Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Most people have a problem at first. It gets a little easier with use, but a foam cover helps immensely. Tacticool sells a great one for $4.50 and free shipping. Get a bolt tube cover at the same time for $14.75.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The OEM handle on my Gen 1 was designed by a sadist. A secondary rubber charging handle cover took the edge off the worst of it, but was far from optimal. An unbranded replacement titanium handle, with a much improved design, solved the issue for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The charging handle problem has taken my SUCQB from something useful to problematic range toy status.
It won't cycle subsonic (WWB 147 grain) reliably, so a larger heavier charging handle would be counter productive..
I have to set the butt plate on the bench or ground, then making sure that I know where the muzzle is pointed, cycle the action with the web of my hand.
115 grain Blazer Brass cycles well, but with a bit of a sonic crack. I've gone the Mcarbo route on the inner workings and lubed everything well. I hope a couple hundred more rounds down the barrel will help it loosen it up to the point where it will cycle 147 grain subsonic.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The charging handle problem has taken my SUCQB from something useful to problematic range toy status.
It won't cycle subsonic (WWB 147 grain) reliably, so a larger heavier charging handle would be counter productive..
I have to set the butt plate on the bench or ground, then making sure that I know where the muzzle is pointed, cycle the action with the web of my hand.
115 grain Blazer Brass cycles well, but with a bit of a sonic crack. I've gone the Mcarbo route on the inner workings and lubed everything well. I hope a couple hundred more rounds down the barrel will help it loosen it up to the point where it will cycle 147 grain subsonic.
Texas', it won't cycle ALL 147gr ammo? Or just some or one load?

The reason I ask is that my sub2k pukes on aluminum cased ammo. But it'll digest all other ammo that I've put in it even my butterfly fart competition loads. Standard pressure 147s (all of them that I know of) are inherently subsonic and it's the recoil impulse that actually cycles the gun and "subsonic" has plenty of that. Of course if they are loads that launch a bullet at 300fps (still subsonic) that might not be enough energy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I tested my rifle using Winchester White Box 147 grain, and 147 grain Speer G2 duty loads. Neither would push the bolt back far enough to pick up the next round from from the magazine.
A selection of 115 grain and 124 grain ammunition worked without problems.
All 147 grain 9mm loads are subsonic.
Bullet velocity and bolt velocity are directly related. That's why a lot of competitive shooters use 147 grain bullets. They consider them 'soft' easy shooting loads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My first pull on that charging handle was interesting. I assumed it would be easy like a pump shotgun but it sure isn't. :ROFLMAO:

It does get better with time, but you might want to sling shot it with one hand pushing forward and one hand pulling it back. Once you get used to it, it isn't so bad.

It's a pretty cool carbine for what it is. I added a tacticool foam cover and that made it a little easier. I hear the MCarbo is great, too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's a little too stiff for that to work. You wind up waving the muzzle all over the range while trying to get that last 1/2" of bolt travel.
I suspect that KelTec used a stiffer spring because of the suppressor.
I've scrubbed the inside of the tube where the bolt and spring ride and lubed everything.
Hopefully it will loosen up with use.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I first got my sub2k, I would place the butt stock on my chest and use both hands to pull the bolt back. After a while it got easier to pull the bolt back. Some things to check, make sure your bullets don't exceed the chamber length, and when you reassemble the butt stock make sure the spring is in the pocket in the butt stock plug.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Unless the specs have changed or they started putting a stiffer recoil spring in the Sub 2K, I don't understand. I am 72 and it was relatively easy to charge the gun with the stock charging handle. Is it ideal, no. But I had no problem charging the gun or locking the bolt back on my subbie from day one.

I wonder what has changed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've been shooting factory ammunition, so cartridge length should be in spec.
The spring is installed properly.
I suspect that CQB has a stronger recoil spring.
CQB has only 5" of barrel where pressure/recoil impulse is generated. The Sub has 16" of barrel.

So, it seems KT designed it to keep 115g subsonic and sacrificed its 147g performance. Hopefully, you are happy shooting 115 and 124g grain freedom seeds.

Pretty safe bet the recoil spring is unchanged. They use the same spring for 9mm, .40 and even 357Sig - they're sorta invested in that specific recoil spring design.

If you are a dedicated 147g shooter (I am, so I get it); consider skeletonizing a bolt extension.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nope.
115gr 9mm do not come out of my CQB at sub sonic velocities,
I haven't found a specific parts numbers for CQB springs to do a comparison, so I don't know if the recoil spring is stiffer in this rifle.
If the paperwork wasn't such a nightmare, this turkey would have been on gunbroker several weeks ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tested my rifle using Winchester White Box 147 grain, and 147 grain Speer G2 duty loads. Neither would push the bolt back far enough to pick up the next round from from the magazine.
A selection of 115 grain and 124 grain ammunition worked without problems.
All 147 grain 9mm loads are subsonic.
Bullet velocity and bolt velocity are directly related. That's why a lot of competitive shooters use 147 grain bullets. They consider them 'soft' easy shooting loads.
I would not trust Win White box any farther than I could throw it in any caliber pistol or rifle IMO, the Speer .... that's a different story and I say this with 30 years of mil/leo experience. We have experienced everything from blown out primers, OAL too long / ftf, and ripped brass to squibb's and pounding a stuck bullet back out with a cleaning rod. I have several good to go guns both rifle and handgun that **** the bed on white box and eat everything else, some even Blazer alum. and Russian steel. Even if it does cycles it's been our experience that it's dirty ammo and that not good for suppressors.

You need to try at least 3-4 plus types of 147 if you are truly stuck on it. So, moving away from ammo you may very well have a have another internal issue. You are on the right track, call Kel and verify the spring (I think Tina is the gal I talk to for most general tech and parts order question?), also need to complete the break in. I personally don't stamp off of a blaster till I have 500 rnds. of the ammo I will carry / use thru it hiccup free.

Suppressed guns are finicky, you may have to send back under RMA and or just diddle with it. Took me and STI 6mo. back & forth to get my 10mm to run 100% with the fart can. Prolly not what you wanted to hear but that is the suppressed reality....

Cpt. Thomas

·
Registered
40 Posts
I understand ammunition. I like to shoot in local defensive matches. During the three years before COVID turned the world sideways, I shot 30k rounds of my homeloaded 9mm 115 grain through a CZ75 without a single malfunction. Admittedly WWB is the bottom of the barrel, and on my bench I have a round of Speer Lawman 9mm with two extractor grooves cut into the case. If I want 100% dependable ammunition I will load it myself.
I also understand that when you buy a firearm from KerlTec you are joining their R&D team. My CMR30 made so many trips back to the factory that i should have earned frequent flier miles. And, due to pore magazine design, it's still not completely reliable.
From the factory, my CQB has a dent or restriction in the suppressor tube that I have to drag the baffle's past with a bore brush. I can feel the recoil spring stacking when I'm pushing the bolt back the last 1/2".
I have never had good luck talking problems out with KELTEC. The answer has always been "send it in and we'll fix it". They've been very good at that part.
I plan to run another couple hundred rounds of 115 grain through this rifle to see if it loosens up. If the problem still persists, I'll suck it up, deal with the NFA paperwork, and find it a new home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts