Cleaning the spring in the grip

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by marshall, Nov 6, 2009.

1. marshall

marshall New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    How do you all clean the spring inside the grip? Mine is covered with fuzz, but I can't get my toothbrush in there.

2. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Hammer spring, mag release spring, trigger spring, assembly pin catch spring, or hammer block spring?

I assume you mean the hammer spring, so the answer is compressed air.
    ETA: Or dis-assembly, but compressed air is awesome for getting where brushes can't.

GL

3. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Yep...+1

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Not to worry.  You apparently have the Texas Special ZZ Top Edition.   :cool:

5. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I use compressed air, but when things get really dirty, I take everything apart, and give my grip a bath in the sink with hot, soapy water.

6. marshall

marshall New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Shampoo and blowdry? :)

7. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Thanks for the heads up on the compressed air. I was wondering about that spring as well. Don't have any compressed air with my cleaning supplies. I will now though.

Keep up the good work on the these types of suggestions. Sometimes the obvious slips right by us (maybe just me).

8. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Yeah, got to clean the old gal up once a year. Amazing how much crud accumulates with pocket carry.

The compressed air/gas (I use the computer/electonics gas in a can) is a must have for so many things.

-firearms
    -computers
    -turn upside down and freeze bugs

9. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Maybe an odd question but . . . are there any dangers of getting a spring like that too cold? I know some aspects of metal working involve super cooling the metal, I just dont remember what it does. Seems like i remember it hardening the metal. Seems hardening a spring would make it break . . . I may be completely wrong about that, and the compressed air in a can may not get that cold anyway, just wondering if anyone knows.

10. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Good question. I'm by no means an expert so take my opinion for what it's worth. I would guess that if you somehow got the spring real frosty it might effect it, but I doubt anything you do with a compressed air can would do it.

11. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    No.

Particularly not if you let it warm back up to room temp before using to prevent any cold-related brittleness (there should be practically none at these temperatures).

Cryo treating is used sometimes in the knife/sword making industry. Hardening and Tempering (two separate things - both falling under "heat treating") are very precisely measured events and calibrated to the specific metallurgy in question. The heat treat temp and time as well as cryo treat are different for, say D2 Tool Steel (since it's ostensibly "air hardening") than they are for 1065.

Don't worry about getting a little bit of the liquid on the spring and then having it evaporate off quickly making it extra cold. Your bigger concern would be the water condensate on the spring.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

Oh...the joys of spring making been there and done that with leaf springs. The super coolingng you are talking about is when a spring is cooled from 1650 dgrees F to room temp in a matter of seconds when its quenched. The metal is then tempered by reheating to a cooler temperature and allowing it to slowly cool the second time changing its crystaline structure giving it memory, and flexibility. The temperatures you are going to get from compressed air aren't cold enough to shatter steel, and the part is so thin it would be close to room temp after a couple of minutes too. Cleaning with compressed air should be safe for both your spring and your P3AT.

13. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Thanks for the reply, but actually the super cooling i'm refering to is not just the traditional quenching and tempering process.  It is a cooling to lower than room temperature after the tempering process is done.  It is discussed quite a bit in dealing with increasing the life of target barrels.  I have assumed that increasing wear resistance would mean hardening, but I dont know if that is exactly right.  From what I re-read quickly just now it involved cooling the barrels to -300 F to produce a more consistant structure to the steel.  I still dont fully understand the details of the process though, and I'm not sure how cold that compressed air can get something.  Anyone happen to know how cold that stuff gets? Also, sorry if I'm getting this too off track. If I'm out of line here someone please let me know and this aspect of the discussion can be moved to a seperate thread. I learn a lot from this site, and I dont want to step on any toes.

14. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Not to worry.  You apparently have the Texas Special ZZ Top Edition.   :cool:

[/quote]
    heh :)