Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I posted on here a while ago when I got my CMR and wow, what a great gun. Accurate, great trigger, cool looking, ergonomically nice... Weird mags but the Nest loader fixed that. I love this thing. I've shot probably 1000 rounds through it since I bought it. All of them have been the bulk "Choot Em" CCI Maxi Mags and it's run flawlessly up to now.

Which brings me to now. Now, it will chamber the first round, sometimes, fire the first round about 70% of the time, fire a second round about 10% of the time, and fail to extract the fired round about 90% of the time.

When it doesn't feed the first round, the bolt has slammed into it halfway in the chamber and bent it so it's not useable. When it fires the first round it almost never extracts it an if it does, the 2nd round almost always loads halfway and then gets bent in half.

I have 5 mags and all 5 of them do the same thing. I've loaded 5, 10, 1, 20, 12 rounds... It all goes the same. Even when I load by hand or with the Nest it just doesn't fire anymore. And that's the most baffling part. It has run like a sewing machine right up to now. SO I think something broke internally and I tear it down.

I found 2 possible things wrong:

1) The Feed Ramp block in the grip housing seem to be canted out of alignment slightly. If you look down at it while holding the grip, the left side of the ramp is several hundredths out of square with its alignment slot.

2) The firing pin seems to have punched an indentation into the chamber face.

I considered that this might be what's causing the fired rounds to hang so I ran a full mag of ammo through manually by just cycling the charging handle. It ejected every round flawlessly but still failed to fully load every 2nd or 3rd round unless I really slammed the handle back hard and didn't ride it forward at all.

Has anyone else seen these kinds of issues? There are many threads about similar problem with feeding and extraction, but has anyone had them diagnosed to misaligned feed ramps or chamber face burrs caused by the firing pin?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are pics of some ammo that was ejected and pics of the feed ramp and chamber face indentation. I think that burr may be high enough to be causing the feed problem and the extraction problem but I'm not 100% sure.

Damaged Ammo_2.jpg Damaged Ammo_3.jpg Damaged Ammo_1.jpg Feed Ramp Misaligned.jpg Firing Pin Chamber Damage.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought a used CMR 30 (to go with the new one I bought a couple of years ago) last month and it was doing almost exactly as you are describing. I scrubbed the ramp with rem oil on a q-tip vigorously and sprayed a light mist of rem oil on the extractor. Then I extracted a full magazine by cycling the charging handle and now it runs perfectly. You might just need to use a very fine emery cloth on the feed ramp. I'm not a gunsmith but it seems like it would help. Based on your pictures of the crimped rounds, are you sure your loader isn't bad? I also took the mags apart and cleaned and lubed them with silicone grease.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks like you may have some build up in your chamber as well... Hard to be certain with the pic.

If you have a small burr look at using flex hone... Would help with any buildup for sure as well... But read up on it first, you can over do it etc. See if it makes sense for what you see on your end and your comfort level.

I can describe my chamber as mirror like.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/08/flex-hone-new-option-maintenance-without-damaging-gun/

When in doubt consult a gun smith.

I am not a gun smith.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Looks like you may have some build up in your chamber as well... Hard to be certain with the pic.

If you have a small burr look at using flex hone... Would help with any buildup for sure as well... But read up on it first, you can over do it etc. See if it makes sense for what you see on your end and your comfort level.
Operator, that flex hone looks amazing. I'm going to get some just for my ramps.

·
9,946 Posts
My first thought was that maybe your CMR-30 just needs a good cleaning, and there may be some buildup in the chamber that's making it a little bit tighter than usual and that could cause failures to feed. My second thought was maybe the feed ramp had become dirty or dinged/scratched. Those are still possibilities in my opinion, but after looking at your pictures, that firing pin indentation at the bottom of the rear of the chamber looks like it could be interfering with the feeding. If it's not a camera optical illusion and you can feel it with a probe sliding across the bottom of the chamber opening, I'd polish that area to remove any pinging from the firing pin. Just out of curiosity, are you dry firing your CMR-30 much? It wouldn't hurt to ream the chamber lightly to polish it. The goal is to polish it but not remove any significant amount of material. I'd polish the feed ramp for good measure as well.

Worst case, Kel-Tec will fix it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
First things first, I clean and lube all of my guns religiously. Down to the nap. This is not an issue that has anything to do with hygiene. Everything, every engagement surface, is polished with Flitz and cleaned after every range trip. Including the chamber and breach face which I polish with Flitz on a .22 mop chucked into a drill.

This specific failure occurred at a Steel Challenge match where, the night before, I made 100% sure that everything was in order. I did so again after I got home and that's when I first noticed the chamber burr and the misaligned feed ramp. I'd never had a reason to examine anything that closely before because the gun always ran fine.

I had to drop my RFRO entry from the match and only run my Open pistol. It was embarrassing as shit and there were a ton of "should have bought a High Point" jokes about trying to shoot a Kel Tec at a match. I usually run my Scorpion but I wanted to try the CMR in a match and this happened.

So to be clear:

1) Everything is/was very clean. I took those pics immediately after coming home from the match and tearing the gun down. I successfully fired about 10 shots before I gave up

2) Everything is/was properly assembled

3) There is no chamber residue unless something is in there that Pro Shot Copper Solvent and CLP cannot remove. I've cleaned the chamber about every 300 rounds since I got the gun. I also inspected the inside of the chamber with a USB scope and it looks fine. It will also extract unfired rounds flawlessly 100% of the time even at very slow manual cycle speeds and chambered rounds drop free under gravity alone. Only fired rounds slip the extractor and hang

4) The loader is fine and I ran multiple tests with both it and hand loaded mags that produced identical results across 5 different mags

5) I haven't dry fired the gun more than maybe a dozen times since I've had it but I have put over 1500 rounds through it. But that shouldn't matter one bit in any modern gun. If you can't drop the hammer safely without damaging the gun and it doesn't come with a decocker, I can't see how any corporate lawyer would let you sell it

6) I'm not smithing on any gun that comes with a lifetime warranty. Especially when it looks to me like there's a history of known design flaws with the CMR that are documented in this forum. I'm flirting with the idea of an MCARBO metal feed ramp but I'm not 100% sold on that being the fix here since, again, this thing ran fine before this weekend

7) The firing pin dent in the chamber face is definitely NOT an illusion. I can take a plastic cleaning pick and run it across it and feel the bump. Either the barrel wasn't tempered right or the firing pin is either too long or too high, or this is normal for the CMR and something else is wrong

I've emailed Kel Tec and I'll wait to see what they say.

In the interim, Does anyone else have a firing pin dent in their chamber like that? Has anyone tried the MCARBO metal feed ramp in their CMR?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Please don't take any offense at our attempts to offer help. We're just used to people bad mouthing the 22mag line of Kel-tec's on youtube and in forums for no reason except user mistakes. Sounds like you have tried everything you could.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not mad at anyone at all and I seriously appreciate the feedback from everyone.

I was trying to be thorough in my response in the hope that I had missed something someone had encountered before or something someone had a simple solution or a fix for that I hadn't thought of.

I love my CMR. It's been one of my favorite guns since I bought it. I'm just desperate to have it back in working order.

A lot of people dump on my Kel Tecs until they shoot them. I was hoping that the steel match would be another occasion of awesome performance but it was not a good PR day for Kel Tec.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once again though, does anyone else have a firing pin dent in their chamber like that?

Has anyone tried the MCARBO metal feed ramp in their CMR?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*** Update ***

Spoke to Sean at Kel Tec and he's sending me a shipping label. He didn't speculate about anything or provide any details but after he read my story and saw the pics he just offered the Fed Ex label.

I'll update with the results. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Has anyone tried the MCARBO metal feed ramp in their CMR?
Mine is coming tomorrow and I hope to go to the range with it Fri. I'll let you know.

On the video for the PMR-30 kit, Chris shows how the factory ramp has a bur on it from the mold. If you don't want to do the Mcarbo upgrades, you can take off the bur with a dremel or even by hand. Kel-tec shouldn't void your warranty for that. They're not that type of company.

I love the Mcarbo upgrades. I see it like taking a stock car made for the street and making it ready for the track. Not a paid spokesperson, just a happy customer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is coming tomorrow and I hope to go to the range with it Fri. I'll let you know.

On the video for the PMR-30 kit, Chris shows how the factory ramp has a bur on it from the mold. If you don't want to do the Mcarbo upgrades, you can take off the bur with a dremel or even by hand. Kel-tec shouldn't void your warranty for that. They're not that type of company.

I love the Mcarbo upgrades. I see it like taking a stock car made for the street and making it ready for the track. Not a paid spokesperson, just a happy customer.

I watched the video and after that I couldn't find the burr he was showing on my CMR. I may have just missed it though. If I get my CMR back from Kel Tec and it runs like it used to, there won't be a need to change anything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good luck. There are lemons in almost every type of manufactured products.
That's what's weird... Mine wasn't a lemon until pretty late in its life. Unless the lemon part of mine is something like a firing pin that's too long or a barrel that wasn't heat treated properly or something like that.

Either way, we'll see what they say.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I'm flirting with the idea of an MCARBO metal feed ramp
Will that be OK with warranty?
It seems like a good idea to me.
If it isn't the fix, you can remove it for KT service then put it back.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts