Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed some empty cases with a rupture at the mouth of the case.
This was with Winchester super-X 40 gr. FMJ. I have two PMR's and only have experienced this with the older of the two, it does have the updated barrel. The shots made a different report than usual. (the reason I notced)
Also the POI was different. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have noticed this same thing in a couple of my 17HMR caliber guns. I have had ZERO functionality issues and ZERO accuracy problems... In short, so what about the splits... Its a RF the brass is scrap aft being fired. Don't fix whats not broken.

CW

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have noticed some empty cases with a rupture at the mouth of the case.
This was with Winchester super-X 40 gr. FMJ. I have two PMR's and only have experienced this with the older of the two, it does have the updated barrel. The shots made a different report than usual. (the reason I notced)
Also the POI was different. Has anyone else noticed this?
So at the mouth, not at the rim huh? Got any pics?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've seen it before, but never with new brass. For the record, I don't re-load or custom load rim-fire, I just stockpile it. I presume that either the brass was too hard, or the chamber too large. Also there was no bulging one the rim or head.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just wanted everyone to know I have found more case mouth ruptures! Never would have noticed if not for the hang nail effect which caught my attention. This time it was on unfired ammo, mouth of cases were split about 1/4 to 1/2 inch down. It is noteworthy that this ammo was of a different lot number. Please be careful when using this type of ammo! Will add pictures later, maybe if I take them in daylight, they will come out better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts