Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
A lot of people dump on my Kel Tecs until they shoot them. I was hoping that the steel match would be another occasion of awesome performance but it was not a good PR day for Kel Tec.
People that have negative comments on brands, calibers, models, etc. that they have no experience with are ignorant. I give little to no credence to anybody commenting about subjects they know nothing about. I like to hear from people with actual experience in the subject discussed. Maybe that's why many people consider me an $%$#@%$.
:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Once again though, does anyone else have a firing pin dent in their chamber like that?

Has anyone tried the MCARBO metal feed ramp in their CMR?
Not in a CMR but I did put the MCarbo ramp in my Sub2k. That polymer ramp is bound to chip or deform after a while, IMHO. Sounds/looks like yours twisted. I found the stainless to feel a lot more stable. Couldn’t hurt to try it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't have any experience at all with this gun and I am generally a fan of Kel Tec, but I had to tell you that this particular gun was described to me by a well known smith/builder as a " Dumpster fire"

Don't kill the messenger please.

·
Registered
165 Posts
TolusD, I think I have read that Kel-tec will install the ss feed ramp for you. See if they will while they have it. Then it would definitely not void the warranty. They work closely with Mcarbo.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't have any experience at all with this gun and I am generally a fan of Kel Tec, but I had to tell you that this particular gun was described to me by a well known smith/builder as a " Dumpster fire"

The "well known smith/builder" might not like it because it seems to be easy enough for a rank amateur like me to follow youtube videos and Kel-tec will often send the parts free so they don't have to repair all problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Will that be OK with warranty?
It seems like a good idea to me.
If it isn't the fix, you can remove it for KT service then put it back.
I'm not sure about the warranty. Kel Tec apparently performs factory installs of some of MCARBO's parts so I'd call it a strong "maybe" that they'd void me for putting my own part in. I would call it a definitely if I did it wrong and actually caused more issues instead of fixing them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
TolusD, I think I have read that Kel-tec will install the ss feed ramp for you. See if they will while they have it. Then it would definitely not void the warranty. They work closely with Mcarbo.
Yeah, I saw that on MCARBO's site. They don't list anything for the CMR that Kel Tec currently supports, but I'll definitely ask them about it.

But like I've said, it ran perfectly up to now and it didn't have any mods at all so if they can just put it back to that condition I'll be happy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)

That's not been my experience with it at all. People have said that about my RFB until they shoot it. Most of those people that I've talked to personally have never owned the gun they're shitting on. Usually they watched something on You Tube that was the basis for their opinion or, like in my case, were at a range or a match where someone's gun experienced a malfunction.

I've shot competition matches where I've seen Kimbers, STI's, Glocks, and just about every kind of gun imaginable have mechanical failures. A month ago I watched a friend of mine who loads his own ammo run a double charged 9mm through his custom Glock and literally grenade it. The entire gun exploded; the barrel looked like something out of a cartoon.

Guns fail, especially when you shoot the shit out of them. It's just a normal part of owning a machine much like a car. The CMR is quirky for sure and yes, the mags are not idiot proof, and Kel Tec did cut some corners to keep the price down but it's a long way from being bad enough to call a "dumpster fire". The trigger is amazing out of the box. The ergonomics are also perfect as is its overall aesthetic. The adjustable, collapsing stock is crazy good, and above and beyond everything else, the CMR is an absolute tack driver with no real recoil at all.

And it has a lifetime warranty so I don't need to seek out any "well known builders" to work on it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm thinking about the stainless steel ramps just because it would be an improvement and might help from future problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm thinking about the stainless steel ramps just because it would be an improvement and might help from future problems.
I emailed Lynne in Customer Service and asked her about them so I'll let you know what she says.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just got this reply:

Yes, we can install certain MCarbo parts here. It's a $40 labor fee.
Buy all the parts from them and include them in the box with the firearm when you send it in. . We'll contact you for payment once the gunsmith gets to it.
You can leave accessories on your CMR30, we are not responsible for any damages that may occur.

Sincerely,
Lynne B.
KelTec Customer Service

·
Registered
165 Posts
Guns fail, especially when you shoot the **** out of them. It's just a normal part of owning a machine much like a car. The CMR is quirky for sure and yes, the mags are not idiot proof, and Kel Tec did cut some corners to keep the price down but it's a long way from being bad enough to call a "dumpster fire". The trigger is amazing out of the box. The ergonomics are also perfect as is its overall aesthetic. The adjustable, collapsing stock is crazy good, and above and beyond everything else, the CMR is an absolute tack driver with no real recoil at all.
I love your description! My thoughts exactly but I couldn't say it as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mcarbo doesn't make a feed ramp for the CMR, you have to use a PMR and modify it it.
Quote:
"Designed for PMR30 but would also fit in CMR30 with minor fitting. See the CMR30 Fitment Requirements. Would also fit in the CP33 but would not be worth it, since the CP33 has the feed ramp built into the magazine instead of the pistol. (Yes, that's unusual but it's why we love KELTEC!)"

https://www.mcarbo.com/.Exploded View/CMR30-Barrel-Trunnion-Edges.jpg

https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-pmr-30-stainless-steel-feed-ramp.aspx

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mcarbo doesn't make a feed ramp for the CMR, you have to use a PMR and modify it it.
Yup. It just came today. Hopefully, I'll install it tonite, along with the mag release upgrade. Already did both on 2 PMR's so I feel confident about it.

The only difference with the CMR is you have to take off two little burrs. It looks easy enough.

Hopefully to the range with it soon. I'll update about that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only difference with the CMR is you have to take off two little burrs. It looks easy enough.
cool, I doubt TolusD will do that as he doesn't do any 'smithing' on guns.
though his problem is probably just a dirty firing pin, shame to send it to Keltec to be cleaned.

·
Registered
154 Posts
People that have negative comments on brands, calibers, models, etc. that they have no experience with are ignorant. I give little to no credence to anybody commenting about subjects they know nothing about. I like to hear from people with actual experience in the subject discussed. Maybe that's why many people consider me an $%$#@%$.
:)
I just realized that I said people inexperienced with a product are ignorant! My apologies. I meant ignorant of the product! Not ignorant in general. I recall arguing interminally with a guy at work about the difference in felt recoil of when firing .45 hardball from a S&W 1917 revolver versus the firing the same ammo in a 1911. I had both and had done the firing side by side at the range. I finally asked him if he had ever fired a .45 acp revolver. When he said "no" I couldn't believe he had had been arguing with me so fervently. I simply then told him to come argue with me after he had tried it and don't waste my time until then. He was P.O.'ed. Too bad. He was a great Network Engineer and a great auto handgunner, just inexperience about this one thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just realized that I said people inexperienced with a product are ignorant! My apologies. I meant ignorant of the product! Not ignorant in general. I recall arguing interminally with a guy at work about the difference in felt recoil of when firing .45 hardball from a S&W 1917 revolver versus the firing the same ammo in a 1911. I had both and had done the firing side by side at the range. I finally asked him if he had ever fired a .45 acp revolver. When he said "no" I couldn't believe he had had been arguing with me so fervently. I simply then told him to come argue with me after he had tried it and don't waste my time until then. He was P.O.'ed. Too bad. He was a great Network Engineer and a great auto handgunner, just inexperience about this one thing.
so true, try a 30.06 bolt action compared to a M1Garand, quite the difference in recoil effect!
A 12 gauge 870 to a 1100, same. Auto's absorb a lot of energy

21 - 40 of 64 Posts