Chistmas Present

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CaptDave, Jan 12, 2011.

1. CaptDave

CaptDave New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    My dear Sweet Wife, bought me a P-3AT w/chrome slide for Christmas.

Right after we both got our concealed carry permits, we bought a pair of S&W 38 snubbies (S&W 638 and 642). We live in Florida (only a few miles from the Kel-Tec plant), for most of the year, our clothes consist of shorts and t-shirt. We quickly realized that the 38 snubbies were just to heavy and bulky to carry on a regular basis so the snubbies sat in the gun case almost all the time.

I WAS a long Ruger fan, but ever since Bill Ruger passed away :'(, Ruger has really gone down hill, I'd be hard pressed to buy any new firearm from them. Between my souring on Ruger and the fact that Kel-tec is made in my back yard (plus they beat out the Ruger LCP in the Gun Test review), I decided that wanted the P-3AT. Sooo, after months of whining, my dear Sweet Wife bought me the Kel-tec for Christmas (I got a firearm 4 out of the last 5 Christmases ;D). I have not fired it yet, I am going to a friends place in the country on Saturday to try it for the first time.

I'm a big fan of Kel-tec due to their innovation (like Bill Ruger USED to do), reasonable prices (for most items) and the fact that they are local to me. Even though I just got a Mossberg 930 SPX last week, I'm still looking forward to when the SKG shotgun is available. Also plan to buy a SUB-2000 in Beretta config soon and would LOVE a RFB if the price ever comes down.

Glad to be here,
    Capt Dave

2. CaptDave

CaptDave New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Whoops!!! KSG shotgun . . . .

3. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Welcome.
    Give it a good cleaning and go make some noise.
    Come back and let us know how it worked for you.

4. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Welcome to the Kel-Tec P3AT BB:) Like was said above clean your pistol before firing it, use brass cased ammo, and allow about 200 rounds for the P3AT to break in.  

Best Wishes:  :)

5. Toney_D

Toney_D Active Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on the new P3at!!!

6. Groesbeck

Groesbeck New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Central Florida
    Which review... I'd like to check it out.

7. apex1

apex1 New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    I'm curious what it is about Ruger that causes you to be critical of them. I like my Kel Tec a lot, but I also own Rugers and think they, too, are great guns. It would be interesting to hear what you believe makes new Rugers so undesirable.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    A lot of folks around here lost respect for Ruger when they cloned the P3AT and their PR guy was recorded at the Shot Show saying, among other things, "When Ruger engineers developed the LCP, they started with a clean sheet of paper."  There was not so much as a nod to Mr. Kelgren's design, and the LCP is not just similar to the P3AT.  It is very nearly a carbon copy.  Some of us don't care to have our intelligence insulted.   ::)

I also take exception to the accolades for Bill Ruger who many hold responsible for the magazine capacity restrictions of the so-called "assault Weapons Ban."  Some states still have those restrictions in place.  

Here are some Bill Ruger quotes from that time:

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."
    "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 ior 30 round magazines or my folking stock.
    "I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."

A lot of folks haven't bought a Ruger since then.   :-/

The rest of the story and the extent of his involvement in the ban is here:
    Bill Ruger's Dirty Little Secret

9. CaptDave

CaptDave New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    On my way home on Friday, I stopped at the Kel-tec factory and bought 3 grip extensions (http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/p3at-309-grip-extension/). On Saturday I took the new P-3AT out to a friends place to go shooting. I shot 4 magazines out of it and found that it was very difficult to hold on-to (I have vary large palms and short stubby fingers). I put the grip extension on one of the magazines and found the gun to be MUCH more controllable. I put the grip extensions on my other 2 magazines and finished out my morning with those. I put ~100 rounds of S&B FMJ through it with no FTF or FTEs. I shot 4 magazines full of Federal Hydro-shocks, the 3rd round in the 3rd magazine had a FTF. Overall I was very happy with the gun but I do plan to get an action job on it to make SURE it feeds the Hydro-shocks every time. I'd also like to lighten the trigger up a tad.

So far as my beef with Ruger is concerned, yes, I know Bill Ruger supported the "assault weapon ban" (which was really just a ban on scary looking black guns), but he was just being a good businessman. He knew that the ban was going to happen one, way or the other, so he worked (successfully) to keep HIS guns from being banned. I don't like what he did, but I understand it.

My heartburn with Ruger is that since Bill Rugers passing, the company is more into copying other designs and not coming up with new innovation that kept Ruger on the forefront. Since Bill Rugers passing, their prices have sky-rockets, the quality has decreased to the point where I just don't want another one. I bought a 10/22 for a friend as a Christmas present last year . . . it has the god-awfullest trigger on it of any riffle I've ever fired. The trigger pull is at LEAST 10 pounds, all gritty and with no notice of then it's going to fire, and since the trigger group is the "new superior" polymer, there isn't really any way to do a trigger job.

IMHO, Ruger is making inferior quality firearms, charging to much and is not being the innovator that they used to be. I'm down to only 6 Ruger firearms in my safe right now, down from 12. I don't see that number going up anytime soon.

Capt. Dave