Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much of my shooting is done out in the woods and not at a range.  I really do NOT like leaving brass in the woods as its just not polite to not pack out what you take in.  In addition I would like to start saving up for when (if?) I get bit by the reloading bug.

Its easy to throw down a tarp to my right and slightly back to catch brass from most anything I fire.  But I still can't figure out where all the brass from my P3AT is going!  Most of it seems to be around the hood of the truck if I am standing at the tail gate but it varies pretty widely.  

Anyone have a solution that has worked with their P3ATs?

-Scott

·
Registered
384 Posts
adamsesq said:
Anyone have a solution that has worked with their P3ATs?

-Scott

two items:

1 - I ground off the piece of frame just under the extractor when the slide is full back. The case gets caught between the extractor and the frame, then snaps wildly, mostly up, on the way out.

2 - I smoothed the sharp edges on the frame and slide that the case hits as it is ejected to the right.

Not only did this improve the cases going to the right, but it also reduced the smashing of the case mouths.

JerryO

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JerryO said:
two items:
1 - I ground off the piece of frame just under the extractor when the slide is full back.  The case gets caught between the extractor and the frame, then snaps wildly, mostly up, on the way out.
2 - I smoothed the sharp edges on the frame and slide that the case hits as it is ejected to the right.  

Not only did this improve the cases going to the right, but it also reduced the smashing of the case mouths.

JerryO
Sounds like what I might want to think about. I'm not looking at mine but can't quite picture what you are saying - do you mean frame or grip or slide? Isn't the frame totally underneath the bullet at all times and all ejection controlled by the slide/ejector assembly?

Pictures maybe?

-Scott

·
Registered
384 Posts
adamsesq said:
- do you mean frame or grip or slide?  

Isn't the frame totally underneath the bullet at all times and all ejection controlled by the slide/ejector assembly?

Pictures maybe?  

-Scott
I mean the frame. The P3AT seems to have been developed from the P32. Thus the larger case of .380 catches the frame that the .32 missed.

Any way, take the slide off the P3AT, and you can see a shiney spot opposite the ejector. This spot is shiney from the case hitting it, which pinches the case rim between the extractor and this spot on the frame.

I cut (dremeled) back at about 45 degrees right over the shiney spot. That would be near 1/8 inch wide and 1/8 inch to the end of the taper.

I have rounded where the case mouth hits the frame on the way out, but very little. The bottom of the ejection port (on the frame) got rounded much more, but This concerns me as slides seem to be soft (at least on the PF9). Still, it takes very little metal removal to round the edge of the ejection port.

And, NO, I don't have any pictures. Though many have posted pictures of the shiney spot on the frame.

JerryO

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JerryO said:
Any way, take the slide off the P3AT, and you can see a shiney spot opposite the ejector. This spot is shiney from the case hitting it, which pinches the case rim between the extractor and this spot on the frame.

I cut (dremeled) back at about 45 degrees right over the shiney spot.  That would be near 1/8 inch wide and 1/8 inch to the end of the taper.  
AHH! I remember now how the frame comes up in the back and can picture exactly what you are saying.

And now harm in function is done to rounding off this area of the frame?

THANKS! Scott

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
adamsesq said:
And no harm in function is done to rounding off this area of the frame?

THANKS!  Scott
No harm -- or no change??

Others have said this corner will wear away after enough shooting, Perhaps.

Anyway, I can't imagine any change except for the ejection pattern. And I find mine to be better. And I can't remember anyone else cutting this corner back. I do because I save my brass to reload AND want to catch it in that little baggy Bobo mentioned.

You may have to smooth the ejection port to get a really nice eject pattern. I can see mine has both.

JerryO

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
adamsesq said:
But I still can't figure out where all the brass from my P3AT is going! Most of it seems to be around the hood of the truck if I am standing at the tail gate but it varies pretty widely.
Stand at the hood of your truck then the brass will end up in the bed. If some of the brass misses the truck bed, buy a bigger truck.

Wilson – who’s wondering why folks think this stuff is so hard to solve ;D

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
orientalexpress said:
sell me your 3at and buy a revolver.
I'd sooner buy a bigger truck as per Wilson's suggestion! :)

But let me think about it. Are you offering to buy ALL of my 3ats? An even grand and I might think about it, if wifey will let me....

-Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.