Carrying your Kel-Tek

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Walsh2, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Walsh2

Walsh2 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Most people have an intent for a gun when purchaed and the Kel-Tek, or any pocket gun, is not usually your range gun that you'd put 200-300 rounds through in a day. So how do you utilize your Kel-Tek if you have a carry permit in your state.

2. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    70% of the time I carry the P3AT is the gun on me. I never carry multiple guns.

3. Walsh2

Walsh2 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    I know six people who teach CCW classes. All carry a Kel-Tek as a backup. All said if they feel that they can get to their primary gun after firing they will drop the Kel-Tek and pull their primnary gun and continue shooting with it.

Walsh

4. ocurran

ocurran New Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I have my P3AT with me 100% of the time. About 30% of the time I will have my PF-9 with me as well.
    Rear pocket for the P3AT and front pocket or ankel for the PF-9.

5. Southernshooter

Southernshooter New Member

May 31, 2007
    I couldn't find an answer that fit me perfect. I work 2 jobs working my construction job I carry my P3AT as my main carry gun. My other job at a gun shop, My Kel-Tec is carried as a back up to my Glock 30. Whenever I get dressed and go somewhere I carry my G30 with the P3At as a backup. However if I have to go in somewhere where carry is not allowed, I will leave my G30 in the truck and keep my Kel-Tec

What did I ever do before this little thing :)

6. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    XD-45C carried most of the time. P3AT carried all the time. I also carry pepper gas all the time.

If I carry the XD, it is always primary. It is beaucoup firepower and a lot more accurate. But it is much harder to conceal. I have to dress around the XD. I never have to dress around the P3AT.

I kinda view my self defense as an AWD four-wheeler. The two front wheels are Evasion and Pepper Gas. The two rear wheels are XD and P3AT.

7. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    you willnever know what and where I am carrying.

i need to keep surprise in my favor.

bg's monitor these forums as well.

and as for conceal, anyone can conceal anthing, including my wife...she was concealing a xd-40 when princemorr2003 came up, and his only question was where, and my response was not where it was, but where which one was.

his response was "more than 1" ?

you can hide anything with the right accessories. holsters and clothes take some planning, and you need to work it into the lifestyle.

later folks. off to buy more stuff. time to invest in "virtual airsoft" :cool:

8. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    While I’m not a CCW instructor, I can empty a P-3AT in just over two seconds, why wouldn’t I empty eight seven rounds before taking time to go for a primary gun? After all the bad guys are within a few feet of me or I wouldn’t be going for a hide out gun. Even though it’s only shooting .380 Cor-Bon there’s a good chance 8 7 rounds would scare the BGs off more than a threading gesture of dropping a firing pistol to draw another gun.

Now if your CCW instructors are concerned about their P-3AT not emptying it’s full magazine, I think they are incompetent. Anyone who fails to maintain their Kel-Tec is unknowledgeable of the pistol or lazy. Even a featherweight pistol like a P-3AT will fire at least 50 rounds flawlessly before being clogged with debris. Surely those CCW instructor assumed you meant going for their primary gun after emptying the Kel-Tec ;)

Wilson – who’s assuming you wish to create controversy rather than see unbiased poll results after reading the above [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

OOPS, I didn’t have my 1+ extension mag in my P-3AT that day :)

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Let me get this ....
    Use Backup system first, then use primary :-/
    I definately need to go back to school ;)

10. Hutch01

Hutch01 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Nah, they don't teach how to tune sullbhit detectors at schools anymore! ;)

11. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    The P-3AT is my ‘summer’ gun. Rest of the year it’s a Kahr CW9. I suppose I could then carry the 3AT as a backup, though I might be just as well off carrying another magazine or two for the Kahr. ;)

12. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    The closest I could come was "always as a back up"

I have a Kel-Tec product on me 99 percent of the time. At work, both carries are KT. When I carry in street clothes, I usually carry my Sig open. But the KT is my BUG.

When I go into "victim disarmament zones" and I HAVE to conceal, I usually go back to 2 KTs.

Around the house, 90 percent of the time, it's the PF-9. The other 10 it's a snubby.

So I guess that answer is right...