cleaned pistol, no longer double action

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jvs04, Apr 15, 2011.

1. jvs04

jvs04 New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I cleaned my 3AT after shooting. It will only dry fire if I rack the slide. Thanks in advance.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

Did "Your" P3AT allow true double action when dry firing before you cleaned it ?

3. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
    mine never has been. always had to rack the slide after dry firing with snap caps.
    you are using snap caps right?
    never ever dry fire the p3 without them. :eek:

4. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hey JVS,
    Welcome to KTOG. There is lots of info on this site. These guys (and dolls) know a ton of stuff. The p3 is the lightest smallest little .380. In order to get something that "est" (small, thin, light, cool...) you have to pay some price. No one buys a Ferrari for fuel milage or cup holders. This fly weight gun needs a little tlc, and some care when shooting it. Read the owners manual. Don't dry fire this gun, you'll break it. It will dry fire once in double action, clean or dirty, buy you can harm the gun.
    Take care, be safe,
    Lop

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard!

Bill K.

6. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Where's the popcorn? :)

7. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Lighten up guys... some of the text I am reading sounds a bit harsh towards our guest of one post.

LOP has it right, and as Brewster suggests be sure and use snap caps when dry firing. And yes, the reset is necessary on dry fire.

B.

8. Welcome to the club. Sounds like your P3AT is just fine.

It is not the same DA as some other guns.

Some guns every time you pull the trigger the hammer will come back and it will dry fire.

On ALL P3AT's it does not work that way. The gun needs the action of firing a live round to re cock the hammer, or you need to manual pull the slide back each time. Also the advise about dry firing with snap caps is right on.

Feel free to ask any question, just please try the search feature first.

Myself and most others here are happy to help.

9. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    jvs04, welcome to KTOG. As others have said your P3AT is fine. The KT hammer block safety requires the hammer be recocked each time. You should use snap caps in order to dry fire. Dry firing is great for trigger control and smoothing out the trigger pull. During live fire the slide recocks the hammer for you.

How did your P3AT run at the range?