Clip or pocket holster? Input, please.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by streetprowler, Sep 5, 2009.

1. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Okay, I got the belt clip from Kel Tec. Only thing is, I'm not too sure if I like it or not. Here it is:
    [​IMG]

Question: does anyone have this holster:
    [​IMG]
    It is from Pocketholsters.com. I want to know what you think of it, and what you think of the belt clip. I'm beginning to think this clip may not be for me, and I may be looking for a nice pocket holster.

Comments? Questions? Anecdotes?

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

3. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Desantis Nemesis pocket holster preferred here. Cover the trigger...

4. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Okay. I read the posts. I still want new input. Specifically to the P3AT. I am leaning toward a nice pocket holster, so anyone interested can recommend one. I don't think I like the clip. I don't like how it swivels on a single point of attachment, even when you lock down the nut. I don't like the way it digs into the grip of the pistol around pin #270, scarring the polymer frame. But I want opinions by those who have used it, those who have deliberately not used it, and those who generally have an opinion on the subject.

Post up.

Thanks, Checker. Appreciated.

5. haugrdr

haugrdr Well-Known Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

I use it, I like it, I have a belt clip on all my carry pistols. I've had no troubles with them. I carry my P3AT in my right front pocket when I'm wearing shorts. I don't own a holster. Mine doesn't rotate or scar up the frame/pin area.

Rick

6. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I’m happy with the belt clip. My belt clip is set up same as Streetprowler’s in the leading pic above. Wearing jeans, my P3AT fits right into my right hand change pocket, easily covered by an un-tucked shirt. Even if I move the pistol to the main pocket, I can hang it on the pocket, with only the black belt clip showing. The belt clip has never interfered with shooting. I have a leather pocket holster, much like the Nemesis, that I use for winter time coat pocket carry.

7. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster and carry it in my right front pocket. I'm really happy with the P-3AT just the way it came as new. I have no desire to add any clips or extensions.  

8. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    +1
    I had a belt clip on my P32, got a Nemesis for both P3's and haven't looked back.

CJ

9. Dugger

Dugger Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I have both on my P3AT, Use both depending on dress. Use the wallet holster if wearing jeans fits in back pocket very well, use belt clip at other times, both have a purpose

10. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Thanks all, for chiming in. Doubloon, I did read the other posts as well, thanks much for the link.

And thanks to Wheelguy; I am planning to try this today:
    I love this "car carry." I'm planning to do quite a few practice draws (unloaded weapon, of course).

11. Youngblood

Youngblood Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
  12. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I've noticed that carrying in and Uncle Mikes pocket holster with a +1 extension leads to more printing than I'd like to see. Usually I switch mags when carrying it that way.

13. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    I made my own with about $5 worth of leather.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1247978725

[​IMG]

if you google "pocket holster site:ktog.org" you'll get plenty of hits and most will be for the P3AT or P32

14. rjwiggall

rjwiggall Guest

Jul 28, 2009
    I bought mine with a clip on it and took the clip off. Something about not having the trigger covered bothered me. I carry an uncle mike's with the mod like in the pic a few replys before this one. That's the only way for me to go, but to each his own.

15. XsYang

XsYang New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I thought I would like using the clip when I bought it but I did not like the trigger not being covered.  I bought a tuckable holster but never use it.  My favorite way to carry my P3AT is my Desantis Superfly, I heard it is the upgrade to the Nemesis.  It stays in place because the outside is tacky to the touch and it has a reversible velcro cover for left/right or back/front pocket carry.  The cover stops it from printing.

16. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Even though the trigger has a long pull, I still like it being covered.
    I use the pocket holster in the first post and love it.

17. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    The clip is great and having it on there gives you more options. The trigger is covered by my belt and/or pants. I used green locktite and have no problems with swinging or loosening.

Sometimes I use a blackhawk #1 pocket holster and it works fine with the clip on the gun.

18. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I originaly put the clip on my new p3at. Didn't like it and it was scratching my brown leather belt.
    Ended up getting the Nemesis frt pocket holster from cabelas for $20.00.

Now i carry it all the time in frt. pocket.

Same with my P11 9mm. tried the clip...went with a tuckable IWB holster from cheaper than D.

19. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    I appreciate all of the input in this thread. I decided to lose the clip for now. I love the idea of the clip, but in practice it is not working for me right now. The clincher? The retaining bolt knicks up my ®hand thumb knuckle when firing. Anyone else?

20. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Besides, I really like that pocket holster...

[​IMG]