Cleaning needs for your P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Ohio_Rusty, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Just finished cleaning the pistol after a flawless shooting session with a box of PMC bronze. In addition to the cleaning brush, rags and such, I also use pipe cleaners and toothpicks for getting into those little impossible nooks and crannies you can't reach with cleaning tools. I was surprised how much burned powder gunk that had caked up behind the extractor hook. Many of the areas inside the pistol almost a require a pipe cleaner to get in there and remove the dirt and fouling that accumulates in corners of pistol parts or inside the long springs.  I also put a bit of my Singer sewing machine grease on the slide as it's a light grease and has excellent lube qualities. The gun overall was cleaned and lubed using Slip 2000 CLP type oil. My pistol has now been 'ultra cleaned' using all the cleaning tools at my disposal, and that increases my confidence that the gun will work flawlessly if I need to use it.
    Ohio Rusty

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    A twisted paper towel, qtip, and toothpick works for me ;)

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    After doing a fluff and buff: Field strip and hose the whole thing down with gunscrubber letting it all drip onto cloths. The soak the whole thing in CLP and wipe off as much excess as I can. Then grease the rails and hammer slide. Re-assemble and carry. (And skip the gunscrubber step if its not coming back from shooting but just a "its been a while" cleaning.

Does anyone else see the irony in Ohio-Rusty asking about cleaning a gun? ;D ;D ;D

-Scott

4. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    In addition i've found that multi purpose applicators(make up section) work great.
    It's basically a Qtip that's pointed on one side and flat on the other.
    Pointed end for slide grooves, extractor...etc.
    Flat end for slide and frame.

I got them at CVS pharmacy for 2 bucks per 100

I told Ohio Rusty he shoulda got the parked ;D

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    for a pointy, a fingernail clipper at an angle works well on the paper body qtips

6. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    pipe cleaners, q tips, a rag, hoppes no9 and grease does 90 plus percent of all my gun cleaning

7. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I recently discovered the gunscrubber for synthetics. Man does that stuff work well, but it really dries the gun out too. Got to oil everything afterwards!

I was messing around on the conservation department website and they have all kinds of free classes. They're having one on proper firearm cleaning and maintenance that I'm taking on the 30th. I'll fill everyone in if I learn some cool new technique.

8. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Besides some of the things you guys already mentioned I also use a pack of eye lash brushes that I "borrowed" from an old gf of mine. If she'd stuck around longer I might have gotten a few more nifty brushes and things too.

9. danger831

danger831 New Member

Mar 6, 2007
  10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Why are you telling me this NOW???? I wish I would have thought of that before the salvage people threw out my Sonic. ugh.

-Scott

11. hgunslinger

hgunslinger New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Q-tips, Breakfree CLP, and outers gunslick grease has worked well for me.