Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
The guys I feel for are the Law men who choose an RDB as thier car or entry gun. I would have to put at least 3K on it before I trust it. This platform really deserves an all alloy lower. I think it would be transformative. That and a longer ejection stroke. And gas dial set screw, guard or push pin lock.
I don't wat to crap on the RDB, its a fantastic concept, but the execution of it to keep it at an affordable price point has left much to be desired to the point of not being SHTF worthy.
The other guys I feel for are those who have an RDB because the features are compliant in whatever anti- gun state or country they reside in. For many, the RDB is the closest thing to a combat rifle they can own.

I don't say to not have an RDB, I just say to know it very well and know the potential failure points and its manual of arms. Ive seen soooo many times, guys come on here with thier new gun jamming, etc, who didn't read the gas adjusting per the instructions. C'mon yall, its in the manual!

And lastly, KT never states thier guns are SHTF reliable, do they?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The guys I feel for are the Law men who choose an RDB as thier car or entry gun. I would have to put at least 3K on it before I trust it. This platform really deserves an all alloy lower. I think it would be transformative. That and a longer ejection stroke. And gas dial set screw, guard or push pin lock.
I don't wat to crap on the RDB, its a fantastic concept, but the execution of it to keep it at an affordable price point has left much to be desired to the point of not being SHTF worthy.
The other guys I feel for are those who have an RDB because the features are compliant in whatever anti- gun state or country they reside in. For many, the RDB is the closest thing to a combat rifle they can own.

I don't say to not have an RDB, I just say to know it very well and know the potential failure points and its manual of arms. Ive seen soooo many times, guys come on here with thier new gun jamming, etc, who didn't read the gas adjusting per the instructions. C'mon yall, its in the manual!
View attachment 55704
And lastly, KT never states thier guns are SHTF reliable, do they?
And Yugo never claimed their cars could go up mountain roads either when fully loaded with four adults.

As far as KT goes, it sounds like better QC, and some better factory parts would be a good thing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
And Yugo never claimed their cars could go up mountain roads either when fully loaded with four adults.

As far as KT goes, it sounds like better QC, and some better factory parts would be a good thing.
And yet, Kel Tec manages to sell everything they make in spite of their "reputation".

·
Registered
91 Posts
This platform really deserves an all alloy lower. I think it would be transformative. That and a longer ejection stroke. And gas dial set screw, guard or push pin lock.
KT deserves praise for marketing a working bullpup that doesn't cost $1,800. A fairly finely tunable gas block is a neat touch, and the trigger isn't just good for a bullpup, it's a good trigger. The safety placement and degree of sweep is perfect. I put thread lock where it was needed and tuned the barrel nut. The fellow who bought mine got a rifle with some of the common bugs worked out. There are three traits that prompted me to stop using and eventually sell mine.

1. There is no port through which to witness and check the chamber. I'm OK with rounds ejecting downward, but something as important as checking the chamber needs to be easier. Ambidexterity is less important than safety.
2. The barrel and sight rail need a better relationship. The barrel can be accurate with the right pressure in the right direction, but the RDB is so susceptible to impact shifts that it makes a pencil barreled, iron sighted vietnam era AR look like a bench rifle.
3. The hammer design is ridiculous. Downward ejection isn't worth it.

I blame some of the RDB's eccentricities on KT's design philosophy that prioritizes having guns built by assemblers with screwdrivers. Friction welding has been a thing for decades. It costs more than a lady in a chair putting wood screws into the halves of the stock. If New Frontier can figure this out and sell $20 AR lowers, KT should be able to do it too.

Make a bullpup with a barrel that is held on by a barrel nut screwed onto a billet upper, not vaguely located by a couple of pushpins, have it pin to a friction welded lower that takes AR triggers, and you'd have something lighter and more expensive, but also more widely accepted.

I'm grateful for my time with the RDB. It let me answer the question "Would I be happy with a much shorter rifle in 5.56?". Turns out, I hate having muzzle blast a foot from my head.

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
All great points,Zuk.
my main gripes are the numerous things that break, or can break, or work loose.
This rifle is too loose, period.
The guy who comes to market a billet lower will have my dollar!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Finally got the RDB back out to the range yesterday to plink and function test. And once again, the charging handle jammed up to the point where I'd have to break the gun down to correct it. But I'm not. Instead it goes back to KT this week as is for them to address. We'll see what they find and how long it takes to come back.

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
When these handles jam at the rear,
take the butplate off to see if the guide rod is still in its cup. if you can put a punch pin through the screw hole and push the rod foot forward and back freely, the bolt isn't jammed on the rod.
I can't think of anything else that would jam the action.
My fix for this is to add an extra buffer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
When these handles jam at the rear,
take the butplate off to see if the guide rod is still in its cup. if you can put a punch pin through the screw hole and push the rod foot forward and back freely, the bolt isn't jammed on the rod.
I can't think of anything else that would jam the action.
My fix for this is to add an extra buffer.
Mine is jammed forward/closed. I found that if I jiggle it a bit and apply judicious amounts of force, I am able to get the charging handle and sleeve to line up and move backwards. Much to the detriment of the knuckle on my right index finger. I think the issue is the sleeve is dislodging from the handle enough to spin and jam everything up. It's off to Kel Tec to examine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Wish I could find one lol
I got mine through my LGS back in May. But I also signed up to be notified by a bunch of online gun shops like PSA, Primary Arm, Classic Firearms, Tombstone Tactical, Bud's, etc. I got notified several times by all of them that they had RDB's in stock last month. So look online if you can't find something locally.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got mine through my LGS back in May. But I also signed up to be notified by a bunch of online gun shops like PSA, Primary Arm, Classic Firearms, Tombstone Tactical, Bud's, etc. I got notified several times by all of them that they had RDB's in stock last month. So look online if you can't find something locally.
Nice

I have been looking online

I saw one at sportsman’s but a dude beat me to it

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
The charge handle collar separating has happened to others.
I recommend sending the handle to KT for a replacement.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts