Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a M Carbo aluminum trigger guard (which is very nice) on my new Gen 2 Sub 2000 and now I have some play between the barrel assembly and the receiver when it is locked open. I read some of the posts and it seemed like I need to tighten the barrel Locknut (part #103 on the parts list). I removed the front handguards to access the Locknut.

On my rifle (brand new) the Locknut is EXTREMELY hard to turn!!! I finally was able to turn it, but only with the use of a 12" pair of Channel-Lok pliers. It doesn't matter if the rifle is locked open or closed, it is hard to turn. I'm assuming that Kel-Tec has decided to use some sort of thread locker on the new rifles.... No way can you turn this thing without using a substantial wrench!

I finally turned the Locknut in a bit (and left teeth marks on the nut from the teeth on the pliers... Not happy about that...). Now the looseness if mostly gone, just an ever so tiny amount present that is hard to feel. With the rifle locked in the open position, when I push up on the barrel with moderate pressure, I can see about 0.002" of gap between the the square Locknut Washer (part #404) and the receiver at the bottom contact surface, which goes away when I remove the upward pressure. The trigger guard drops into the locked position just as the barrel assembly completely closes, and unlocks when the trigger guard is pushed all the way open.

So, have I done this correctly? I have lots of experience with firearms, but this is my first Sub 2000.

Thanks!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The comments that I've read all mention adjusting the Locknut "hand tight", but on this rifle there is no way you can do that. I believe that Kel-tec is now using thread locker on the locknuts. I don't see any other explanation as I don't see any real way that the lock nut could be cross-threaded, and it certainly looks like it is on straight and proper, but it won't turn without the use of a fairly big pair of pliers. Perhaps heat would help facilitate turning the locknut, but I'm reluctant to use heat around all of the plastic parts. I think that I have it adjusted correctly now, but would like opinions from those more knowledgeable that I have done it correctly....

Thanks!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
The comments that I've read all mention adjusting the Locknut "hand tight", but on this rifle there is no way you can do that. I believe that Kel-tec is now using thread locker on the locknuts. I don't see any other explanation as I don't see any real way that the lock nut could be cross-threaded, and it certainly looks like it is on straight and proper, but it won't turn without the use of a fairly big pair of pliers. Perhaps heat would help facilitate turning the locknut, but I'm reluctant to use heat around all of the plastic parts. I think that I have it adjusted correctly now, but would like opinions from those more knowledgeable that I have done it correctly....

Thanks!!!!!!
You should be fine. I made those comments based on the Gen 1 Sub 2000. They may well be using Loc-tite on the Gen 2 and I wouldn't know, as I don't have one. The reason we say hand tight is because it is easy to over tighten it and then you can't even get the trigger guard to release.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same issue on mine. Had to use the large channel locks. I went back and forth several times to get the tightness perfect. I now have zero slop. If I open the gun slowly with the bolt forward, the trigger guard will not fully lock. With the bolt back or opening the gun at any moderate speed, it locks fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input!!!! I appreciate the help...

I think the way I have it adjusted now, where the trigger guard just snaps closed as the barrel assembly finishes rotating into place, and with no felt looseness, is correct. I'll shoot it and see what happens.

Thanks again!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.