Chainsawing!?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by huckle, Aug 8, 2010.

1. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I just like to chainsaw! How about that?! :D

A chilly day in November, coffee, donuts and a sharp chain - woooweee - hard to beat that!

2. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Chainsawing, like this  :eek:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyiTLIokW54&NR=1[/ame]

;D

3. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
  4. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hey Huckle, have I got a deal for you.... ;D
    Yeah, I like cutting wood, splitting wood, backing up to a woodstove on a cold day (by GA standards, come on, that's all I have any more). I heat with wood and a few electric radiators in bathrooms and such. My shoulder/elbow has been on the fritz lately and I'm a bit behind on my cutting. There are about 50 trees along my driveway and the neighbors yard I'm pulling down. 'Bout half way there. I've got power lines down the drive and his stuff both within tree fall distance and it has been a bit of a puzzle. The first fifteen trees or so were tricky just figuring out what fell when and where. I've determined that the average stick of firewood gets picked up 9 times, a cord weighs 4000 lbs, and I burn 4-5 cord a year.
    To those of you that might want to brag on just how cold your winters are, go for it. I was born and raised in upstate NY (Syracuse & Vestal). My folks lived up there all thier lives. My Dad was working for IBM and requested a transfer (didn't get along with his boss). They said sure (IBM stands for I've been moved), we can use you in Rochester MN or Atlanta GA. My Dad's no idiot. We moved south in the late 70's. I do miss the XCountry skiing though.
    Lets see, things I've learned about chainsaws...
    The only way to get an acceptable cut from a chiansaw is when it is off, usually when the file slips and you punch your thumb into the tooth.
    Like firearms and tablesaws, ZERO alchol, not when tired, dont' over do it.
    Firewood heats you twice, once when you make it, then again when you burn it.
    Pine is good to burn.
    Chimbly fires are bad, keep your flue cleaned.
    Makeing firewood is a exersize in material handling, the first rule of material hadling is Don't, unless you have to. If I cut a tree that is near my portch, I'll split it by hand there, and stack it there, instead of draging it up to my splitter and regular wood pile.
    The best wood to have on your pile is all kinds, big, small, some greener, most seasoned. Some pine. you go thru the most kindling in the spring and fall.

If any of you want to cut some, Gimme a holler, I'll set you up. Heck, I'll burn you a steak and we can do some plinking also.

5. I got about 7 acres of south Texas mesquite that I just can't seem to get to. Well, that's cause other trees just keep falling over int he yard and those come first. Just finished hacking up a 30 foot Hackberry that fell over a few months ago. Still got all the trees doenwn the road. Down to ONE chainsaw from three. Too hot right now anyway.

If ya want mesquite, come get it. Makes great BBQ, but I just can't use all of it. ;D

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Chainsawing stinks! The only thing worse than cutting big limbs or a tree with a chainsaw is cutting them without one. :-?

7. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hey, who let this guy in? :D

8. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Hey, who let this guy in?  :D[/quote]

Pops in and drops a bomb just to stir things up...dang trolls. :D

9. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I think somebody needs to be introduced to a good saw.
    Good equipment makes for happy work. :)

What kind of saw are you using?

10. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    GA's a bit of a drive from KS - even if it is to join in fellowship and partake in the breaking of wood :)

11. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    That is very sad. I'm sorry to hear that. Unless.... what kind of saw is it!?

12. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    GA's a bit of a drive from KS - even if it is to join in fellowship and partake in the breaking of wood :)
    [/quote]

It's a documented fact that there is no wood in Kansas. I've been there and can vouch for this. :D

13. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Oh buddy... You see my icon? Its a hedgeapple. You know where that sucker came from? From KANSAS! :) Man, my whole dang web site is devoted to chainsaw stories - mostly from Kansas. Actually there's one there from GA.

14. Deuce3

Deuce3 Member

May 6, 2008
    Another GA chainsawer and wood heater here, although the heating season is pretty short here in SE GA. I have a fireplace with an old Buck insert in our "great room" and we burn up a couple of cords a year, generally a mix of oak, maple, cherry, pecan, chinaberry (burns hot but fast), maybe a little pine, dogwood, and whatever happens to be available. Use fat lighter (pitch pine, fat wood, etc.) or pine cones for starter. I use a Stihl 290 18-inch saw that I've had for the last dozen years or so. I enjoy cutting and splitting wood, just like I enjoy growing my own food or killing my own meat. It is hard work, but satisfying. Don't want to do it in the warm weather though.

I used to live in northern VA and did landscape work from March through December. We'd get laid off from about mid-December to early March and a buddy and I would cut and hand split firewood, sell it for $125 a cord for some cash. We didn't make much an hour but we had a good time.
    Deuce

15. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Oh buddy... You see my icon? Its a hedgeapple. You know where that sucker came from? From KANSAS! :) Man, my whole dang web site is devoted to chainsaw stories - mostly from Kansas. Actually there's one there from GA. [/quote]
    He's just pulling your chain ;D
    BTW NE Ks here what part of the state you in huckle ?

16. Bear76

Bear76 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Kansas
    Lies, all lies. Up until now I believed everything you said. You just lost all credibility in my eyes  ;D

Then again until I moved here I was always like "ugh, Kansas is so flat!" Now I get mad when people say Kansas is flat, I just need to remind them that they've never been to MY neck of the woods! I may not be a Kansan by birth, but I'm a Kansan by choice!

Hedge apples are the best :) I put them all over my house to keep spiders away.

All you chain-sawyers, is there certain types of wood that works better than others?

17. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Oh buddy... You see my icon? Its a hedgeapple. You know where that sucker came from? From KANSAS! :) Man, my whole dang web site is devoted to chainsaw stories - mostly from Kansas. Actually there's one there from GA. [/quote]
    He's just pulling your chain  ;D
    BTW NE Ks here what part of the state you in huckle  ?[/quote]

Over by K-State.

18. Deuce3

Deuce3 Member

May 6, 2008
    For firewood, it's hard to beat oak; white oak is the best.  Kind of depends on what region you're in as to what folks say is the best firewood.  

19. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I was suprised something beat out hedge(Osage Orange )  ;D

White and red oak are just average for choices around here ;hedge , hickory ,locust are more used/favored. It may be the best hardwood you have in good supply but we stack it with hedge to make it burn better. Course if you don't have it to burn don't do much good either  ;)
    Here are some weight/btu comparisons;

Common Name Species Name Pounds
    /Cord Mbtu's
    /Cord
    Oak, Live (Southern) Quercus virginiana 4,840 36.6
    Osage Orange (Hedge) Maclura pomifera 4,728 32.9
    Madrone, Pacific Arbutus menziesii 4,086 30.9
    Dogwood Cornus 4,025 30.4
    Oak, Oregon (Garry) Quercus garryana 3,710 28.0
    Hickory, Shagbark Carya ovata 4,327 27.7
    Oak, Tanbark (Tanoak) Lithocarpus densiflorus 3,650 27.5
    Hop Hornbeam (Ironwood) Ostrya virginiana 4,267 27.3
    Beech, Blue (Ironwood) Carpinus caroliniana 3,890 26.8
    Birch, Black Betula lenta 3,890 26.8
    Locust, Black Robinia pseudoacacia 3,890 26.8
    Hickory, Bitternut  Carya cordiformis 3,832 26.7
    Locust, Honey Gleditsia triacanthos 3,832 26.7
    Apple Malus domestica 4,100 26.5
    Myrtle, Oregon (Pepperwood) Umbellularia californica 3,450 26.1
    Mulberry Morus rubra 3,712 25.8
    Oak, White Quercus alba 4,012 25.7
    Beech, European Fagus sylvatica 3,757 24
    Maple, Sugar Acer saccharum 3,757 24
    Oak, Red Quercus rubra  3,757 24
    http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

20. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Nothing is as fun as hedge, though! Snap. Crackle. Pop.