Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading several threads saying that the P3 benefits a good bit from a bit of bicycle tube or a houge slip on, I had a (rare) moment of inspiration. After handling several knives with cord wrapped handles, I decided to cord wrap the grip of my gun.

At first, I used whole paracord, but it was a bit bulkier than I wanted, so I stripped the outer casing off the inner cord. That gave me just the right thickness. Once I got everything wrapped, I wetted the cord to get it to shrink a bit-between the tightness of the original wrapping and the shrinkage caused by the water, the only way to get the wrappings to move is with a knife...

I think the cost of the project was about 12 cents... :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rcmodel said:
How the heck do you get nylon paracord to shrink when it is wet?

Paracord is impervious to everything, but especially water!

rcmodel
It tightens just a little bit when it's soaked. Not enough to be obvious, but enough that if you make a watch band or bracelet out of it and fitted it fairly snug, you'd notice that it is much tighter.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Gravity_Tester said:
[quote author=rcmodel link=1225126417/0#1 date=1225139992]How the heck do you get nylon paracord to shrink when it is wet?

rcmodel
It tightens just a little bit when it's soaked. Not enough to be obvious, but enough that if you make a watch band or bracelet out of it and fitted it fairly snug, you'd notice that it is much tighter.
[/quote]

Do you mean it stretches when it's wet and tightens as it dries? Like leather? I'd hate to think I have to keep it soaked all the time to keep it tight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doubloon said:
[quote author=Gravity_Tester link=1225126417/0#2 date=1225145222][quote author=rcmodel link=1225126417/0#1 date=1225139992]How the heck do you get nylon paracord to shrink when it is wet?

rcmodel
[/quote]

Do you mean it stretches when it's wet and tightens as it dries? Like leather? I'd hate to think I have to keep it soaked all the time to keep it tight.[/quote]

I wrapped it as tightly as I could, dry,and then soaked it. Before I soaked it, you could move the cord just a bit. Now that it's dry, it's nearly impossible to get it to slip with a finger..

G

·
Hmmm...cheap, simple, effective and gives it that 'mummy' look just in time for Halloween! Glad you found a solution - hope it works well for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vashooter said:
Gravity, how did you secure the cord?  It's a very clean look.  I assume you tied it on the other side or somehow "melted" it together and tucked?  
The first wrap, I held about an inch or so of slack along the backstrap-that was to secure the end by wrapping over the slack bit.

At the botton, I made a loop and ran the line through it, pulled it tight, and did the same again. I the rest of the slack off very close to the end wrap and melted it a bit.

It's a lot less complicated than it sounds..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.