Changed Operating Handle on SU-22 -- Big Mistake

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by larryk, Sep 6, 2008.

1. larryk

larryk New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I own a PLR-16 and recently purchased a SU-22.  I like the optional operating handle (Kel-Tec calls it -  DYNAMIC DEFLECTING OPERATING HANDLE Standard)  on my PLR-16, so I put it on my SU-22.  Big mistake!  The 22LR cases were being deflected back into the chamber.  I quickly changed the handle back to the one that comes with the SU-22.

I wonder if the pistol trigger/grip on the PLR-16 would fit the SU-22.  This would make a long barrel PLR-22.

2. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Re: Changed Operating Handle on SU-22 -- Big Mista

Yes, the optional deflecting operating handle is designed for 5.56 brass and was already know not to work with the PLR-22 and SU-22.

You should be able (as far as I know) to swap the PLR-16 pistol grip for the SU-16 stock and make a long barreled PLR-22 but you can't attach the SU-22 stock to the PLR-16 without running afoul of federal NFA law nonsense . . . don't get me started.  

3. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Re: Changed Operating Handle on SU-22 -- Big Mista

Actually, adding the PLR pistol grip to the SU-22 would be illegal, because the overall length would be less than 26 inches which would turn it into a Short barrel rifle (illegal if it's not registered with the ATF).  If you first add a long barrel extension (like a long flash-hider) to make up the length, you would probably be fine, but it might need to be permanently attached.

as for the case deflecting op handle. There is a note in the description of the case deflecting handle.
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart/ind...21&zenid=a56b8ef6c851c94935a9bc4c7434ceae