Cleaning my P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CONNAUGHT, Mar 25, 2009.

1. CONNAUGHT

CONNAUGHT New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    I have read many different things from those who clean after every time they shoot, to others who do it with much less frequency.

So how often do they really need to be cleaned? I've only had mine a few weeks. What do you long time owners and frequent shooters really do?

2. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    I clean and lube after every shooting and about every two weeks if it's been carried much but not fired. May be overkill, but mine has been 100% for a long time with that routine.

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    This is NOT a brick weapon with lots of mass to overcome dirt, grime and neglect.  Everything needs to be perfect to operate.  +1 on cleaning and lubing after every shooting and every couple of weeks if carrying and not shooting.

-Scott

4. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif] to all that has been said.

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Every time I shoot it!

Bobo

6. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    after everytime it's been shot. or if it's been carried for a month without shooting.

7. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Exactly what I do. I also try to keep the pocket I'm carrying it in clean. I turn the pocket inside out and get all the lint and anything else out before putting the gun with holster in.

8. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Not only clean the weapon after every range session, or every few weeks if not shot, but tear it down each time and closely inspect critical parts like springs, mag catch, magazine follower and spring, etc to ensure no undue or dangerous wear, cracking, or anything which might cause a problem if/when it is needed (when the SHTF). Refer to the thread by Junior on his P3AT failing (mag catch broke) in a critical situation for the reason(s) for this.

Jim R