Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in another forum and came here to see if it had been discussed. In a nutshell, according to the guy he bought a new PF9 and suffered a catastrophic failure at about the 40 round mark by the way of a slide separation.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/947209-Careful-you-will-put-your-eye-out

To me, sounds like this guy ended up with a used PF9 that he thought was new and happened to have a severely cracked slide that finally gave out. Otherwise, it might have been a serious slip at KT QC as I doubt a slide like that wouldn't have some type of visual indication that it has a serious issue. Thoughts? I'm really surprised I'm not seeing this already discussed.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Never seen one do that before?:eek: Most common cracks in slide usually start in "V" of slide stop notch and I don't recall a slide with that crack doing like this one did???

·
Registered
383 Posts
Look at the scar on the right lens of the safety glasses.:eek:

edit: just read the linked thread. One pic does appear to show some slide Peening though the focus is very poor. Kel-Tec needs to contact him. Sounds like the medical bills will be in the thousands.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am wondering what happened to the assembly pin. Could that have been the weak point which set off a chain of events? I do not see it in the picture. And I doubt they too the time to clean the scene and search of all parts when someone had a serious accident. I also wonder about damage to the assembly pin holes... Hmmm. Either way that heart breaking. For the owner and the gun.

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

-- Booker T. Washington

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Just looking at what are very blurred and indistinct photos, the "failure" points seem very odd. Close to the front of the slide, they are not where such a failure might be expected (which would be more toward the rear area of the slide stop cut out, which is where most reported cracks have occured). Also, the fractures appear (again too blurrred to really tell) to be very sharp and clean. Nicely vertical, and much less jagged than most metal fractures I have seen. No "twisting" or bending notable either, which should have occured when one side failed, and then would have twisted, fracturing the other side of the slide. What are the odds of both sides of the slide having faults, and fracturing simultaneously? Not sure what to make of the whole thing really.

Jim R

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Wow, that's pretty scary. I've never seen anything like that - never even seen a crack in that area. I'd like to know what caused it. Possibly several factors... perfect storm scenario. 4140 steel should not do that. :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
What happened to the last brass shot? Wonder if it was mushroomed out the back or intact? Too many questions.

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

-- Booker T. Washington

·
Grand Poobah
1,367 Posts
Lurker25,

The assembly pin is still in the frame where it belongs. I looked at the original post on the bladeforums and on the second page there are more pictures, including one that shows the assembly pin installed in the frame, right where it should be.

That is a freaky failure. Aren't the forces at that part of the slide pretty much a straight dead pull?

buzzsaw

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Lurker25,

The assembly pin is still in the frame where it belongs. I looked at the original post on the bladeforums and on the second page there are more pictures, including one that shows the assembly pin installed in the frame, right where it should be.

That is a freaky failure. Aren't the forces at that part of the slide pretty much a straight dead pull?

buzzsaw
There would be some upward force, but most of it would be pretty much straight to the rear. Going back and re-looking at the pics on the original posts, I do note that close ups of the glasses, ammo box, frame, barrel, etc are pretty clear, but all the pics of the slide are extremely blurry. Wonder why just the slide pics are blurred, to the point of not really being able to see the fracture points?

Jim R

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Best shots I could get with my Iphone of the catastrophic failure of the slide:
Those are about the worse I-Phone pics I have ever seen. Even the older models should take much better pics than that. The I-phones for the last several years have pretty good cameras and the current models are quite good. Bad lighting? It would be nice if he had taken some good close-ups of the slide. Maybe he'll post some better pics later on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
U guys see in his post farther down another guy had a bersa 380 that blew up like this and he was shooting handloads that a several rounds come to find out had a double charge of powder?

I bet he had a round with a double dose that blew it up...jmo

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
The OP did write that the 9mms were bought from the range.
I've never actually used (or even seen) Federal 9mm in a White box in stores, so I don't know their history.

It is a shame that the broken slide pics aren't clearer. Most catastrophic slide pics I've seen were twisted and bent (blown) outward, rather than as 'clean' as these (blurry) pics make them appear. It definitely would be great if he (or someone) could retake the slide pics, so people could get a better look at what might have happened.

Luckily, his injuries weren't as severe as they could have been...
... and condolences on the loss of his Aunt... A Bad Week for his family.

·
Registered
54 Posts
RobzKT said:
The OP did write that the 9mms were bought from the range.
I've never actually used (or even seen) Federal 9mm in a White box in stores, so I don't know their history.

It is a shame that the broken slide pics aren't clearer. Most catastrophic slide pics I've seen were twisted and bent (blown) outward, rather than as 'clean' as these (blurry) pics make them appear. It definitely would be great if he (or someone) could retake the slide pics, so people could get a better look at what might have happened.

Luckily, his injuries weren't as severe as they could have been...
... and condolences on the loss of his Aunt... A Bad Week for his family.
We had a range years ago selling reloads in boxes they pulled out of the range garbage.
A box of Winchester I bought had 3 different head stamps.Not saying this is the case here
but odd things do happen.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Hmm... Googling around I found some pics of the same thing happening with a Beretta 92F. The 3rd pic shows the slide broken in half, much like this one. Further down, are pics of a slide that is cracked in the same place.
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=5&f=15&t=101362

20 years ago, this was apparently a common failure with the Beretta 92F, enough so that there were quite a few injured troops.
http://www.thegunzone.com/m9-a.html

I haven't found a cause posted for the fracturing Beretta slides, but due to the frequency of occurance, and since it was apparently corrected, it must have been some defect in the design and/or manufacturing process. :confused:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not nearly enough information to make any concrete conclusion, though factory ammo isn't immune from being double charged.
I suspect that (if he's smart) his lawyer and KelTec and Federal will settle it without going to court.

That said, there is one thing we can all take from this:

WEAR YOUR GORRAM EYE PROTECTION!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Buddy had a new high point 9mm that did this not as extreme tho, also shooting handloads, i was there he got some shrapnal in the cheek.

We never guessed it was ammo but i bet it was, he just went right back to the gun shop and got his money back.

I was gonna buy some reloads thru my gun club this week...this has me thinking twice.

Could be the gun but it seems common thread is its amatuer reloads

·
Registered
65 Posts
A guy I used to work with had this happen to his S&W revolver. He was shootings a box of reloads that were given to him by his son in law. Lucky for him the safety glasses saved his eyes. It broke the barrel and chamber in half and the barell hit him in the glasses directly in the right lense.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did some googling on this too. Found this quote on a survivalist zombie board (yep.. seriously) and I don't think they are talking about the same incident.

There was no swelling or aparent stress fractures in the chamber to indicate a hot load. Upon inspection we could see that the metal in the area of seperation did not look like it was properly annealed.
Source link is http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=66034

TxCajun.. what do you think about that? Possible? I'm actually pretty ignorant of metallurgy but I know that annealing is basically heat treating the metal, right? Could poor heat treatment cause slide separation to that extent with normal pressure ammo?

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Hmm... I'm no metalurgist, but I suppose heat treatment could be in play. I do recall early on in the PF9 history someone from KT told us that different levels of heat treatment were applied to different areas of the slide. My first thoughts, barring an overloaded round, would be some kind of inclusion or defect in that piece of bar steel, but who knows.

In all likelihood, we will never know, if it is even knowable by KT after examining the gun. I would imagine that a lot of that kind of work involves educated guessing. :confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.