Cheap alternative to slip on grips

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Gravity_Tester, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Gravity_Tester

Gravity_Tester New Member

May 29, 2007
    After reading several threads saying that the P3 benefits a good bit from a bit of bicycle tube or a houge slip on, I had a (rare) moment of inspiration. After handling several knives with cord wrapped handles, I decided to cord wrap the grip of my gun.

At first, I used whole paracord, but it was a bit bulkier than I wanted, so I stripped the outer casing off the inner cord. That gave me just the right thickness. Once I got everything wrapped, I wetted the cord to get it to shrink a bit-between the tightness of the original wrapping and the shrinkage caused by the water, the only way to get the wrappings to move is with a knife...

[​IMG]

I think the cost of the project was about 12 cents... :)

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    How the heck do you get nylon paracord to shrink when it is wet?

Paracord is impervious to everything, but especially water!

rcmodel

3. Gravity_Tester

May 29, 2007
    It tightens just a little bit when it's soaked. Not enough to be obvious, but enough that if you make a watch band or bracelet out of it and fitted it fairly snug, you'd notice that it is much tighter.

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    It tightens just a little bit when it's soaked. Not enough to be obvious, but enough that if you make a watch band or bracelet out of it and fitted it fairly snug, you'd notice that it is much tighter.
    [/quote]

Do you mean it stretches when it's wet and tightens as it dries? Like leather? I'd hate to think I have to keep it soaked all the time to keep it tight.

5. Gravity_Tester

May 29, 2007
    [/quote]

Do you mean it stretches when it's wet and tightens as it dries? Like leather? I'd hate to think I have to keep it soaked all the time to keep it tight.[/quote]

I wrapped it as tightly as I could, dry,and then soaked it. Before I soaked it, you could move the cord just a bit. Now that it's dry, it's nearly impossible to get it to slip with a finger..

6. JB

JB Guest

Hmmm...cheap, simple, effective and gives it that 'mummy' look just in time for Halloween! Glad you found a solution - hope it works well for you.

7. vashooter

vashooter New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Gravity, how did you secure the cord? It's a very clean look. I assume you tied it on the other side or somehow "melted" it together and tucked?

8. Gravity_Tester

May 29, 2007
    The first wrap, I held about an inch or so of slack along the backstrap-that was to secure the end by wrapping over the slack bit.

At the botton, I made a loop and ran the line through it, pulled it tight, and did the same again. I the rest of the slack off very close to the end wrap and melted it a bit.

It's a lot less complicated than it sounds..

9. BMUP

BMUP New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    I like the *mummy* look too but how does that work on the belt clip? Doesn't that slow your draw a bit or does it help to keep it firmly in a holster?

Thanx

Bmup

10. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Thanks--great tip.

I'll try a whip finish first just to be different.