cci blazers in the p3at?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ddhotbot, Sep 24, 2004.

1. ddhotbot

ddhotbot New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    has anybody tried the cci blazers(aluminum caesd) ammo in thier kel tec 380?i seen some at the store today ,reasonably priced.thought it would be good for practice and breaking the gun in with.little scared of that aluminum case though.any help is apprec thanks don

2. sgtdraino

sgtdraino New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Have not tried Blazers in my Kel-tec, but have had BAD experiences with them in every other gun I've tried them in. They just don't shoot good. Blazers and Wolf ammo, I avoid.

3. traveler

traveler New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    This is an interesting topic, because it seems to show up with frequency. I can understand this, because the aluminum cased ammo is cheap and readily available.

When Kel-Tec has been called and asked this question in the past, they have always said that none of their guns are designed for the use of aluminum cased ammunition.

There were situations where aluminum cases were rupturing when fired through Sub2000s, and Kel-Tec put out a warning on their website not to use such ammo.

Aside from what Kel-Tec has or has not said, I have noticed that there can be many issues with aluminum cases when fired in KT handguns. It all seems to come down to the fact that aluminum expands and contracts differently then brass does, and that there is also a lower pressure threshold of when aluminum will burst when stretched verses brass. At the very least there is with quite some frequency problems with aluminum cases not contracting far enough after the cartridge is fired, thus it hangs in the chamber and causes extraction problems.

However, there are those individuals that do occasionally report that they have fire really high numbers of aluminum cased ammo through their particular KT gun(s) without any ill effects or problems.

I always default to the safe and sane side, personally. ;)

4. Steveg

Steveg New Member

Sep 25, 2004
    I have had good success using Blazer in my 3ATs. Runs just as good as anything else I've tried. However, now that I've caught the 'Dillon Disease' I tend to stick with brands that will help feed the reloading habit.

5. adversary13

adversary13 New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    for all the more that it costs give it a try. If it functions good for you then use it. If it doesn't find something that will.

-Brock

6. jimg

jimg New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    This past w/e I shot a couple boxes of blazers w/o any problems. In fact I ran 3+ boxes thru it w/o any stoppages. I did have some stoppages (in the1st 70rds) prior to sending it back for a bad trigger. I really like this weapon...alot!

7. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I’m not keen on Blazer but it’s sure hard to pass up at about $8 per 100, especially when S&B isn’t on sale. I have fired 100s of rounds through my P-11s but less than a box through my P-3ATs. It seems to have much lighter recoil than S&B which is my preferred practice round.

Wilson – who’s saving bucks for a Kel-Tec P-T9

8. jimg

jimg New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Yes, you're right about the price being right. I also shoot them in my G19. I don't feel so badly leaving the empty cases at the range if they're Al. :)

As for recoil, my very unscientific findings are that they all seem the same.

Sadly, around here S&B isnt widely stocked. If I want them Id have to mail order. Id do that for 9mm which I shoot alot of but not for 380.

9. Profirefighter

Profirefighter New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Hanceville, Alabama
    I tried some of the blazers in mine when I first got it several years ago. No go. FTF and FTE just about every other round. I use them a lot in my Sub-2000 with no problems (just don't shoot too fast and heat things up). Been using them in my Ruger P-89 and EAA Witness with no problems.

10. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Fed a couple 100 380 through my Bersa and 500 9mm couple of weeks ago and didn't have any problems. Only shot a few through the AT but they worked.

11. Do a search on this forum. More then on P3AT has been Messed up by aluminum cased Ammo. The instructions are clear no aluminum cased ammo... What .....you think they say that to rip you off having to buy brass... No steel cased either. Why take a chance with your gun and your hand to save a few bucks?

12. Pthree80

Pthree80 New Member

Jan 22, 2011
    The Blazer just stinx IMHO. And forget the aluminum cased, I had my 2 FTE out of a box of 50... not terrible but those were the first FTEs I ever had and ejector is good and everything seems to be tight.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    FWIW, we have seen posted here, work orders from the Kel-tec Svc Dept that accompany guns returned from warranty repair.

At the bottom of the page it says:

Do not use steel, aluminum or polymer-cased ammunition.

I don't go looking for trouble and I don't want to compromise a SD pistol, so I try to take care of my Kel-tecs. Personally, I'll not bother shooting anything but decent quality, brass-cased ammo, just to save a few pennies. ymmv...

14. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Did anybody else notice this thread is 7 years old! :eek:

15. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, and I remember it's first run.

Still relevent today. :)

16. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Uh...I agree. I was just sayin'. ;)

17. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

I thought I had read somewhere around here to never use aluminum ammo in the SUB-2000?

18. LostBits

LostBits Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Good to know to avoid aluminum cased shells. Thx

19. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

I thought I had read somewhere around here to never use aluminum ammo in the SUB-2000?[/quote]

That is correct.  Kel-tec specifically warns against using aluminum-cased ammo in the sub2k.  Case failure and a kaboom are possibilities in the blow back subbie.  I would surely not use them where saftey is an issue and that is the case with the sub2k.

FWIW, if you send a pistol to KT for repair, when it returns, at the bottom of the work order, it will say:

Do not use steel, aluminum, or polymer-cased ammunition.