Cobalt Boron Nitride Plating

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sprinter1, Jan 14, 2008.

1. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Yesterday I posted about a P3-AT restoration I did and used this plating solution. http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1200253566

I wish I could take credit for finding it, but it was specified by a customer for some custom parts we made. I had a few emails asking about it so I did some research today. The patent holder and sole distributor of the plating solution is in Germany, but they were kind enough to give me phone numbers of 3 plating shops that use it for guns. I was able to talk to 2 of them and they had nothing but great things to say about it. They both do plating for high end custom gun makers and competitive shooters.

The manufacture describes it as extremely hard and slick, abrasion resistant, low-friction, high lubricity coating that has the whiteness of Hard Chrome and the characteristics of diamond and graphite.

Hardness: 4140 gun steel blued 48 HRC - Nickel 45 HRC - Hard Chrome 65 HRC - Cobalt Boron Nitride 71 HRC

Friction Co-Efficient: 4140 gun steel blued .19 - Nickel .13 - Hard Chrome .1 - Cobalt Boron Nitride .04

Both shops plates the inside of the barrel and had similar chrono tests of a 4%-8% gain in velocity compared to a similar non plated barrel.

Now I can see why the P3-AT I plated is so smooth. The next step is to plate a slide and barrel.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    How much of that P3AT did you use this plating

I though it was Park on slide/barrel and nickel on trigger group

OK, I see where in post #22 where you observed the nickel was the colbalt

Is this the same stuff at Caswell

3. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    It is not even close to what Caswell has, Caswell is more for the hobbiest and not commercial plating. Caswell is electroless, which is layered on, more like bluing. The Caswell is single stage h-BN boron, the commercial is a binary h-BN, c-BN boron plus Co Cobalt.

4. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Here is how I spent my morning. I know it's a PF-9, but it is plated with Cobalt Boron Nitride. It's as smooth as silk ;)

[​IMG]

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Wow! That sounds like a great plating option if the price would be in line with Nickel and HC.

Please keep us informed!

Bobo

6. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    It's about 8% more than HC for chemical costs.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Are you now accepting slides/barrels and if so how Much

8. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I'm really not sure if I'm going to offer it. The tank I have now is left over from an old job and would need to be replaced and I'm not sure if enough people would be interested to justify the chemicals and anodes cost.

9. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    If we have enough interest the pricing would be:

P-32 / P3-AT barrel and slide $78 (blued version only) Internal parts $40

P-11 / PF-9 barrel and slide $85 (blued version only) Internal Parts $40

Barrel and slides are stripped of bluing and bead blasted before plating, Internal parts are stripped, polished, plated and polished again.

10. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Say when!

PshootR

11. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
  12. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    sprinter,
    If you do actually start to offer this, I'd be interested.

13. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    I have a Fuselier slide plated P-11 and P-3AT.  What would each barrel run and what would each gun's internal parts run?  Sounds like a pretty great option.

Have you noticed a difference in how the PF-9 shoots after the plating?

Regards,
    Lynnsky

14. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Lynnsky,

The PF-9 is much smoother after the plating. I'm not sure what benefit you would gain from plating the barrel, you will gain less drag from the barrel to slide friction but you won't be getting the major advantage of the slide lubricant of the Cobalt Boron Nitride. Nickel is really a poor choice for gun plating, it is soft and will stain. Hard Chrome or Cobalt Boron Nitride is a much better choice for lubrication, hardness and stain resistance. I added the specs of each material:

Hardness: 4140 gun steel blued 48 HRC - Nickel 45 HRC - Hard Chrome 65 HRC - Cobalt Boron Nitride 71 HRC

Friction Co-Efficient: 4140 gun steel blued .19 - Nickel .13 - Hard Chrome .1 - Cobalt Boron Nitride .04

As you can see the Nickel isn't even as hard as the gun steel.

The good news is we can activate the nickel and plate over it.

Plating the internal parts makes the trigger pull much smoother.

As far as your more personal problem I'm not sure how the Hardness or Slickness of the plating can help you out ;D

15. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Ah, that would be the ticket.  Never thought about the fact you could plate over the Nickel.  The picture of your PF-9 that you plated looks mighty sweet.

Regards,
    Lynnsky

16. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    .... I'm interested in your plating services if you decide to offer 'em  :)

Regards,
    Lynnsky

Off topic comments were removed as per request

17. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Lynnsky, I will be offering the plating. The chemicals have been ordered and I should have them by the end of next week, just waiting on the truck shipping date. The prices will be what I posted earlier in this thread.

18. boatnsc

boatnsc New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Let me know when you crank up Sprinter l may hold off on my plating

19. boatnsc

boatnsc New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Sorry didnt read far enough please PM with ship and pmt.also are you saying send everything but the grip
    Not a gunsmith......

20. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    The plating tanks have been added, I'm balancing the ph levels now and should be making the Official announcement this weekend.