know my wife sometimes has problems charging my semis and I'll offer this technique to her. Good input.

·
Registered
31 Posts
my girlfriend has to tilt the gun on its side ond pull the handle back griping it like a car shifter. She also uses the push/pull method above, and it works just fine. I have to make sure I don't laugh when she does it... she gets pissed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have always heard that leaving a spring compressed will not weaken it over time, which is usually when referring to loaded magazines or cocked hammer springs (on a 1911 for example). Supposedly a magazine spring gets weakened by normal use - or cycling through loading and unloading.

All of which leads me to wonder:

It seems very unappealing to me to leave the charging handle locked back on a Sub2k with the spring compressed all of the time, but will it actually harm the spring? Not according to nearly everything I've ever read regarding spring wear.

For the record - I would most definitely NOT be comfortable leaving any rifle of mine stored with the action (bolt) locked open.

·
Super Moderator
17,762 Posts
I wasn't sure until I bought a used Hi-point 995 carbine a few years ago. It shot fine after I bought it, but during a detailed strip for cleaning I found that the firing pin spring had compressed to about 60% of it's normal length. This led me to believe the gun had been left cocked in a closet for a long period sometime in its life. I will leave a magazine loaded or a weapon cocked for a few weeks at most before I unload it either through range use or rotation. But I try to allow all my weapon related springs to be relaxed at regular intervals. If you are using the gun regularly it should not be a problem to store it cocked and ready at home. But if you are going to put it in storage for a long period I do not recommend it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts