Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would be nice to see Kel-Tec offer varying options. I've heard they would but have yet to see alternatives offered anywhere. I'm liking the folding charging handle below at about :59 secs in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It could get and feel hotter, but I'd expect it to actually cool faster once removed from the heat. That's why I'd want it non folding, since putting a metal one in the existing configuration would burn for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like the folding handle. It's similar to the one on my STG58 FAL. Much more comfortable when slung over your back.
That's a really good point. Although, if being poked is an issue, I suppose one could compromise and move the charging handle to the other side.

A slightly /longer/ handle could work, too. It would stick out past the gas block when folded, giving a cooler surface to grab onto, and providing a little more area for gloved hands.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This has been done before with the Tavor. The Tavor comes with a charging handle that stuck out, until aftermarket modders came out with a folding option, which is now all the rage. The logic behind replacing the "stick out" charging handle with the folder is that the stick out version could accidentally be knocked out of battery in close quarters.

The advantage of the stick out version is that it is easy to quickly grab. I don't see that as being necessary since the AR15 has one of the most difficult to grab charging handles out there.

I havn't shot my RDB enough to know, but the charging handle has never felt too hot to grab. But maybe further shooting might reveal that problem, in which case I would opt for the stick out version.

Has anyone else found that the folding charging handle of the RDB gets too hot?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not so much the charging handle but when I'm going for it without gloves on a portion of the fingers might hit hot areas of the gas system or things attached to it. The handle will be pretty hot but brushing the rail or block is really really hot. Now I use a glove when doing several mags worth of shooting. Which is mandatory at that point since the stock polymer hand guard surrounding the barrel also gets incredibly hot after a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quick question for those who know:

Is the charging handle supposed to lock back into it's spot on the last round so you can simply drop the spent mag, insert a new one, then push the charging handle down to charge it with a new round ready? Or do you have to manually bring back the charging handle and do that to charge it with a new round? (Even though the correctly adjusted gas has already pushed back the bolt)

I have the RDB-C if it matters. Thought I'd just ask here while we're talking about charging handles.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
in a last round bolt lock back condition you have 2 options:
1, release the bolt with the release tabs. This will release the bolt regardless if you have a magazine inserted or not.
2, release with the charge handle. This will release on a loaded magazine or no magazine, but not on an empty magazine.

If you want to release the bolt to an empty chamber, I suggest removing any magazine, then using the charge handle to ease the bolt to close gently.
If the the bolt release tabs are hard to push, that's an RDB thing. Send it to KT to slick it up.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I did see a modification where a guy nodded a TAVOR charge handle to work on RDB. Said it was easy. I dunno.
he is the Zhukov guy

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
A non-reciprocating handle weapon has its learning curve. When you get no bang you want to find the reason. The first thing you want to look at is the charge handle, but like an AR, you can't.
So train your eye to first look at the bolt carrier tube on the other side. its position will show you what's happening.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.