Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Casting bullets is pretty easy!!!

When you get your new mold, clean ALL the oil off with breakclean, Smoke the inside of the mold with a lighter, lube spurce plate and top of the mold with a no 2 pencil, yeah for the graphite.

After the whole pot melts it's almost up to temp, your getting there when you can dip the corner of the mold in the pot for 30 seconds or so and the mold come out clean.

After the mold and lead is hot enough to come out clean i dip the end of the spruce plate in the lead to heat it up.

When pouring, it's got to be nonstop!!! Want to fill a little thud when it tops off. The lead on the spruce plate will freeze then a few seconds latter you will see it flash over, open the mold then!!! If you open it before it WILL smear lead on the spruce plate. To late and you will have to really wack the mold open.

Drop your bullets on something soft too keep them from deforming.

Hope it was'nt too painfull reading, casting is pretty easy, the temps and stuff you will have to get a feel for yourself. I can tell how hot my lead is by watching the lead in my ladle.

For shinny bullets you want the lead just hot enough not to fold while filling the mold.

If your getting to hot, your bullets will get frosty. They still shoot good!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good write up.

Here's another tip. If you want the bullets to be a little harder, drop them from the mold into a bucket of water. They'll come out a few points harder than if you dropped them onto a cloth or other soft place.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
With one of those fancy heater pots with spout on the bottom. Now do ya still need a pot and a laddle? Ya do have to skim? Can ya tell where ya get your lead and/or what kind of metals go into making your favorite lead?

I watched YouTube .

I think i like dropping bullets into water bucket.

Ok, ya got a pile of bullets. Now ya need a lube-a-sizer?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I haven't got a bottom pour yet. think for two hole molds it's not really needed. for a 6 hole mold it would be handy.

Wheel weights cast pretty good, i mix everything i can find together. Unless your casting rifle bullets don't worry too much about the alloy.

After i flux with some bullet lube or some candle wax i swipped off one of the old lady candles. i pretty much leave the pot alone and dip lead from one spot. The more you stir and skim the more slag, oxidation you'll keep getting.

Tho only size die i have is for my rifle bullet mold, use that to crimp gas checks on, i'm still using the lee liquid alox on them after sizing. All but my 9mm mold are tumble lube molds, the lee lube has worked on the 9mm pretty good.

Get you a camp stove a cheap pan and a big spoon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts