Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a CMR.
I finally found one and scooped it up. Took it home cleaned and oiled it.
But, almost every round is a FTF.
The mag seems to be a 1/16in too low there is a gap between it and the grip. If I press the mag up flush and hold it there it has no issues.
It does it with both of the mags it came with as well as my pmr mags.

What's the deal?
Is it misaligned? Do I have a faulty part?

·
Registered
2 Posts
CMR-30 doing the same thing ftf

Picked up my CMR-30 on 9-2-16, its doing exactly the same thing as yours, this is so frustrating. Makes no sense to me how they can ship these out the door, without testing first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is frustrating. But it is what it is. Just send it back. I am talking to myself. Lol. I got one this week after a long anticipated wait and putting it off. But this is the worst string of ftfs and jamming up out of any gun I've ever owned. I really want to keep this gun and it be dependable. I am hoping Kel-Tec sends it back in
Effect working order. Did you ever send yours back? What was the result?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Percevel. I thought I was using 40 gr but went and looked since you asked to make sure and the only ammo I used so far is 35 gr cci game points. This is what started happening the first few shots and has continued to do this using both factory mags and 300 rounds. When the gun racks a new round after a shot fired the new round will half way load (get jammed). It scars up the round pretty bad and will even bend it on a lot of them. This morning, after cleaning the gun and looking over everything, I tried again. Same results and added a new problem. This time it failed to extract the fired round and would try and feed a new round. But I'm not giving up. I know it's just a hic up. Only thing that really aggravates me is when then gun is fixed and good to go I will have to spend several hundred rounds (at least a couple of hundred) rapid firing into the dirt bank without a issue before I have confidence.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry for being so lengthy. In short. When loading a new round it jams up loading the new round. Does this with either mag and just about every other round. This morning it failed to extract several rounds out of 15. I had to use a small, thin screwdriver to pull out the round. I didn't feel comfortable using a rod down the barrel.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jonboy. I am by no means an expert when it comes to CMR. I am going to grab mine and see if I can see what are possible things to test on the CMR.

1. Take the grip off the weapon. Look does the top front edge of the magazine line up with the bottom rear edge of the feed ramp. Mine is exactly even.

2. With the grip off does a cartridge easily slide up into the chamber when feed in with your fingers? Does it slide out easily?

3. With the bolt out of the gun will the extractor claw hold a round squarely up against the breech face?

4. Next put the bolt back in and slide it back a few inches. Can you gently slide a cartridge into the chamber with you fingers then carefully slide the bolt forward and see and hear the extractor click over the rim of the round. Then slowly slide the bolt back does it extract the cartridge?

5. As the bolt slides back does the cartridge hit the ejector which knocks the cartridge out?

These are the things I would start with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After getting my CMR-30 back from Kel-tec, it seems to be working fine for now, they changed the barrel and polished the feed ramps. But next I'll probably have to send my PMR-30 back, its the least dependable gun I own. :(
They have cool looking guns, but that's about it, finished buying their products.

·
Registered
42 Posts
billy. I understand where your coming from....sort of. But I wouldn't give up on Kel-Tec by no means. They are probably the most innovative company in the market. They are awesome when it comes to making something cool firearm guys want. It's easy to take a design that's been around 100 years and copy it and put your name on it. It's a little more difficult to innovate your own idea and make a new gun. Kel-Tec is what I call a "Fun Gun". The 3 guns I enjoy the most when I go shooting is my sub200, g17, and will be this CMR. I plan on buying their 223/556. I own at 6 Kel-Tec products and have had 3 problems. 2 of them are right now and one of those is my fault. The sub2000 since its been back has had around 700 rounds through it and no problems. Just give them a chance to make it right and it will be one of your favorite guns at the range.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Percevel. Thank for the info. I saw the message last after this::: this is crazy. Day 1 with new CMR was terrible. After the bad day and some internet research I decided to thoroughly look the gun over and clean her a little and send a few more rounds down the pipe before I sent it back. Without having a lot of time I grabbed 2 loaded mags and went outside. Not a range set up but I can do 10-50 yards in my back yard. Anyways, 2 full mags=no jams, ftf, or any kind of hic ups. On the 2nd mag after 10 rapid fires I mixed it up. Shooting 5-6 rnds, unloading, clearing the chamber, reloading and repeat. WTH? I have NEVER hade these kind of problems and the miraculously the next day with same ammo, mags, everything and go to no problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well. It's official. CMR seems to be running fine. But I am completely puzzled. Several hours and many many many FTFs and jams on day 1. Day 2 out of 90 rounds everything ran fine. Zero issues. All I did was look over the gun and wipe it down a little. No oil. No real cleaning. Same mags. Same ammo. Today trying to decide if I wanted to send it back. 90 rounds 3 mags. No failures. With awesome accuracy at 50 yards with iron sights and I put on/zeroed my red dot (HOLOSUN). I am thinking of going back and deleting any problems I have had but want others to see it so they do not give up. I started with 300 rounds of 35 grain CCI game point. The 1st 120-150 was terrible. The other half ran great. I am out of 22 WMR for now but have 250 30 gr hornady on the way and 40 grain cci (I think is cci) I will run a few mags and if she continues to operate like this I'm calling her good.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jonboy

It may just be that the CMR was jamming while it was still decided whether it like its new home or not. They can be kind of shy like that.

After it spent a night at its new home and realized how much you love the CMR it decided it was OK to perform well.

The CMR decided it did not want to get sent back to the mother ship but live at your house.

Please do not take it personally.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn't think about that. I will let it sleep next to me in the bed until the new ammo arrives and maybe it will do even better. Especially since I'm changing grains. Lol. I just hope the cmr ends up being one of those guns that will eat anything I feed it without a catch. I know I was surprised. I found another box of ammo (50 rounds) went through it like it's never had a problem too

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same issue. The 2 clips that came with my Titanium PMR-30 have the gap you describe and "hang down" a good 16th of an inch. I have to be firm and deliberate when inserting these clips or they don't latch. I purchased a 3rd clip at my local dealer and it slides in smooth with no fuss and no gap. I worked in quality control for more than 25 years, so this really yanks my chain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.