Carrying one in the chamber???

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Crazy_Horse, May 26, 2010.

1. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Need some experienced advice. This is my first gun and first time carrying. I've been carrying my p3at unchambered. I carry in a Nemesis holster usually in my cargo pocket. Eveyone i talk to says to carry one in the chamber. My question or main issue is in the cargo pocket it tends to bounce off my knee alot while walking. Is there any chance of the gun going off if it hits my knee?

2. Jdeere562

Jdeere562 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    As long as the trigger is covered by a holster, you are good to go. :cool:

3. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    These guns were designed to be carried with one in the chamber. That is the primary reason for the long, fairly heavy double action only trigger pull. Additionally, with the light firing pin and spring, the chances of an accidental discharge even with a long drop onto a very hard surface are basically non-existent. Only with a pull of the trigger will this gun fire, thus it is important to ensure a good pocket (or other kind of holster) which protects the trigger. Other than that, you are good to go and carry safely.

Jim R

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    With any new device, a trial period is needed. I carried mine in a HOLSTER empty for a couple weeks. at the end of the day inspect the hammer and besure it is not down. once I had confidense in MY P3AT, a round has been in the chamber.

I WOULD NOT carry a loaded P3AT unholstered in a pocket

5. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    It's natural at first to feel awkward when carrying a gun with one in the chamber.

Carry it for a while with a full mag and nothing in the chamber. Then, check it all to make sure it didn't go off...it won't have.

Then, put one in the chamber and carry with confidence.

By the way, there is no other way to carry a gun for self defense than to have one in the chamber. In a self defense situation, you will not have time to pull the weapon, rack the slide, acquire your target and fire.

6. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Eventually it will feel awkward to carry a gun without one in the chamber ;)

SteveB

7. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    And, eventually it will feel awkward not having your gun on you. Similar to forgetting to put on your watch.
    That's a great thing about the 380, you don't forget it's there, it's just there and you don't think anything of it.

As far as guns in general, our family tradition on chambered rounds is "Handguns hot, Long guns not"  :cool:

Maybe I should start a thread "Momma said..."

8. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks as always for all the help. I feel more comfortable carrying chambered now. Also I bought the belt clip to wear iwb. Does anyone carry loaded like that or is that a no no??

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    This has been an area of heated discussion in the past.
    there is a post in the FAQ\VIP http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204743856/0#0
    that links first to here http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204008212
    which then links to here
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204008212

I still think there were some more heated discusions though

10. I carry one in the pipe AND gun in a holster that guards the trigger. ANd the wyas I carry do not allow the gun to bounce around and shift out of position.

11. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I AGREE 100 % MOST IMPORTANT NO SHIFT NO LIFT--

12. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I carry my P3AT in the front pocket of my cargo shorts, using just a belt clip...with one in the chamber.

Have for years.

Many of us use the belt clip with no problems.

YMMV.

13. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    i carry one in the chamber at all times,,, pocket holster, ankle holster, and/or belt clip. have done so for years, never had any problems.

14. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I carry IWB with just the belt clip everyday.

15. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Many apparently carry their handguns (whether the P3AT, PF9, or other) with just a belt clip and seem to have had little or no problem with it. But there are two basic arguments against it. First, clip carry, especially in a pocket, expose the pistol to all kinds of lint, dust, pocket junk, etc which can get into the guns mechanism and run the risk of a gun jam at the wrong time. A decent holster helps keep this junk out of the gun, and a clean pistol has a better chance of going bang when needed. Second, although instances are pretty rare I think, many of us just don't like the idea of leaving the trigger exposed to anything which could catch on the trigger and result in an inadvertent discharge. This especially holds true for IWB carry I think, but could also happen in a pocket if say, the trigger got caught on the edge of a desk when getting up, or many other possible scenarios. That being said, as always, each individual has to make those choices appropriate for themselves. But most, if not all, pros always emphasize the importance of a good holster which fully covers/protects the trigger. JMHO.

Jim R

16. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I prefer carrying my handgun loaded. A pistol without one in the chamber isn't loaded. When you consider the reaction time after a threat is noticed, and the time it takes to get the pistol out of your pocket, you are already running out of time, if you haven't already. If you have to add time to chamber a round, and make sure you do it right while under pressure, you are probably going to be in deep do-do by the time you are ready to shoot.

I carry the P3AT, with a round chambered, in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster a lot. It doesn't bother me a bit. To me, these double action pistols are like carrying a revolver. It doesn't shoot until you pull the trigger.

The apprehension can be understandable, and I don't doubt that at all. It's just something you have to get used to.

17. Polygon

Polygon New Member

May 28, 2010
    I know some people are fine with it, but I'm not. I'm talking about carrying it chambered with just the belt clip. Right now I'm looking for a good holster. Once I find one that works, that has a trigger guard, I will carry it chambered.

One thing I saw that was really cool was a holster used my the Russia special forces, the Spetsnaz. They have a holster that you push down on the gun to release it and it racks the slide at the same time so you don't have to carry it chambered if you're not comfortable with that. Awesome holster.

18. acts2florida

acts2florida New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    [highlight]"The apprehension can be understandable, and I don't doubt that at all. It's just something you have to get used to."[/highlight]

It was not that long ago that I got my CWL and began carrying daily. At first, I too was apprehensive about carrying hot. Didn't take long though to figure out the critical timing issue, or that a decent pocket holster (along with retraining myself to no longer place loose change, pens, pocketknives, etc. in my front right pocket) will keep me both prepared AND safe. It took a fundamental change in my behavior to create good carry habits. Now it's almost second nature. Interesting side note: A LGS owner recently tried to sell me on the merits of a pocket clip for my P3AT. I didn't buy it, either literally or figuratively. I trust a covered trigger, regardless of length of pull....one man's opinion. ;)

19. +1 And the behaviors have to be constantly honed with training and practice.

20. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I carry my P3AT in an Uncle Henry pocket holster in my front pocket. When I carry my winter gun, P11 with shirt tail out, I carry with a belt clip. The pistol is behind my 1 1/4 in belt, and the material of the waist band of my trousers. The trigger is well protected. But, to each his own.

Life is short, be happy