Cleaning questions.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Dec 28, 2009.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ok, I shot 100 rds through the new pistol, see my other post.

Time to clean it; I am just going to throw it in the dishwasher, not sure which cycle to use ???

For those who are not part of the Glock culture (yet), it is a standing joke for the plastic guns that came in a tupperware box, especially after Glock fired the G-17 under water (just  don't try that at home).

Seriously, I clean the guns, my Glocks and her S&W revolvers, every 4-5 range sessions.
    I understand the P3AT should be cleaned more often ???

Anybody here tried Gunzilla the (supposedly) miracle gun cleaner, lube, barrel conditioner, etc.  And it is organic too.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I am no tofu eater  :D; I actually like the Hoppes smell; but I got a free sample of Guzilla, wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    as far as the product Guzilla...no experance

but it is so easy to break down and wipe off, why not every shooting?

3. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Good to read from your other post that the P-3AT did well at the range.

Never tried the Gunzilla.  Not sure if it would give you enough lubrication on the rails/slide/hammer interface.  If it is anything like CLP it will probably work.

May be from the old school.  If you shoot the gun, you clean it.  Just don't feel right putting any of my guns up dirty.  In fact, since I carry the P-3AT daily, the gun gets cleaned every two to three weeks even if not shot.

There is a guy in the Tech Works section that likes the GunZilla. Look in the "Dry Lube" post if I remember correctly.

4. redjacket

redjacket New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Hmmm.... I clean my guns every time I take them to the range, even if I only shoot one magazine. I take them apart, clean them, and carefully inspect for issues. I clean them every few months, even if they haven't been shot, just to clean the pocket lint and dust out of it.

I treat my carry weapons like my life depended on them.

No experience with Gunzilla, never heard of it. Might have to look it up online.

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Haven't used Gunzilla myself but have read elsewhere that it is a good CLP type product.

The former Marine in me has me cleaning all my guns after each use and my 3 carries (2 P3ATs and a Glock 26) every couple of weeks whether they need cleaning or not - least wise they're always properly lubed. BTW, from several sources, Kel-Tecs seem to like wet and Glocks dry. Some shooters, regardless of the gun, believe wet for extended shooting like at the range and dry for carry.

Take care...

6. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    OK guys,
    Let me ask you:
    Do you check your oil and tranny fluid every week ? You should.
    Do you check the pressure and inspect your tires every week, remove the shatp pebbles in the thread ? Your life rides on them.

About 45 years I was range officer in the military; for 6 months, I got to shoot all small arms up to and including "ma deuce" (M2 BMG .50) and the 3.5" rocket launcher.

Guns have long lost their magic for me; just another tool.
    Glocks have demonstrated they could shoot several thousands of rounds with NO maintenance ...
    Every time you take something apart, there is a risk of damaging, loosing or wearing some parts (OK, OK, not fair).

However, I understand the KT is not a Glock and the light weight and size means it is less tolerant.

Two things I use a special MO S2 molybdenun disufite grease 50% for, is the hammer/interface, the slide rails, and the barrel cam.

To be truthful, I have a 9mm I clean every time I shoot, and every few months if I don't shoot it; it is the 1916 Luger P-08 (number matching) my wife gave me for my 50th birthday. I take it out of the safe and play with it; it is such an intricate and delicate piece of machinery.
    Yeah, it has some magic, especially because the way it was given to me.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Do you check your oil and tranny fluid every week ?  yes (every fillup)
    Do you check the pressure and inspect your tires every week?  pressure every month, however the tires, along with a 360 walk around every time I get in (except for that one time, with a rental car, at that one plant that required "first move foward" with a right front cone, after I had put in a agrovating 36 hours.  when I arrived at the guard shack, they asked where my cone was.  I replied "I'm tired, I'm leaving, I don't know".  the guards reply was "back up a few feet and I'll get it from under your car this time, but don't to do it again"   :-[ )

;D ;D ;D

8. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Congratulations !!!
    You are a rare breed nowdays.
    Really, I mean it.

I am the same way in my job; before each take-off, I spend a good 10 minutes doing the pre-flight inspection, but that's part of the job.

A few years ago, when I still had my 1970 Corvette, yeah, I babied it; but my truck, just another tool.

>Drinks !!! <

9. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    well if your going to shoot a kel tec you better clean it every time its shot...other wise it may not shoot when your life depends on it...In my opion that goes for all firearms......but i,am old ;)

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I guess it also depends on what amount of effort that is expended during the cleaning. My cleaning process uses just one round, one paper towel, a paper qtip cut in halve with finger nail clipper, solvant and lube. the entire process is performed during the time I would other wise scan through an old "american rifleman" while in my private study. ::) (and i wash my hands before I put gun back in its holster ;) )

11. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

Everytime I put twenty-five or so rounds through a P3AT I clean it. I break it down, spray and wipe with Ballistol, and run a bore snake through the bore, and lube with break free CLP, and RIG on the rails. It takes less than five minutes and makes sure the pistol is fully functional.

Gunzilla sounds like an updated version of Ballistol which works great too. You ought to try the Gunzilla and see if it works for you.

Good Luck :)

12. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I figured my question fits in this thread. What is the max number of rounds I can put through this gun at the range before I have to clean it. I want to break in a new P3AT (150 rounds if I can) and put at least 50 rounds through my older one. I was wondering how many I can pop off before the gunk buildup becomes a problem.

13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    for a new gun, there will be some "fitting" of the moving parts that if you shoot extensively will turn to damage.
    that would be the head of the recoil rod where it pivots in the frame and the frame rail opposite the extractor.
    as long as the soot is a fine carbon, it would act as a lubricant, however there are other products of combustion that are hard and abrasize.  the hot gases also burn away any oil or grease, so shooting a dirty gun will allow it to wear in quicker, but could lead to excessize wear

If you put in 200 rounds on a new gun, you should expect to have to hammer the slide off due to the groove cut in the frame by the recoil rod head, the burr on the frame rail and the dry gritty deposits in the slide fit

14. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I have put 400 rounds through my P3AT and my PF-9 at one time but on different range days. I didn't relube either during the process either. The day I broke them both in I shot 200 rounds through them and no there was no damage that resulted. I popped out the assembly pin and slides slid right off. The only wear was the normal wear where the part fitted themselves together. I commonly put 100-200 rounds down range on every range trip. Neither of my KTs has ever had a failure as long as they were properly lubed to begin with.

On cleaning and when a gun should be cleaned, I believe a gun should be cleaned whenever it has been fired. I clean mine even when I only put one round down range. Burned powder leaves residue which mixes with oil to create a corrosive compound that can damage a gun over time. Powder residue also attracts moisture that can damage the the bore, the frame, and other internal parts.

15. redjacket

redjacket New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    If I were to start using my truck for primary self defense, I just might!   :p

I suppose it's personal preference as to the condition of the weapon you carry, and how you were raised.  I was raised with guns in the house since I was a baby, and I slept with my very own Remington .22 Apache rifle when I was age 8, and later my own .30 cal Carbine at age 12.  My father was very regimented (he was a green beret in WWII) and instilled in me the old saw... "if you take care of your weapon, it will take care of you".  

In all honesty, I never thought about how long a handgun can continue working in good order before it began fouling.  I've never had a gun foul on me due to buildup and grease... so, your statement about 4-5 times at the gun range between cleanings was kinda a foreign concept.

However, It got me to thinking about it, so... nothing wrong with that.   :)

16. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Could it be that the idea of having to clean a gun even after only one shot is fired comes from the time the primers (and the powders) were highly corrosive.
    Things have changed ... few of us still use black powder  ;D

Many years ago, I had a opportunity to buy a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag for a hundred bucks.
    The rifling could not be seen; it had not be cleaned for many years.
    For the price, I said "What the heck" and I bought it.
    After a few hours, the barrel was like new, and this revolver became one of my IHMSA competition gun.

Now, if I had to shoot S&B ammo, old WW2 surplus or similar, you better believe the gun would get an immediate scrubbing.

I remember a training week-end at OPS; we shot 400rds each day; when we got home, I felt I needed to clean the Glocks, but there was much more gunk than after a range session of 50 rds.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people who clean their guns often, quite the contrary; I just don't see a logical reason to do so, and, so far, it worked for me.

17. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    That is certainly your choice to make.

18. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I may have a couple dirty guns in the safe.   :-[

But I won't carry one or rely on one for SD.

Those are cleaned and lubed before loading. :cool: 

19. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I told you, cleaning your gun can be a bad idea:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1262388627
    I know, I have sometimes a wicked sense of humor, couldn't resist, you can smack me.

20. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Gun cleaning: Step 1- Make sure the gun is not loaded.