Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the process of getting one where you live? In Philadelphia once you go down, they have 45 business days to get back to you. Thats 2 and a half months, pretty ridiculous when the rest of PA is like a week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
it pretty much the same in Michigan. i wanna say its 60 days they have to get back with you and then on top of that you have to go infront of a gun board, they treat you like a criminal

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had mine in a week, more or less. did the class on a lovely saturday morning, turned in my paperwork at the courthouse on monday, had it next monday

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
The turn-around time here for CCL's used to be REALLY fast - like one week - but when I sent mine in last October, I didn't get it until around mid-December. Current turn-around time I hear is around two months on average. Friggin' ridiculous. I hear part of it is because Arizona changed the CCL requirements to allow non-residents to apply for permits, so they've been supposedly flooded by applications. Being that our state's population literally goes up by 30% or so during the cooler months because of all the out-of-state snowbirds (mostly old folks from the Northeast, plus Canadians), I'm betting a pretty large number of those applications are from those folks.

The other thing is there's rumors that there's a bit of backdoor gun control going on with this and with background checks for gun purchases. Been hearing a LOT lately about guys who normally sail right on through background checks for gun purchases suddenly getting their purchases put on delay without explanation and with no apparent legit reason. More than once, I've heard of guys with current and valid CCL's going to buy a gun and either getting turned away or told they have to come back after X number of days because they got a "delay" response. I'm betting the same problem with gun purchases could possibly be going on with the background checks for CCW permits because, as I understand it, both background checks are run through agencies of the Federal government's executive branch ... which is currently run by some folks who've made it no secret that they're not the most gun-friendly folks in Washington D.C. I guess they may figure if they can't ban firearms and/or the carrying of them concealed in public, then they'll make it as inconvenient (and expensive!) as they possibly can...?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Four years ago, my Colorado (in state) permit took almost three months. No hassling the applicants, just a long wait. My (out of state) Utah permit took about a month, or maybe it was 6 weeks, IIRC. When I renew, I start that process 6 months before expiration.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Here in Florida, when I first got my CWP it took about 5 weeks to get it from the state. When I renewed, it only took 2 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
They tell us in Louisiana to expect 6 - 8 weeks. I had mine in 6, including having to wait 2 weeks to get home from a rig and a 200 mile drive to let the OFFICE take my fingerprints for a 3rd time. Once they take them THEY are required to accept them, regardless of how bad they may be. So mine would have been done in 3 - 4 weeks (counting USPS time) without a hiccup.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here in NH it was pretty simple. Had to visit the local police chief and introduce myself. Filled out a short form and had my license in less than a week.

Cheers,
Mutha Bob

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what would our forefathers have thought about the process. they would probably say its unamerican

·
Registered
660 Posts
VA is 45 days and it took me exactly 45 days to get it. Your county judge signs them off once a month, but they sit on them until the 45 is up.

My FL permit took much longer. I want to say it was approximately 90 days, but that was back in 2008 when there was a huge influx of applications and they were overwhelmed.

My LEOSA status took, well, the length of the academy. That's the best CC permit in da country. :D

That reminds me, I need to convert the FL permit to non-resident soon.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
This is the process for Louisiana according to the Louisiana State Police website. It says processing time is approximately 120 days, but if an applicant is fingerprinted and submits the documentation in person at LSP headquarters in Baton Rouge that individual can expect to get their card within a month or so. I got mine just under three weeks.

How To Apply

Application Process:
The average processing time is 120 business days for new and renewal concealed handgun permit applications.

In an effort to allow the most efficient processing of your application, we suggest that you review the following tips for both new and renewal applications:
a.
Review your application for completeness. An incomplete application may result in the delay or denial of your application.

b.
Make sure all questions are answered correctly, specifically the questions with regard to arrests, medical conditions, and 18 USC 922 g. (See selected statutes in the Law and Rule Booklet.)
i.
Read the arrest question carefully, as you must list all arrests, summons, and citations (except speeding citations) even if listed on a previous application. You must provide a certified true copy of all arrest dispositions with your application.

ii.
If you listed a medical condition you must have the treating physician complete the medical summary form before submitting your application.

iii.
If you are currently subject to a protective or restraining order you must provide a certified true copy with your application.

For renewals, complete your application and send it in as soon as possible to avoid any lapse in permit privileges.

Original/First-Time Applicants:

In order to apply for a concealed handgun permit, a citizen should follow the steps below:
Download a Concealed Handgun Permit Application and complete the instructions found on pages one and two of the application. You may also obtain an application at the State Police Headquarters (7919 Independence Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70806) between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.

Provide all necessary documentation pertaining to training, arrest dispositions, medical summary dispositions, and divorcee decrees (if applicable).

Contact your local police office, local sheriff's department, or State Police Headquarters for fingerprinting. Bring your photograph with you so the person fingerprinting you can sign and date the back of it. Prints must be submitted on an FBI Applicant Fingerprint Card. The card should be completed as outlined in the application instructions. Example

All completed applications must be submitted to:
Louisiana State Police
Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
PO Box 66375

Fees

Notice! Beginning August 15, 2010, the Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Permit Section will cease issuing 2 and 4 year permits. All permits thereafter will be valid for five years. The following fee schedule will apply:

Ages 21 - 64
$125

65 Years of Age or Older
$62.50

NOTE: If you have not continuously resided within the State of Louisiana for the 15 years immediately preceding the date on which your application is received, an additional $50 non-refundable fee shall be submitted. This is only for first-time applicants and is not required for any subsequent renewals.

Renewals:
Ages 21 - 64
$125

65 Years of Age or Older
$62.50

NOTE: For renewal applications the additional $50 non-refundable fee and the submission of a fingerprint card is not applicable.

NOTE: ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE, and must be paid by money order, cashier's check, or certified check.

Training

In addition to meeting the qualifications in R.S. 40:1379.3(C), an applicant must demonstrate competence with a handgun by completion of an approved firearms safety or training course taught by an NRA or P.O.S.T. certified instructor that is registered with State Police, or completion of small arms training while serving in the military (as evidenced by a DD-214), [active service members, reservist and national guard members must include a clear photocopy of their military ID (front & back) with a copy of their last qualification record from their 201 file], or possession of a current valid license to carry a concealed weapon issued by a parish law enforcement officer.

Renewals:

Pursuant to LAC 55:I:1307.D, each permittee applying for a renewal of his permit shall complete additional educational training within one year prior to submitting a renewal application. To obtain renewal training, please contact one of the LSP registered instructors.

Prohibited Locations

R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

A law enforcement office, station, or building;

A detention facility, prison, or jail;

A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;

A polling place;

A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;

The state capitol building;

Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;

Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;

A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;

Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Took about 6 months and somewhere around $100 for me in NY about 21 years ago. Some counties are easier than others though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank goodness I live in FL where it is relatively simple to get you CWP. I took a 3 hour class that was completely worthless and taught me nothing. I then fired one round from 7 yards and as long as you hit the paper you were good to go. It cost me about 225 bucks and the wait was 4 weeks (this all took place 3 years ago)
The sad part is after all that I learned nothing new or useful (unless you consider the application of different styles of gun locks(AKA personal suicide devices) useful. I certainly do not since I have never used one and other than the class prob never will again). The only positive I can see from this asinine process is that there are a decent number of people that a kept off the unemployment rolls by shuffling paper work around.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Florida Info:
When I got my 1st FL CCW permit in the 80s, I didn't even have to take the 'Hunters Safety' class (That's what it was called) because I was former military and only had to supply a copy of my old DD214. I believe you can still bypass the Hunters Safety Course if you provide your DD214.

[Deleted Editorialized info]

Texas Info:
A pretty good portion of the TX CHL class is designated to Legalities and 'Shoot-No Shoot' scenarios.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
This thread will remain more informative if we can just stick to the facts about the procedures for each state. Something like KelTecCajun and P250UA5 posted above, whether it has every detail or is just a simple statement.

Opinions will vary by the individual experiences and may well cause some misconceptions. Just as opinions on right or wrong for a given state's standards or procedures will do nothing to change those standards or procedures for the members in here seeking that information.

There was an issue with my fingerprints. It was cleared up by going to the main office and them taking - and at that point being required to accept - my admittedly screwy fingerprints. No right or wrong. Just a fact.

Just the facts folks. Please. :)

And it might help if we began our posts with our state in CAPS at the beginning of the post. That way people who are looking for individual states can just skim over the posts until they find the one they are looking for.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts