Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Clearing the breech

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  JFB 
#1 ·
I carry the P-3AT as my CCW, with one in the chamber.  I like to clean it about once a month.  I drop the magazine, pull back on the slide to clear the chamber but can never get this round out as it always jams and I have to dig it out.  Shouldn't this round just pop out when I pull the slide back, or is what I'm experiencing normal?  Maybe it's not coming out due to to the round not being fired and the extra length on the front end?.

#2 ·
more than likely the slide is not being pulled all the way back when you clear the chamber.

I know the amount of clearance between barrel and slide on the P32 is just larger than the longest bullet that could be feed from magazine. several people have posted similair questions about P32

I haven't check the P3T that close since clearing problems have not been posted.

suggest assembling pistol with out recoil springs and place a round between pulled back slide and barrel and see if there is any clearance.

If you are positiveyou will not pull the trigger, you could clear a few rounds with springs removed
However Don't fire a round with out springs

#3 ·
My p3at is my backup gun. When I get home I always remove from my pocket and its holster and drop the mag, rack the slid and the one in the chamber flys out like in any other gun. (ps. my glock stays loaded on the night stand). Is it possible your not pulling the slide back the whole way? Or not racking it in a smooth motion? Is the gun level when you do this?

#5 ·
I almost never get the round to jump out the ejection port. They usually drop down thru the mag well. I know I'm not yanking the slide to the rear. That's why they don't eject normally. ;)

#7 ·
RAT76 said:
I almost never get the round to jump out the ejection port.  They usually drop down thru the mag well.  I know I'm not yanking the slide to the rear.  That's why they don't eject normally.   ;)
I generally have my hand over the ejection port when clearing - that's why they drop through the mag well.
But just cause I'm too lazy to chase them. :cool:

#9 ·
Has your chamber been fluffed and buffed? Does it jam at all when firing? I always tilt the gun almost upside down, cupping the hand I'm racking with I catch the round as it falls out. Sometimes I might have to jiggle and shake it a little but if the slide's pulled all the way back it works.

#11 ·
Thanks guys for all of your suggestions, but I'm beginning to think that since I've had the whole slide assembly nickel plated , my hand is slipping and I'm not getting the slide all the way back.  I also feel that my springs are a little stiffer since adding the washer, maybe I just have to shoot it a lttle more to loosen things up.  I haven't shot it as much as I would have liked to due to the ammo situation.

#12 ·
adding the nylon washer, even with fitting to the tapper of the bottom of the hole in the slide, could (will) result in the factroy springs going solid before the slide contacts the frame. this could stop you from pulling the slide all the way back. you should perform the observation of this by looking through the grip. I like to make an observation with the springs removed to ensure I can distingish when slide/frame contact is made.

if the installation of the washer causes the springs to go coil to coil prematurely, during firing it is very likely the coils will be forced over another and a coil deformation be observed during disassembly.

the solid coil lenght of the Wolff were less than the factory and the only reason I left one installed after my little evaluation (see sticky)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.