Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

CMR Owners Need to Step Up

5K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  KTcmr30 
#1 ·
We need more discussions in the CMR 30 forums. I know we are one of the new Kids on the site, but our numbers of discussions and messages are way low for a weapon this great. I own two CMR 30s and a PMR 30, but the CMRs are so much fun I don't shoot the PMR as much as I should. My carry is a Taurus G2 but I'm thinking about switching to the PMR with about 90 rounds on me (with less weight than the Taurus with 2 12 round clips). I don't understand all of these people saying they only load 20 or 25 rounds in a mag. I've never had a problem loading 30 rounds in any of my 8 mags. And that was even before I got my Maglula. I guess I'm just rambling now, but I love the 22wmr weapons. The rounds are down to about 19 or 20 cents now and might get lower if the world doesn't get even crazier than it is now.

#2 ·
I know I don’t post as much on my CMR cause I’ve had way fewer problems vs my PMR.
I like Kel Tecs and own a PMR, CMR, P32, CP33 & a SUB2K.
The CMR is a really clever design and works well in a light & compact package. No complaints on accuracy either. The trigger is perfect right out of the box, this thing doesn’t need any mods or fixes, just a good optic and a good forward grip.

#3 ·
Hello, first post here. I've been wanting to buy a CMR 30 for some time. Now is a bad time if I want a deal, but my wife agreed I could finally get one so screw it! I'll pay the $600 for one.

Anyway, this post was exactly what i was thinking when i was reviewing the CMR board. (I also carry a Taurus G2, so once i get my CMR and PMR, we're pretty much the same person).

Edit: forgot to add...
Like wanderson mentioned, and i've read, people have issues with them. That's why they're not as popular and as much discussion. Also, people don't trust the rimfire cartridge. Which, i'm the DIY type of guy and am willing to try different things to get this pup running 100% of the time..all the time.

#4 · (Edited)
Be sure to get that maglula loader. it will cancel out 90% + of all problems. and put a drop of rem oil or such on the extractor every once in a while. You won't have any problems at all with the 40 grain stuff in either weapon. The only brand of ammo I've had a problem with is the Winchester. Won't buy anymore. It's a shame since they invented the 22wmr.

#15 ·
I've owned a CMR30 for just about a year. I usually go to the range at least once a week, sometimes two, and I usually shoot about 150 rounds each time I go. The only problem I encountered is a broken firing pin which was easily replaced. I mounted a Cabelas Firebolt 3x red dot (actually red, green and black) optic and it has held true since I installed it.

My son-in-law bought a CMR30 and so has my son (both have ARs). I also have a PMR30 that has performed very well.

Both weapons have, in my opinion, the best triggers available out of the box of any weapon on the market. The Walther PPQ is supposed to have that distinction and since I have the PPQ sub compact in 9 mm, I can say that the KelTec triggers are better in my opinion.

Great fun to shoot, accurate out to about 150 yards and rounds are inexpensive (when you can find any ammo).

As TZcomp said, a mag loader is essential for problem free shooting. I have a Maglula designed for the CMR/PMR platforms.

#25 ·
Just got out this weekend finally with my cmr for the first time (bought it brand new).

Quick range report.

I did the mcarbo upgrades (ss feed ramp and upgraded mag catch). The model CMR i have still has plastic mags, not aluminum, which are the new mags correct?

Anyway, I ran 275 rounds through it. When i loaded it with the maglula loader, either mag with 25 rounds or less ran 100% flawless. If it was over, 25 rounds, it would eject but the bolt would slide over the next round without feeding it. I would charge the rifle again and it would start running fine. If i loaded them myself without the maglula, I had more issues, but I don't think i had any issues if i had 20 rounds or less in the mag, handloaded or maglula loaded.

I didn't want to load anything over 25 rounds anyway with these new mags because the rounds would start denting pretty bad at that point. When i put the gun away on Saturday, I left 30 rounds loaded in each mag. Hopefully that relieves some pressure from the springs.

I did not have any stovepipes or any issues of that nature. Just the bolt riding over like i explained above. I tried to run it through the ringer a little bit, I did get that barrel pretty darn hot a couple of times. I also did not do any cleaning, i'm going to bring out again and see how many rounds i can pop off before I start running into reliability issues.

Anyway, i'm extremely happy the way it ran for the first time. I'm glad i just went with the Mcarbo upgrades right away instead of wasting time and ammo on the stock parts.

#26 ·
Just got out this weekend finally with my cmr for the first time (bought it brand new).

Quick range report.

I did the mcarbo upgrades (ss feed ramp and upgraded mag catch). The model CMR i have still has plastic mags, not aluminum, which are the new mags correct?
I think all CMR/PMR mags are polymer (plastic).

#27 ·
I found with my both CMR and PMR-30's magazines when new, they didn't like to be loaded to 30 rounds. First 2, 30 in the mag, had problems. Next 6, I loaded to 25, and they all ran great, after all mags had been shot at 25 rounds, loaded to 30 from then on out. So far so good.
Edit, I use the Maglula loader, way easier, better loading into the mag.

#28 ·
Speaking about the magazines, I found that if you disassemble them, spray a little white lithium grease (or use a cloth with a little sprayed on it) to clean and lube the inside of the magazine and spring occasionally, they seem to work with less friction. Wipe them well and don't leave a lot in the mag. Just be warned, the first time I removed the bottom plate, everything was ok until I tried to reassemble it. Then I slipped and let the spring fly. I found the spring and the bottom plate, but I never saw the spring plate again. I had to order one from Kel-Tec for about $4.50. I'm much more careful now.

#32 ·
The only dry lube i have is that Hornady one shot for cases. Think that would work?

Btw, I ran a few more mags through my cmr again. Same issues as last time. The bolt kept riding over top of the first five rounds. Then the last 25 would run just fine. So I'm thinking that the issue im having is the rounds are binding up in the mag and not pushing the rounds up hard enough. Hence, why I want to try some sort of mag mod or lubrication trick.

#33 ·
Dry lubes are all basically teflon with a solvent. The solvent evaporates and leaves the teflon behind. Many companies make them. They're all good. I have one in a spray, I think it's PB Blaster. and one in a dropper can, I think by 3 in 1. What's good about them is they don't collect gunk like oily lubes.

#35 ·
I didn't use it in the action. I used the Mcarbo CLR, cleaner, lubricant, preservative.

Here's where I had great success with the dry lube. I had 400 polymer coated bullets that were failing to eject like every other one at the range. I coated them all with the dry lube. After they dried, you couldn't tell they were lubed. I took them back to the range and went through them all, with no problems and no residue in the gun.

#37 ·
That's what's great about dry lube. No residue. Try it on a nail or something like that at your tool bench and, after it dries compare it to one you didn't treat.

Even though I'm a retired old fart, I'm still a newbie at firearms, so I don't have enough experience to compare shavings and carbon. I remember getting more lead shavings than brass shavings, but I was using some cheap $.04 ammo I was lucky to get at walmart.

This was in my P17, which I practice with the most, because of ammo costs. From what I've saved practicing with it and my used Marlin 60 over the cost of 22 mag ammo, I've gotten the P17 and the Marlin for free. I still end the shoot with my PMR-30 or my CMR-30, though, so my skills transfer over.

I need to go back to the range again soon and shoot some more so I can save enough to get another P17 (if I can ever find one). Isn't that the way gun owner math works?

#38 ·
I need to go back to the range again soon and shoot some more so I can save enough to get another P17 (if I can ever find one). Isn't that the way gun owner math works?
No, in my experience, every time you pay $400 on your credit card, you go buy another $400 gun (lol).

#39 ·
I am a new CMR 30 owner and it was truly love at first sight. I originally bought it for my wife ;) and she finally shot it for the first time yesterday after I sighted it in. I've got a Magpul vertical grip on it and it's super comfy and she was all smiles after firing off the first few rounds. As I posted in another forum, I have noticed small nicks/gouges in the upper part of the ejection port and on the lower edge of the butt stock rail and tiny brass shards in the receiver. After reading, it seems to be a common issue. The gun seems to be pretty easy to clean - easier than my AR that is and I'm looking to do some upgrades. I'm a DIY gunsmith and have built several AR's so I feel confident I can do the feed ramp upgrade. Will this upgrade void my warranty? Also, is anyone using the Cornerstone safety thumb ledge? It looks a bit large so I have a notion of making my own custom part with some ridges in it and who knows - maybe I'll patent it and put it out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.