Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whatsup guys. was jus curious to see what you guys thought about the Cobra Patriot .45? anybody have any experience with these or know anything about the reliability factor?

looks like 1 can be had for about $275- its a .45 with a 1 owner lifetime warranty. i wouldnt be using this as defense or carry weapon. jus a plinker and a backup for if SHTF.

i know alot of people have had good success with the Cobra FS380, and their other guns, but then again alot of people have had problems with them. but i cant find too much on the patriot. let me know what u think

the 1st 2 pics r the .45 patriot, the 3rd pic is the FS380

Attachments

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
i like it, if i could find one around here when i had the cash i think i'd get one. biggest problem i have heard is the trigger pull can be pretty bad.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Don't think i've ever read anything good about the 45. I've seen one at a gun show once, don't think i'd buy one.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That 3rd one looks like a direct copy of the Lorcin. Still have one of those lousy pieces of crap somewhere in the gun closet. Probably put 1000 rounds through it trying to get it to run right. Gave up and stashed it. Don't think it ever fired a complete mag without some kind of malfunction.:(

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
Probably an aberation, but mine failed to feed, fire & eject reliably, so I left it with the Cobra folks at their booth at the NRA convention in St. Louis, Mo. That saves the cost and hassle of shipping it back. Hopefully it will work when it comes back. The new 5 + 1 single stack XD looks to be a bit more compact and better built at about twice the price.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I was looking into getting one, myself, awhile back until I did a bit of research on it. Among the negatives:

1. Factory user's manual states it is intended for shooting FMJ ammo ONLY. So, that pretty well limits you to hardball and mayyyybe CorBon Pow'rBall or Federal Guard Dog/EFMJ ammo;
2. Trigger pull is pretty long and heavy (then again, to me it looks like a copy of the P11 scaled up to .45 ACP, so no surprise there);
3. Even with FMJ ammo, it can be pretty finicky - could be due to brand or type of FMJ ammo used (users never mentioned whether it was brass, steel, or aluminum-cased ammo that gave them problems) or maybe just a bad design;
4. Those who had problems and needed to send off for repairs either required multiple send-backs to get the problem "fixed" (and by "fixed" I mean they just sent a new pistol) or they got a lengthy run-around and the problem(s) persisted;
5. For the money, you could just as easily get a Hi-Point JHP and have a much better chance of having a cheap .45 ACP pistol that actually functions reliably and works well for both plinking and home defense. And yes, believe it or not, with a good holster you actually CAN conceal one of those big honkin' beasts.

The few pro's:

1. 1911 mags can supposedly be made to work in them with little to no modification (then again, the same applies to the Hi-Point JHP);
2. For a .45 ACP pistol, it's pretty compact, putting it in the same size group as guns like the Kahr CW45 and Bersa UC45, but it's a $100 or so cheaper than either of those;
3. It's available in stainless (or is it nickel / hard chrome? I forget...);

I haven't ever actually seen one locally yet, although there is supposedly one shop in the Valley here that is an authorized dealer - I might have to give them a call and see if they have any on hand and go check one out, just for giggles. Honestly, I'd steer clear unless you just have about $300 burning a hole in your wallet (or you can get one used for really cheap) and you just want one for the sake of wanting one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking into getting one, myself, awhile back until I did a bit of research on it.

5. For the money, you could just as easily get a Hi-Point JHP and have a much better chance of having a cheap .45 ACP pistol that actually functions reliably and works well for both plinking and home defense. And yes, believe it or not, with a good holster you actually CAN conceal one of those big honkin' beasts.

The few pro's:

1. 1911 mags can supposedly be made to work in them with little to no modification (then again, the same applies to the Hi-Point JHP);
well i have a hi point C9. i love it. bout 750 rds thru it, no probs, maybe 2 ftf and 2fte, but for 150 bucks. cant beat it. but i at some point am sure i will pick up a jcp40 or jhp45, but that only bc i like hi points and know ill be getting my bang for my buck.

but as far as overall attractiveness, im not big on the HP 40 and 45 looks. i love the simplistic sown to business design of the C9, and the 40 and 45 are the same, just much larger. the C9 fits just right. i was jus goin based on overall eye appeal, the patriot id a better looking firearm IMO jus cus the compactness.

thought i might go out on a limb and see what was worth anything in the affordable american made products other than HP and KT which i am a proud owner of both. jus have an interst and seein what u intelligent fellers had to say

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Don't think i've ever read anything good about the 45. I've seen one at a gun show once, don't think i'd buy one.
I've seen a couple of good reviews, including one on GunBlast. But there are also several very bad customer reviews floating around on some of the forums. However, all of them are very dated. There's not been really any sort of review or customer feedback of this firearm in a few years.

The designer is a well known and respected designer. The problem, if there is one, is that Cobra is the company making it and there's the question of whether or not the QC is sufficient.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
That 3rd one looks like a direct copy of the Lorcin.
It is.

Cobra bought the rights to the Lorcin designs. I don't remember if it went through multiple corporate iterations or if they got it direct, but it's the same design. The only design difference is the trigger guard. The Lorcin had a more squared off trigger guard. All parts are said to be interchangeable.

That said, I always liked the looks of the Lorcin guns. Very visually appealing to me. Never owned one though. Came close to buying a .32ACP Lorcin once. I was bidding on an auction but wouldn't pay more than $100 including shipping so I "lost" to someone who was willing to pay more. <shrug> I honestly hope it works well for him.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
if it is just a backup and a plinker, and it has a lifetime warranty, it may be a decent project to see if it works and how well. If you want something that works for sure, you may be better served looking for a used gun instead. You can almost always find a pretty good shooter for 300 or so, used, if the options for a new gun in that price range seem unattractive.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It is.

Cobra bought the rights to the Lorcin designs. I don't remember if it went through multiple corporate iterations or if they got it direct, but it's the same design. The only design difference is the trigger guard. The Lorcin had a more squared off trigger guard. All parts are said to be interchangeable.

That said, I always liked the looks of the Lorcin guns. Very visually appealing to me. Never owned one though. Came close to buying a .32ACP Lorcin once. I was bidding on an auction but wouldn't pay more than $100 including shipping so I "lost" to someone who was willing to pay more. <shrug> I honestly hope it works well for him.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Yep mine has the squared (or finger notch) in the front of the trigger guard. It's 380. I have tried multiple fixes to no avail. Always will not eject the last round with some random stove pipes mid mag. I always thought it had to do with it using the firing pin as the ejector! You don't manually cycle live rounds through it. The firing pin will hit the primer....hopefully not hard enough to set it off. Heard of one that did though.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Out of curiosity, what fixes did you try?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
This was actually my first thought upon reading the OP. Actually, around here you could get a NIB Hi-Point .45 for less than the price the OP stated the owner is asking for that used Cobra. The price on the .40 and .45 Hi Point pistols has finally crept above $200 for NIB but not by much - and used ones generally run less than two bills.

I bought my mom a 9mm Hi Point and she loved it. She had also been wanting a .45 so when she saw a used Hi Point .45 at the LGS recently she was interested. At that LGS, they will let us take any used gun we want to try out into their range for a 'test drive' - they will even provide a handful of ammo. First time I shot it (at about ten yards and fairly rapid rate of fire) - and only the second time I have fired a .45, period - every, single round was a 'headshot' on the B27 target. Mom did equally as well aiming at the X in the center of the target. She bought the gun and I have since shot it a few more times. It shoots great. As long as I have a choice I wouldn't carry a Hi Point but that is mostly because I don't want to carry a striker fired pistol. That is just me and for that same reason I wouldn't carry a Glock, etc. either.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I had the older version of this gun made by Republic Arms, but otherwise the same gun.

Mine worked quite well. I have no experience with the Cobra version.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts