Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have been reading the threads on lubing this little guy, and to tell the truth, IMHO, they are pretty confusing. Kel Tec recommends the MMC lubricant that comes with the gun. I always thought that the Militec-1 was a good product. Some here, seem to like it and others don't and use other things. I am just tring to decide what to use. I think I will start with the Militec since I have the free samples of the oil and the grease.
My real guestion here is about gleaning the gun. I do believe that I have some Break Free CLP in a spray can at home. I believe it is a cleaner (??) also. Do you just spray the gun down all over real good and then blow it all out or just how do you use it. Sorry, this is probably a dumb guestion but I just am not sure.

Thanks for any help, Ron

G

·
a dumb question is a question that is never asked. If you have a good gun spray use it to clean. I use gun scrubber and also a can of regular (non cholorinaed) high pressure carbureator cleaner. I do lube the rails on the frame and the interface and lightly oil the side where the trigger bar is, just let it ouzze its way down the side of the frame to the trigger bar. To much of either is messy, just a little dab will do ya. Then please just shoot it like you stole it ;D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is the Break Free CLP a "good gun spray"? If it is, do I just spray it around the frame and slide and then use air to blow it out, and then lube?

Thanks, Ron

G

·
yes it is, all these gun cleaning sprays are good. We all have our favorites, some due to availability, some to price etc. like I said I can buy a good high pressure non cholornated automotive spray cleaner for about $1.69 a can, Can't get close to that with the gun spray cleaners and IMO they all work the same. I have used these auto cleaning sprays for years on all of my weapons. Just make sure it is non cholorinated of which about most all are any more. That type does no harm to plastics. To me it is all about the price and availability. Napa 6 blocks down the street and I have always about 6 cans on stock for my two harleys. After a good cleaning an lube I then just shoot it like I stole it ;D

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
The name CLP stands for Cleans, Lubes, Protects. It is highly regarded by the U.S. Military and has been since it was developed during the Vietnam war for the M16.

Probably not as good as a real good bore cleaner, a real good lubricant, and a real good rust protectant, but you only have to carry one bottle of CLP instead of three bottles of "one use" products.

rcmodel

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi rcmodel, so if I were to use the CLP, would I just spray the gun doown well, blow it out and be done with it?
I am trying to determine here, how, to use it.

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I haven't used CLP in a spray can, but assume there should be directions for use on the label.

If it is a lot thinner then GI CLP in the green GI bottle I use, you might need some thicker lube. GI CLP is about like cream and won't run off once it dries.

I use GunSlick Graphite grease on the slide rails, cam slot & pin, and inside the slide when the barrel rubs on it. Others use MiliTec grease with good results. Others don't use much of anything with good results.
I think a lot depends on the individual gun on how much lube it requires to run reliably.

Whatever you use, don't wipe it all off in the high friction areas. There has to be a film of lubricant for it to lubricate.

rcmodel

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ron, you keep saying blow it out with air and no one has commented on that. Make sure you don't use compressed air from a compressor. It contains water droplets and can rust the innards. The cans of compressed air for computers is OK though. Make sure of eye protection. The cleaner will fly everywhere. :eek:

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I use my shop air compressor to blow out guns all the time.
It's very hard to beat 110 pound air pressure for getting ALL the Dust Bunnies out!
Course, I also have an in-line water trap on it.

In all actuality, if the gun is blown out and then re-lubed properly, there shouldn't be any problems with mosture.

rcmodel

·
Registered
297 Posts
ront said:
Hi rcmodel, so if I were to use the CLP, would I just spray the gun doown well, blow it out and be done with it?
I am trying to determine here, how, to use it.

Thanks, Ron

Ron,
Are asking if you should disassemble the gun? Or are you looking to just spray cleaner into the open slide, etc? I don't know about anybody else, but always strip it down to this level:

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

I wouldn't think that you could effectively clean the gun without (except for maybe a quick spray down at the range).

Good Luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
ront,
I use hoppes #9 solvent to clean the barrel, but then sometimes I use clp also. The main thing is just to make sure you get as much of the residue out of the barrel as possible after you shoot.
The CLP spray is also a lube as well as cleaner and it is good to spray the recoil spring and guide rod with. In fact the spray, as far as I have found out, doesn't harm any parts of the gun. I do use a good gun oil, remington gun oil, and lightly, and I mean very lightly lube the rails. Think of it this way, the more oil you use in your gun, the more grit and garbage will collect in it. That is where CLP is good to clean with. But there are other good cleaners also. I am 53 and have been cleaning my guns since my first .22 cal in my early teens.
Bob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually brett30030, I found that page(http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm) earlier today, and was thinking about using the Militec-1 oil and grease and following the directions on that link. I was just trying to find out how to do a good job of cleaning the gun before lubricating it.
Bass Player, yes I was asking about blowing it out with the air compressor.
If you use the CLP, do you just spray it in and let it evaporate?

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.