Cleaning the polymer portion of the pistol

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CrackerKen, Nov 5, 2009.

1. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I've always used Hoppe's for cleaning my guns. Is it going to hurt anything if that gets on the polymer frame of the pistol? If yes, what's the best thing to use to clean that area of the gun. I know it's bound to get powder stains on it afte a while.

Another quick question - Maybe I'm out of touch when it comes to abbreviations - What does CLP mean? I see it used a lot.

Thanks,

Ken

2. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Don't know about Hoppes and polymer, but Breakfree CLP Cleans very well, Lubricates fairly well, and Preserves OK, and is fine on polymer.
    I have been using it on my Parkerized P-3AT for over five years. Mostly for cleaning and a bit for preserving, but I use mostly grease for lubrication.

[​IMG]

3. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks much. I have to find me some of the CLP, somewhere. Maybe the bigger gun stores around here have it. I hate shipping charges.

4. JB

JB Guest

+100

Walmart stocks a product called 'Winchester Break Free CLP'. From what I can find using Google-fu, Winchester has partnered with the makers of Break Free to market some products branded as Winchester. Is the formula the same as the original? I don't know. What I do know is that you should be able to pick some up at Wally World if you want to try it out. I did, but I'm still on my first can of the stuff so I can't really give much feedback one way or the other.

5. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Hoppe's won't hurt the nylon frame either.

Use an old toothbrush & solvent to clean the checkering, wipe it all off with a dry rag, dry toothbrush it again, wipe it off again, and you are good to go.

rc

6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Funny, I just posted this in another thread:

A nylon brush does work great on the crud that eventually gets caught in the checkering.

7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Keep spray brake cleaner away from the plastic parts. ;)

8. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

Ballistol seems to work very well on the frame and metal for me.  I would be careful about acronyms though if you don't Know the meaning  :-?

I asked a friend who served in the Korean War in artillery who's a little hard of hearing what "CLP" meant.   He looked at me with a puzzled look and said in a loud voice "Well son, I guess LCP stands for LAME CARRY PISTOL."

Nuf Said ;D

9. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I went by Wally World this afternoon and picked up a spray can of the Winchester labeled Break Free CLP for $4. I believe it's the same solution as Break Free CLP - if not, there's some serious copyright infringement going on here since it has the same name and logo, under the Winchester label.

BTW - While I was down at the Wally World, I scored a 100 rd box of WWB .40 S&W FMJ for $30 (for my Glock). Not bad. That was the only caliber of hangun ammo in the store. I frequently notice .40 ammo at that store, but nothing else. I guess they either get a lot of it in stock, or else it doesn't sell as fast as 9mm or .380. They had plenty of WWB (100 rd), and Winchester premium JHP at $20 for 20 rds.

Seems like almost everything on the shelf or rack at the Wal-Mart gun department was branded Winshester (cleaning kits, ear protection, etc).