Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick reminder, its a good idea to inspect and clean your carry weapon frequently. I have not looked that close at my carry P3ATs for a few weeks and examined one today while sitting around with nothing better to do for a few minutes... BOY-HOWDY it it loaded up with some lint and dust. It needs gun scrubbed and CLPd for sure. I don't think it would not fire if necessary, but its dirtier than I would like!

-Scott

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yea, anything that sits in a holster or pocket for long periods of time should have a quick clean and re-lube even if its not fired. Even safe or nightstand kept guns should once in awhile be checked yet not needed as often as a carried one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Seriously, revolvers were used in those days and they are very insensitive to cleaning. However, you would have had to clean it because this was before non-corrosive priming and powder and your barrel and cylinder would rust like crazy and then a clean rear view mirror would make no difference

·
Registered
79 Posts
always1stnline said:
Seriously, revolvers were used in those days and they are very insensitive to cleaning. However, you would have had to clean it because this was before non-corrosive priming and powder and your barrel and cylinder would rust like crazy and then a clean rear view mirror would make no difference  

The whole point of my round-a-bout logic in my post was that it would be beneficial to shoot it more often and becoming more proficient with it.

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but the black powder percussion revolvers used in those times, (Wild Bill favored a pair of Colt .36 cal. Navies carried butt forward in his sash), were VERY sensitive to fouling with black powder residue. My Pietta replica 1858 Remington Army will often begin to load up after a dozen shots or even less when shot with fffg black powder. The Colts are somewhat more forgiving with their different design, but still cleaning is a must. Also, black powder residue is VERY corrosive, or at least attracts moisture which leads to rust. Not sure which.

always1stnline said:

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
PatrickS said:
I believe that was Wild Bill Hickock
The reason he did that was because it was a cap and ball revolver. You don't want to carry around a gun that's been loaded like that with the same charge very long as the powder attracts moisture and will misfire.

As for the lint problem why do people put their guns in dirty pockets is what I wonder? How hard is it to turn your pockets wrong side out clean them before putting your gun in them? I've carried my gun for months at a time without cleaning and it won't look dirty because it don't get dirty that way if you also have a pocket holster that covers up everything but the butt end of it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The slight oil residue seems to attract dust & lint - even though I use a pocket holster - but it is open at the end -

Since it only takes 5 minutes to dust it off - it seems like a good thing to do every few weeks - if you have not shot it.

After cleaning I also test "fire" using a snap cap - before I reload. Gun has always fired - and it could be a waste of time - but it makes me feel good - so I do it. 90% of concealed carry is MENTAL the OTHER HALF is PHYSICAL.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I reckon the reason I don't clean my pockets out is mainly because I'm lazy by nature! I should do it though and you make a very good point.

I know it's a personal "thang" but I don't and won't use a pocket holster so the sweat's still gonna get on it which makes it more needy of checking and cleaning anyhow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.