Chambering Problems

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by NABarbeito, Jun 23, 2009.

1. NABarbeito

NABarbeito New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times before..... but, my new kel-tec p3-at has trouble when I chamber a round (winchester flat top) it gets stuck on the ramp and I have to really push to get it in.

Is this problem solved by polishing the feed ramp or by not using flat ammo?

Thanks,

Nicolas

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Both, particularly on loading the first round. Pull the slide back and let her rip. Slingshot that sucker.  Is it doing this on subsequent rounds while firing?.  Those flat-nosed rounds can be more problematic feeders, especially in a gun that is not broken in.  It will likely improve but you may have more luck with some round nosed ammo for a while.

Polsihing the feed ramp with some 400 - 800 grit never hurts.  And while you are at it, make sure the gun is properly lubed.
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Well-Known Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    LOL...polish the feed ramp and don't use flat nose. :D

It's kind of normal to have to smack the slide chambering the first round while breaking in Kel Tecs, polishing the feed ramp helps. Flat nosed ammo makes it worse. After a few hundred rounds it shouldn't do that any more.

4. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I had similar problems when mine was new. Did the F&B, and put about 200rds down her, now she's much better.
    Last time out I ran some Winchester FMJ flat nose reloads I made up, no problems with any of them.
    Good luck.

5. chiefjason

chiefjason Guest

Jun 9, 2009
    Highly recommend the fluff and buff! Mine still hangs on the first one. But I have never had a FTF while shooting it. My f&b worked so well the gun went from impossible for my wife to rack the slide to now she can. Really made a difference.