Cleaning Black Dog mags?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Zer0DazE, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Zer0DazE

Zer0DazE New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    So I found out the hard way that you shouldn't clean these plastic (I figured they were a poly or something) mags with brake cleaner. lol
    The damn thing more or less exploded. It etched my finger prints into the side, and the feed lips cracked off and the guts shot out.

I would send it back, but being in a commy state I had to mod a 10rd mag... so the warranty was void. Anywho, what are you guys cleaning these with? Simple Green maybe?

I guess they don't build em like mosins anymore :)

2. Zer0DazE

Zer0DazE New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Nice, and I save 2 bucks for having a FFL on file with them. I <3 that place... if only they had mags in stock. It looks like I won't be shooting this gun for a while :(

3. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    There is a specific warning about not using brake cleaner to clean the magazines in the SU-22/PLR-22 instruction manual. (It might even be in red).

The Magazines are made of polycarbonate, and will disolve when using brake-cleaner (as you found out). The SU-22 plastic parts are made of Nylon, and can handle it, though it may cause it to get brittle. Best bet is to keep the brake-cleaner away from all pastics....maybe use it on brakes  ;)

Simple green would probably work very well on the magazines. just make sure what you use is safe on polycarbonate. The polymer safe cleaners should all be safe on Polycarbonate and nylon.

You might be able to get your magazine body replaced by Black-dog machine. I know they have come across this issue before. (and they have 10 round mags)

4. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    The warning is printed in red on page 15 of the manual.

CLEANING SOLVENT WARNING:
    Never use automotive brake cleaner, or any
    solvent not designed for polymer firearms on
    the polymer parts of the firearm including, but
    not limited to, the buffer and magazine. Doing
    so will damage or destroy the parts and this
    abuse will not be covered by any warranty.

[​IMG]

RTFM = Read The Friendly Manual

5. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    For that matter, don't use cleaners like that on Lancer AR-15 translucent magazines. Don't let DEET get on them either, it has the same effect.

6. Zer0DazE

Zer0DazE New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    ^
    I guess I skipped that part of the manual.

Like I said before "I guess they don't build em like mosins anymore"

No biggie, lesson learned... the hard way unfortunately