Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new P3-AT and have yet to make it to the range. I have field stripped it, oiled, and cleaned the gun. My question - is this. I got a call last night that the CCW class is going to be on Saturday (tomorrow). Would it be wise to wait until next month until I have had some time on the range with it? Or should I go ahead and go for the class not having shot the gun before? This is in KY and I believe I need to hit the target 11 out of 20 times.

Thanks for any help. As a side note - I have shot plenty of other pistols in the past.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
several things to think about and consider

Will the gun work? there is a 99.9% chance it will perform, but there is that slight chance it needs a few rounds through it to break in.

Can you hit the target? This In no way implies anything about your abilities. BUT, the gun has a differnt trigger than a "target gun". the long pull is your safety. Also you MUST fully release the trigger to reset or you will get light strikes.

The sights are very minimun and being able to determine the "sight picture" to hit at any range will require practice

Can you shoot the gun? the gun is at the limits of weight to recoil. It requires YOUR hand to provide the resistance to cycle the slide properly. a improper grip (limp wristing) is very easy overcomed with a little practice.

AND I how responsible would it look if you have a glitch and make the statement "this is the FIRST time I've every shot this gun" The instructor might require a repeat just because of that.

OH, by the way. Congrates on getting the P3AT. You will enjoy it and WELCOME to KTOG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Those were my concerns as well. I'll get some range time in and go for it next month.

I can't wait to shoot. It's going to be a completely different experience from anything I have shot before.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I would think with in a box or two you would have it covered, even if just informaly at paper plates.
Another thing, especially when new, the P3AT likes to be clean and lubed.
I would not shoot over 25 to 50 the first outing with out field stripping and cleaning.  A small file or scraper will be needed to knock down any proud metal.  the main area will be the frame rail opposite the ejector, the slide rail near the trigger bar cam, and the frame where the recoil rod head fits.

Any range over 7 yards will be a stretch.  Do you know the ranges and round counts required?  I used a borrowed ruger 22 to qualify

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I know is that you have to hit a paper target (human silhouette) 11 out of 20 have to be inside the lines or on the lines.  I guess I could use my Ruger 22.  I have one of the ones built on the 45 frame.  That would be really easy.  

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
Jaybull, use the 22. When I took mine they recomended that we use a 22. Noise levels comfort levels etc. Take the test with what you are comfortable with. Now that being said if you live in one of those states where you have to test with your carry piece, ........... nevermind.

In Okla. If you test with a revolver you can only carry a revolver, If you test with a semi-auto you can carry anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
jaythebull said:
I guess I could use my Ruger 22. I have one of the ones built on the 45 frame. That would be really easy.
If they allow you to do that...DO THAT! Use what you already know you can hit the target with.
After that you can take some time to learn to shoot the P3AT.
I used a borrowed S&W 3913 to qualify with, not my P3AT.....we shot at 50 feet. I am just now getting used to the P3At enough to hit consistently at 50 feet. Fo me, it's an under 21 feet gun.
Jack

·
Registered
32 Posts
In Ky you have to hit a sillouette at 21 feet 11 out of 20 times.I used my p3-at after only a few practice sessions and shot as well as most,and I am a new shooter.All 3 instructors that I talked to said that they never had anyone fail the shooting portion of the class.
That being said I think the Ruger 22/45 would be great choice to go ahead and qualify with because it takes so long to get your license here.
After you complete the course the instructor sends your completion to the state,the state then sends you a certificate which you then take to the county sherriff, the sherriff does a background check and if you pass they send you a notice that they have your license and you have to go back to the sherriff to pick it up.Took about 3 months to get mine so you may not want to wait another month.
Oh yeah and a little matter of a $60 fee to Ky on top of the $75 for the class.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If you qualify with a .22, then carry a .45 and shoot someone with the .45, you could be in a world of hurt. In KS they turn into the attorney general's office what caliber you qualified with. Granted, you can qualify with one gun, and then carry anything. We actually had an assistant to the AG in my class and he said the AG, who is not carry friendly, looked down on people qualifying with a .22 if that was not going to be their everyday carry cal.

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
Fortunately here in OK they don't keep that kind of info. I used my P85 because that's what I had. IIRC the range was like 3 & 5 yards. Most of the rest of the class used .22s. A friend offered me the use of his P22 but I'd never shot it before. Actually in this case it would not have mattered. ::) One little old lady had never shot a gun before. :-/

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Heck, I shot a .22 and have given it no further thought. The shoot distance was quite short and I just didn't want to waste .45 ammo for such silly reasons. I don't know if they recorded it or not and I really don't care. The law says that I can shoot with whatever I choose and carry what I choose.

Be Happy! Go shooting! ;D

·
Registered
394 Posts
jaythebull said:
All I know is that you have to hit a paper target (human silhouette) 11 out of 20 have to be inside the lines or on the lines.  I guess I could use my Ruger 22.  I have one of the ones built on the 45 frame.  That would be really easy.  
My daughter just received her CCDW here in Louisville, and she qualified with a S&W .22 but carrys her pink Bersa.  Qualify with what  ever you want but practice enough to be confident with what you carry and then  practice some more.

Check out the KTOG goes Local and look under the  Kentucky Konventions.  There are a great bunch of local folks who  love to get together and have a blast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.