CMR Owners Need to Step Up

Discussion in 'CMR-30' started by tzcomp, Sep 2, 2020.

1. tzcomp

tzcomp Active Member

Dec 15, 2018
    We need more discussions in the CMR 30 forums. I know we are one of the new Kids on the site, but our numbers of discussions and messages are way low for a weapon this great. I own two CMR 30s and a PMR 30, but the CMRs are so much fun I don't shoot the PMR as much as I should. My carry is a Taurus G2 but I'm thinking about switching to the PMR with about 90 rounds on me (with less weight than the Taurus with 2 12 round clips). I don't understand all of these people saying they only load 20 or 25 rounds in a mag. I've never had a problem loading 30 rounds in any of my 8 mags. And that was even before I got my Maglula. I guess I'm just rambling now, but I love the 22wmr weapons. The rounds are down to about 19 or 20 cents now and might get lower if the world doesn't get even crazier than it is now.

TerryJ, BlackDogTX1 and jaboomgaarden like this.
  2. wanderson

wanderson Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I know I don’t post as much on my CMR cause I’ve had way fewer problems vs my PMR.
    I like Kel Tecs and own a PMR, CMR, P32, CP33 & a SUB2K.
    The CMR is a really clever design and works well in a light & compact package. No complaints on accuracy either. The trigger is perfect right out of the box, this thing doesn’t need any mods or fixes, just a good optic and a good forward grip.

BlackDogTX1 likes this.

3. jaboomgaarden

jaboomgaarden Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Hello, first post here. I've been wanting to buy a CMR 30 for some time. Now is a bad time if I want a deal, but my wife agreed I could finally get one so screw it! I'll pay the $600 for one.

Anyway, this post was exactly what i was thinking when i was reviewing the CMR board. (I also carry a Taurus G2, so once i get my CMR and PMR, we're pretty much the same person).

Edit: forgot to add...
    Like wanderson mentioned, and i've read, people have issues with them. That's why they're not as popular and as much discussion. Also, people don't trust the rimfire cartridge. Which, i'm the DIY type of guy and am willing to try different things to get this pup running 100% of the time..all the time.

4. tzcomp

tzcomp Active Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Be sure to get that maglula loader. it will cancel out 90% + of all problems. and put a drop of rem oil or such on the extractor every once in a while. You won't have any problems at all with the 40 grain stuff in either weapon. The only brand of ammo I've had a problem with is the Winchester. Won't buy anymore. It's a shame since they invented the 22wmr.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  5. jaboomgaarden

jaboomgaarden Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Good to know thank you. Now I just have to find one for a decent price

I'll post something on the classifieds thread.

6. tzcomp

tzcomp Active Member

Dec 15, 2018
    If I find a third I'll contact you.

jaboomgaarden likes this.
  7. jaboomgaarden

jaboomgaarden Member

Aug 23, 2020
    I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Cant post on classifieds yet. Need 25 posts. Might take me some time for that.

8. tzcomp

tzcomp Active Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Not too long. I just started about three weeks ago and I hit 25 with this reply.

BlackDogTX1 likes this.
  9. jaboomgaarden

jaboomgaarden Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Haha nice. Glad I could help

10. BlackDogTX1

BlackDogTX1 Member

May 22, 2020
    I have been very pleased with my CMR. Buy the lulaloader and find out which loads your CMR likes and let it rip, tater chip!

11. jaboomgaarden

jaboomgaarden Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Found a brand new in box one for $500, on its way! Also ordered the maglula per your suggestions.

Anybody have any experience with the Dan Haga Designs upgraded butt pad?

tzcomp likes this.
  12. BlackDogTX1

BlackDogTX1 Member

May 22, 2020

I totally agree on the Winchester ammo. Relegated that to my Savage 93 as it will not feed reliably in the CMR. Mine loves the 40 grain jhp Fiocchi for sure and most other 40 grain jacketed loads.

13. tzcomp

tzcomp Active Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Great! Now I can keep the third one.

14. CMR30Operator

CMR30Operator Member

May 27, 2019
    Just installed mine. Was as simple as knocking the pin out, then the old but pad, lining up the holes with Dan's but pad and tapping the pin back in. Maybe 5min job. Feels tons better. Weighs more and pushes the balance back some, which I like. Haven't shot with it yet, but don't expect that to change my perspective much. Feels and looks much better IMO.

Got the charging handle as well. Less impressed here, for the money it should have a detent and the folding handle is of far looser fit than anticipated. The later part is forgivable given it is intended to collapse when the bolt is returned but was disappointing as I like to wrap my thumb there with an angled grip positioned just so that it is comfy... This feels cheeper now due to the wobble of the handle.

jaboomgaarden likes this.
  15. davidc1225

davidc1225 Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I've owned a CMR30 for just about a year. I usually go to the range at least once a week, sometimes two, and I usually shoot about 150 rounds each time I go. The only problem I encountered is a broken firing pin which was easily replaced. I mounted a Cabelas Firebolt 3x red dot (actually red, green and black) optic and it has held true since I installed it.

My son-in-law bought a CMR30 and so has my son (both have ARs). I also have a PMR30 that has performed very well.

Both weapons have, in my opinion, the best triggers available out of the box of any weapon on the market. The Walther PPQ is supposed to have that distinction and since I have the PPQ sub compact in 9 mm, I can say that the KelTec triggers are better in my opinion.

Great fun to shoot, accurate out to about 150 yards and rounds are inexpensive (when you can find any ammo).

As TZcomp said, a mag loader is essential for problem free shooting. I have a Maglula designed for the CMR/PMR platforms.

BlackDogTX1 likes this.
  16. tzcomp

tzcomp Active Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Wallyworld just went up .50 a box on CCI Maxi-Mags if you can find them.

17. jaboomgaarden

jaboomgaarden Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Online prices are sitting at 25 cents a round.

I think the only way we're going to able to get those prices down is if we all work together and shoot much more 22 wmr, so we drive the demand up and eventually economies of scale will kick in once supplies catches up to push the prices down. Its the long play

tzcomp likes this.
  18. tzcomp

tzcomp Active Member

Dec 15, 2018