Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I realize the blowback action by it's nature is dirty. Have long time users noted one brand or another in 9 or 40 that runs cleanest or cleaner then the others.

It would be interesting to hear from the reloaders on this point as well.

Thanks and have fun out there.......

·
Registered
760 Posts
PMC Bronze 9mm 115gr shoot pretty clean. And they make a line called E-Range in 115gr and 124gr. Clean and my Sub Glock 19 likes the 124's.

·
Grand Poobah
1,367 Posts
Welcome to KTOG!

Good, clean, cheap. Which two do you want? Self defense and law enforcement loads are usually clean and good. I have some Winchester Ranger Q4355 (FBI contract overrun) that is quite clean and accurate, but it's not usually cheap or commonly available. The Q4369 is probably the same load. http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/50-rds-40-cal-180-grain-bonded-hollow-point-winchester-q4369-ammo I have read that it was made from leftover components from the production of Q4355. Supposedly, both of these are equivalent to Winchester's PDX1 round which is usually around $1 each, except they have nickel plated cases, where the gov't stuff is brass. I have read that this is so because the case mouth sealant required by the gov't doesn't adhere to nickel.

I also have some of the Federal HST (XM40HC, also from a gov't contract overrun), obtained from the same place, but haven't fired any yet. I expect it to be clean as well. I have fired some of the Federal EFMJ 165 grain. It is clean and accurate. SGammo is out of this now, and I plan on saving it for my P-40, as a defense load. The closest thing Federal sells to civilians is the "Guard Dog" home defense load, but it is $1.25/round, and is only 135 grain.

Even though I paid about the same as range fodder for these, I still don't just go blasting with them since they will likely be expensive to replace. Unlike the Winchester, I don't think the Federal HST has a civilian equivalent. Even if they did, it would also probably be at least a buck a round.:eek:

Another commercial load worth trying is PMC eRange. I have shot it in 9 mm (124 grain) and paid about $12-13/50. It is clean and quite accurate, but I would still clean the gun after using it since the primer residue contains potash, which is a chemical base, and might contribute to corrosion in a humid environment. As far as the black, sooty mess is concerned, this load is pretty clean.

I keep thinking about starting to reload, and have been saving my brass, but don't think I will end up saving that much money. However, I do think I could load better ammo for about the same price I pay for commercial range fodder. Choosing the right powders and primers should allow me to make a good clean load.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
34 Posts
i bought 1000 rds bulk of augila 9mm luger, 124 grain fmj, shoots very accurate and clean, said to be a hotter round hitting 1200fps+ out of a carbine barrel, though i haven't confirmed this personally. silver/blue box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my opinion ,so you can't argue.
fiocchi, remington umc, monarch(academy).
work best for me in 2-lcp's,pf9,sr9c.
thats all i got for now.aj

·
Registered
165 Posts
Speer lawman is about as clean as I have seen and they are not watered down mouse phart loads. SJ 40

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have seen something like half a million rounds of 124gr Federal AE go downrange in the past two and a half years, it's very good ammo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recommend the RWS 9mm FMJ 124gr. Made in Switzerland, runs clean as a Swiss watch.

Its only drawback is it does attract a magnet, for ranges that care about such things.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I recommend the RWS 9mm FMJ 124gr. Made in Switzerland, runs clean as a Swiss watch.

Its only drawback is it does attract a magnet, for ranges that care about such things.
Now if you could only find it. I ordered 1000 rds back in May and still waiting. The vendor had no idea when it might restock. Where do you get yours?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts