Change Color Of Frame

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by lonehand1, Apr 20, 2011.

1. lonehand1

lonehand1 New Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Have a OD Green Frame on my 3AT , Has anyone changed the color of a frame . If so how ?

2. telekinetic

telekinetic New Member

May 24, 2009
    I changed the color of my OD Green PF9 to dark brown by using powdered RIT dye. Remove the frame, make the RIT dye at double or triple the suggested concentration. It's important that the dye be very hot so the pores on the Nylon open. You can use black if you want, do some research on RIT dye black formulas, some people suggest cutting it with another color (I don't remember which) to avoid it looking purple. I soaked it for about 30 minutes in the hot dye.

[​IMG]

You can tell the color relative to the magazine base plate.

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Well-Known Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Guys, that's not called the frame, it's the grip.

The frame is the aluminum part with the serial number on it.
    And yes, it does make a difference, to KelTec and the BATF.

4. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    You can buy a new grip from keltec, paint it to your heart's content, or even print it. Look for some recent threads in here for that. "pics of the girls", while not obvious, is the thread title you're looking for.

5. telekinetic

telekinetic New Member

May 24, 2009
    Re: Change Color Of Grip

I knew what he meant so I didn't even realize he'd said it wrong.  What I meant was you have to remove the frame from the grip before you dye it.

6. rebootit

rebootit Active Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Duracoat seems to be a very tough coating on these grips. Wide range of colors or find something you like in an automotive paint supply and use that. Any 2 part type paint should hold up just fine. Sherwin Williams makes an automotive paint that we use on signs painting aluminium all the time. It is rock hard and extremely scratch resistant after a few days and if it will stick to aluminium it will stick to just about anything. Main thing is to make sure it is oil free. New grips from KT are $29.00 and at least with new you don't have to worry about oil. You also don't have to be without your baby while waiting for the paint to dry ;D

7. nmusti63

nmusti63 Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks for the tip rebootit, I'm going to have to see what I can come up with for a pink grip for the wife, she will be, well, tickled pink! ;D

8. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Golden Loki(.com) sells the grips already Duracoated the last time I checked. He's a pro so you wouldn't have to worry about any DIY mistakes. He's also a KTOG member.

I just looked and he dosen't have any grips for sale but he will spray yours for $25 + shipping. Send him an e-mail or PM he's very helpful.

CJ

9. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    +1 :cool:

10. frankmako

frankmako Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    plus one on golden loki work. also you could buy a grip from kel tec and paint it yourself.

11. rebootit

rebootit Active Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    If he will do it for $25.00 plus shipping then you can't go wrong. Duracoat will run you almost $25.00 by the time you pay shipping. You have to be setup with an airbrush to use it. Extra cost if you don't have one. The little Preval sprayers that duracoat sells or you get at the hardware store will work but it is hard to get a good even coating with those and easy to make runs.

12. nmusti63

nmusti63 Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks CJ! When the time comes to get a grip Duracoated I'll defintely go with Golden Loki (nice site, BTW) By the time I invest in the duracoat and spend the time mucking up a DYI project, I'm better off giving it to an expert, especially at that price.

13. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Golden Loki spent so much time with me on my different color concerns that I'd be surprised if he made any money on my make over. Class guy, who wants his customers to be happy over everything else.

14. Holiday009

Holiday009 Guest

Golden loki does do excellent work. And has many colors to choose from.