Clip Draw Effective ?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rwschill, Jan 15, 2010.

1. rwschill

rwschill New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Does anyone have experience using the Clip Draw with the KT PT3A 380 for CCW.  Is it comfortable and effective?

2. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Alot of people here use them and like them. Many carry with the gun in their watch pocket and the belt clip. I personally prefer a holster with the trigger covered.

3. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Alot of people here use them and like them. Many carry with the gun in their watch pocket and the belt clip. I personally prefer a holster with the trigger covered.

4. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    +1 The KT clip conceals better, IMO. But block that trigger.

5. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    a big +1 on BLOCK THAT TRIGGER!!!!!!! IMHO, a holster is a safer way to carry!!!

Craig

6. billjohnso20

Dec 7, 2008
    I do carry my P3AT via the KT belt clip. BUT, I use my own trigger block that is 100% foolproof at preventing the trigger from being pulled. Granted, a Crossbreed or similar holster is just as thin as the P3AT is without a holster. Whatever method you choose, holster only or just the belt clip, make certain the trigger is covered or blocked.

7. rwschill

rwschill New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I purchased a PT3A that came with the KT clip. I had planned on removing it but found that it really works and it is staying on the gun. Gun almost disappears with the clip.

8. mcinil

mcinil New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Is there a way you can post a pic or something showing how your trigger is blocked keeping it from being pulled. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

MC.

9. jim-sks

jim-sks New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I prefer a pocket holster to keep the trigger hidden.

10. billjohnso20

Dec 7, 2008
    Is there a way you can post a pic or something showing how your trigger is blocked keeping it from being pulled. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

MC.[/quote]

Sure. These two are all I have but you can see how it works. Anything that can be shaped can be made into a trigger block. You can cut a piece from a wooden dowel and shape it too. Basically, anything round that can be cut to the right thickness will do. Of course it's much easier if you have a Dremel or similar small rotary tool to shape it with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pocket holsters are great but not always practical. It all depends on the pants you're wearing. Most of mine will accommodate my P3AT pocket holster but I have a couple pair that won't. In fact I'm wearing a pair now that will not. As such, my P3AT is clipped IWB at the 4 o'clock position. That's the great thing about the KT belt clip. I have one on both my P3AT and my PF-9. The P3AT clip on both makes them look like a pocket knife with a clip. These guns are so light they don't pull downward on your waistband at all giving you a great many carry options.

11. mcinil

mcinil New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Thanks Bill.

MC.

12. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Most trigger blocks I've seen rest on the front of the trigger so that when you insert your trigger finger you automatically eject the block.

13. rosieK

rosieK New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Just a question. If the trigger block is secure enough to remain in place as you are "out and about" doing whatever all day, does it present a fraction of a second delay when you pull the firearm out now that it still has the trigger block in place? Seems to me like there is an extra step necessary, which means time, which you do not have.

14. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    This is why you want the trigger block located in front of the trigger, not behind. That way the block is removed the instant your finger moves to the trigger. It's all one movement that takes little effort.

Locating the trigger block to the rear of the trigger takes an extra step to push the block out and then move your finger to the proper shooting position. In a self defense situation, you do NOT want to have to take this extra step.

15. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    is it comfortable and effective. i use and like the kel tec belt clip. i also use the clip draw belt clip on a s&w m60. the belt clip works great. it does what it was made to do. i wear the gun inside my pants. you can not see it and/or feel it. i do not need a trigger block. the p3at has a long and heavy trigger pull and my pants/ underwear acts the same as a holster. so no trigger block needed. once i put a clip draw on a glock 27. did not use a trigger block with it. safety-t block makes a trigger block, but i have never seen a shirt, underwear, and/or pants pull a trigger. fringers pull triggers. but many will disgree with this.

16. streakpi

streakpi New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    Heck, it takes a minute just to pull the trigger...I keep nothing in my pockets other than my clipped gun...not a lot gonna mess with it.

17. morganfd9

morganfd9 Guest

I like the belt clip method, but I never carry with one in the chamber.

18. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I would like to encourage you to carry hot.

I know some people don't like "what if's," but I like to consider my options.

+What if one of your hands is injured and you only have one good hand at the time you need your weapon?

+It takes an assailant 1.5 seconds to cover 21 feet. Try drawing your weapon, racking the slide and shooting on target in less than 1.5 seconds. Now try it when the attacker surprises you and you didn't know you were going to be pulling your gun. At that moment, you will want to draw and shoot.

If you are carrying a modern firearm, they are safe and are made to be carried with a round in the chamber with complete confidence that it will NOT go off. The only way my gun can shoot is if I pull the trigger. That is my safety. :)