Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a .22LR conversion for my PF-9. The only finish options Twisted Industries offers is Cerakote. I have experience with the durability of Duracoat. How does Cerakote compare?

If I don't like the Cerakote finish I can always send it off to be refinished I guess.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I just picked up the P-32 that I won from rebootit's giveaway. It has a Cerakote finish and it's beautiful. I don't think you would be disappointed with Cerakote.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
CeraKote seems to be a much more hardy finish. Everything I've seen Duracoated has ended up with finish wear, especially where moving parts rub, like the slide and frame. CeraKote doesn't seem to have issues like that. The only benefit that I can think of for Duracoat is there are a lot more colors to get creative with, and they offer a bunch of templates and color scheme kits.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Alot of it relys on the prep work. If you are having a pro do it...I would go cerakote.
In my experiences, it is a more robust finish!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I own firearms and firearms parts with both finishes. I like the thinness of CeraKote, but the durability of Duracote for high wear items. My bolts for my bolt-actions are CeraKote. They keep their precision fit, but will wear more quickly. I have pistol slides that are Duracoat, and they show zero wear to this day, but the application of coating was able to be thicker. For ultimate metal protection on really expensive guns, I go with Birdsong Black-T. The multi-step process impregnates the metal and then the color is applied. Even if the color wears, the metal is protected. For your application, either Dura or Cera will fit the bill just fine. If it were mine, I'd probably go with Dura, but that's just my opinion. Surface preparation and baking make a huge difference in people's experiences with any coating. A lot of unhappy owners are probably so because the painter didn't prep the parts properly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
been running a test on my carry pistol
(a Springer lt wt Champion)

Both frame and slide prepped the same
Slide is Cerakote, frame is Duracoat

Pistol is carried daily in a Milt Sparks IWB holder.
Minimal presentation drills (about 10 a day)
So it is in an out of the holster daily too

after several months so far, it's obvious the Ceracoat is more durable

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Capp said:
been running a test on my carry pistol
(a Springer lt wt Champion)

Both frame and slide prepped the same
Slide is Cerakote, frame is Duracoat

Pistol is carried daily in a Milt Sparks IWB holder.
Minimal presentation drills (about 10 a day)
So it is in an out of the holster daily too

after several months so far, it's obvious the Ceracoat is more durable

..L.T.A.
I thought it might be. GoldenLoki did a digital Duracoat job on my PF-9 in 2009. It looked great. The finish on the polymer grip held up well. However I'm rough on things. The finish on the slide didn't stand a chance but it did stand up better than I thought it would.

That is why I'm asking about the Ceracoat. I fear it too will not stand up well to me. This is why I really like hard chrome, nickle, and stainless so much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is why I'm asking about the Ceracoat. I fear it too will not stand up well to me. This is why I really like hard chrome, nickle, and stainless so much.

I'm rough on my carry guns too, Bill.

If you haven't looked into it already, one of the best finishes are the blackened nitrite metal treatments .
Glock calls it Tenifer , S&W calls it Melonite, Sig's is Nitrilon (?)
as i understand it, they're all trade names for the same metal treatment

If you've ever carried one of those pistols, you already know how well it holds up

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Capp said:
I'm rough on my carry guns too, Bill.

If you haven't looked into it already, one of the best finishes are the blackened nitrite metal treatments .
Glock calls it Tenifer , S&W calls it Melonite, Sig's is Nitrilon (?)
as i understand it, they're all trade names for the same metal treatment

If you've ever carried one of those pistols, you already know how well it holds up

..L.T.A.
My XDm has the same finish. It holds up well. However, I don't believe it can be used on aluminum. The Twisted Industries 22lr conversion is aluminum. That limits finishes to paint, anodizing, nickle, hard chrome plated to a nickle plating, or no finish at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts