Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe discussions of one of the most innovative and downright fun firearms ever developed would tail off like it has. If it's because of a lack of readily available ammo, I have been in multiple Walmarts in the last two weeks in the Central Arkansas area, and all of them had Maxi Mags in FMJ and/or HP. I have seen anywhere from 2 to 8 boxes of one or both. I haven't been buying anymore because I'm fairly well stocked. If the cost of $.24 a round is too much, I sort of understand, but I can't find 9mm for less than $.35 or $.40 lately, if I can find any at all. This is a great weapon. Someone talk about it, please.!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add, I think Kel-tec should develop a similar weapon using the 22 TCM platform. Check it out:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll report back my last range trip was my very first w/o a single failure. Ran CCI game point, CCI Maxi Mag, and Federal 50 for about 500 rounds.

Really liking those MCARBO parts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll report back my last range trip was my very first w/o a single failure. Ran CCI game point, CCI Maxi Mag, and Federal 50 for about 500 rounds.

Really liking those MCARBO parts.
Good to hear from you Operator. Been a few weeks. I thought everyone had fallen out of love/hate with the CMR.

·
Grand Poobah
1,360 Posts
My CMR-30 runs well and is reasonably accurate. It's not quite the tack driver I was hoping for, but it's still quite good. It might very well do better if I put a more powerful scope on it, and more importantly, spent more time shooting it, and systematically finding what ammo it prefers. I don't seem to have the time. However, I did just come in from the range, but I was shooting handguns, including one I bought yesterday, as a combination election consolation and early birthday present. It's a revolver, so it's likely to stay legal, unlike darn near everything else I may or may not have. I've had several other recent acquisitions that I should post on the "What gun did you buy today?" thread.

If I needed to shoot coyotes, the CMR would probably do a fine job. Actually, somebody might need to shoot coyotes, since they have been getting peoples' pets in my neighborhood, but I live in an urban/suburban area, and there's way too many other things around that should not be shot. These urban coyotes will have to be dealt with some other way, or, more likely, not dealt with at all.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think there is just not a whole lot to be done with the CMR to drive conversation.

There isn't an extensive after market. The feeding problems are largely known and come down to load it right, feed it right, and fix it as needed.

Kel-tec being a 'budget' / 'quirky' brand doesn't drive conversation and brand loyalty as much as other brands.

There are probably not that many CMRs in the wild compared to a lot of guns as well.

It is silly fun to shoot and hope more people buy in. I would like to see the community and after market grow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My CMR-30 is a light weight gem. The only things I added to it are an A2 flash hider, a Sig Romeo 3 red dot and I filled the Picatinny rail with LaRue index clips.
I live outside of town. The coyotes disappeared about 2 years ago... until last night. The CMR-30 may have to speak to them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think the cmr/pmr are fine weapons. I have been lobbying for a cmr version of the cp33. The +17 round mag extensions begging for a carbine version of the cp33.
It comes down to ammo cost for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a PMR this past summer and knew after the first time shooting it that I’d have to get the CMR. Yesterday I finally bit the bullet and picked one up. Haven’t been able to shoot it yet but I think I’ll like it. One thing I’m going back and forth on is do I purchase one of the handguard extensions from Haga Defense or just one of the MLok bottom replacements. Does anyone have experience with either and able to make a recommendation?

·
Registered
86 Posts
My CMR is one of my least modified firearms I have, I find it really good right out of the box. But being a Kel Tec, you kind of have to massage it into great running, I smoothed out the feed ramp just a touch, lubed everything up heavy, work the firing operations until smooth. Then clean and lube for the range. I use the Maglula loader, and broke my mags in carefully, start with less then capacity on the first loadings or two, then go all in at 30 rounds. Slight lube on the mag on the tracks, then just load and go.

Edit; have an Ameerican Speedloader for the Kel Tec's, Maglula is for the 10/22, sorry.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My CMR is one of my least modified firearms I have, I find it really good right out of the box. But being a Kel Tec, you kind of have to massage it into great running, I smoothed out the feed ramp just a touch, lubed everything up heavy, work the firing operations until smooth. Then clean and lube for the range. I use the Maglula loader, and broke my mags in carefully, start with less then capacity on the first loadings or two, then go all in at 30 rounds. Slight lube on the mag on the tracks, then just load and go.

Edit; have an Ameerican Speedloader for the Kel Tec's, Maglula is for the 10/22, sorry.
Exactly what you have to do, especially with the CMR 30. It also works for used models. I bought one that apparently had been sold back to the gun store because of dissatisfaction, so I did all the steps that you said and it worked perfectly for me. Got a great price on it, so I'm happy and I have two now.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I purchased the American speed loader after my first trip out with my PMR and it was a great addition. I’m looking at the Haga extension mainly because I really don’t like the feel of picatinny style rails. When I removed the lower rail it’s slick and my hand slides forward a bit. I think it’d be a bit more comfortable shooting with my hand out a few more inches than I can with what’s available. I just don’t know that I’m willing to pay the $145-175 that it’ll cost to do that. I really wish that Kel Tec would just update the rifle a bit and offer a version with MLOK

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I purchased the American speed loader after my first trip out with my PMR and it was a great addition. I’m looking at the Haga extension mainly because I really don’t like the feel of picatinny style rails. When I removed the lower rail it’s slick and my hand slides forward a bit. I think it’d be a bit more comfortable shooting with my hand out a few more inches than I can with what’s available. I just don’t know that I’m willing to pay the $145-175 that it’ll cost to do that. I really wish that Kel Tec would just update the rifle a bit and offer a version with MLOK
For both of my CMR's, I just bought folding forend grips from eBay for about $15.00 each (about 1-1/2 years apart). Now you can't find the folders on eBay or amazon. I don't know why either would pull offerings for the grips, but they apparently have. They both still have the angled grips available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was able to take my CMR out for the first time but only had time to shoot 1 mag through it. Had a 4-5 failures but hope to get those worked out. I did have it lined up well, but didn’t touch the feed ramp yet. I used my American Soeedloader to load up the mag and did notice at least once the rounds weren’t seated correct when I pulled the mag. I’ll probably look after each round is loaded until the mag gets more broken in. May try my PMR mag with it next time as well to see if it makes a difference while I let these sit loaded.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Was able to take my CMR out for the first time but only had time to shoot 1 mag through it. Had a 4-5 failures but hope to get those worked out. I did have it lined up well, but didn’t touch the feed ramp yet. I used my American Soeedloader to load up the mag and did notice at least once the rounds weren’t seated correct when I pulled the mag. I’ll probably look after each round is loaded until the mag gets more broken in. May try my PMR mag with it next time as well to see if it makes a difference while I let these sit loaded.
And a Maglula so you can see what you are loading. The Maglula needs adjusting after loading from time to time as well. With the American you don't really know unless you pull it out and look every time.... Then it may shift when dropping it back in.... I have one for sale if anyone is interested. I believe you are better off learning how to hand load with my experience.

Plus one on the MCARBO parts. Read the form lots of tips.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went to the Mcarbo site, and liked the mag release mod, does the stainless feed ramp work on the CMR? It doesn't seem it would go into the gun the same as on the PMR.... I dunno.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went to the Mcarbo site, and liked the mag release mod, does the stainless feed ramp work on the CMR? It doesn't seem it would go into the gun the same as on the PMR.... I dunno.
So if you read the product page in full, you will see this link:

https://www.mcarbo.com/.Exploded View/CMR30-Barrel-Trunnion-Edges.jpg

Beyond these directions I had to bevel the bottom of the barrel trunnion so the MCARBO feed ramp provided a smooth transition into the trunnion.

I believe this may of been the origins of my feeding issue to start with.

I never noticed fit issues before installing the feed ramp, however it was obvious that the meet-up with the trunnion was adding a sharp inclination likely to introduce feeding issues after installing the MCARBO feed ramp.

I've only been out to the range twice since installing, but afterwards my reliability has noticably and dramatically increased.

I'm nearly convinced that the trunnion mods alone are mostly responsible here, but after thousands of rounds there was concerning damage to the stock ramp that made me look for alternatives to that nasty plastic.

In the end I can't say where the magic was, but after doing this and the mag release mod I've been able to shoot of 400+ rounds in a trip w/o failure. I didn't think that would be possible for a while 😂

I also used a pair of flexhones 400 and 800 grit on the firing chamber. That helped a lot with feeding issues, but it wasn't until after the two MCARBO parts and the trunnion mod did I get anything approaching reliable operation.

From what I've seen on the forum I just received a bad sample, while Keltecs have a reputation for the need of a fluff and buff in general, I am convinced now that some need a bit more TLC.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah I had seen some video of the CMR ss ramp install, didn't think it was to bad, just different then the PMR install. I think I'll order the mag mod and feed ramp for both, PMR & CMR, I like messing with my guns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts