Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the p3at and my question may sound silly so please forgive me if it does.anyway here goes.will carrying in the tube and i assume cocked weaken the spring ?? ???

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Welcome to KTOG, cornbread!

Just when I was getting ready with the "beat the dead horse" icon, I realize it's a fresh question.

NO! Maybe the spring would weaken somewhat if carried at FULL cock, but not at half cock.

The P3AT is DESIGNED to be carried with one in the chamber. Let not your heart be troubled.

Packer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Look at it this way -

Even IF  having a round in the chamber did eventually weaken the spring (I assume you mean -firing pin spring  - (same would hold for any spring). The springs for the P-3AT are cheap -
(firing pin spring is $.80) so - if you are concerned - you could just replace it  every 2 years.

But what is the alternative?

Carry around a gun that is not ready to be used.

Maybe the BG will listen when you ask him to - PLEASE wait 10 seconds before you stab me so I can load a round in the chamber and shoot you!  

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
the p3at has 10 springs.

the springs that are different between "loaded" and 'unloaded" would be the magazine and extractor springs.

Thus if there is a concern about weaking a spring, it would be best to also carry with none in the magazine too. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Isn't the hammer spring also different when "loaded" or "unloaded"?
Isn't it slightly stretched in the "loaded" (half-cocked) position?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree with the above posts.  z71bill put it best...

"...carry(ing) around a gun that is not ready to be used."

If it's not loaded with one in the pipe and full magazine, there's no point in having it on your person.  By the way, you need good holster to prevent accidental discharge.  I.e. something that covers the trigger completely.

If the time ever comes and you have to draw your weapon, you want it to be ready...without a doubt.  Under stress, you don't want to think about ANYTHING other than stopping a threat if you cannot remove yourself or a loved-one from the situation.  Oh, and don't forget, what's BEHIND your target if you pull the trigger and miss???  

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The hammer must be at "half cocked" to put the slide on.

Racking the slide resets the hammer to half cock whether a round chambers or not.

I guess you could dry fire to drop the hammer :-/

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Operating the slide to load the gun doesn't cock the hammer. (well, it does, but it doesn't stay cocked)

Pulling the trigger cocks the hammer.
It is never left resting in the full cock position.

When the slide goes forward, the hammer follows it down to rest on the hammer-block safety. There is very little tension on the hammer spring in this position.

It is always at rest on the hammer-block safety unless you pull the trigger to cock and release it.

Leaving the gun loaded indefinitely will have no effect at all on the hammer spring.

There is no effect on the firing pin spring whatsoever.
It is always spring loaded to the rear, until the hammer hits it and drives it forward, then it immediately springs back to the rear position as the slide cycles.
Loaded or unloaded makes no difference at all to the FP spring.

rcmodel

·
Registered
41 Posts
I always keep a round chambered because my throwing arm is not as good as it use to be and that's all I could do if my gun was not operational. I don't want to throw a perfectly good gun either.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think a similar dicsussion about springs came up on the PF-9 board...and I do believe this topic is about springs, and not anything else.

Wound springs have a lifespan based on how many times they are designed to stretch and relax - not how long it is held in either of position. Obviously, the quality of the spring's material is important too.

If I'm incorrect, please chime in. (I know somebody will disagree, regardless.) 8)

Ned.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I read somewhere, perhaps in a NRA publication, about magazine springs losing their tension when compressed for a very long time. I think the conclusion was don't worry about it. But if you're that anal, change to a second magazine every 6 months and unload the first one.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just a guess - how is this logic.

If a fully loaded magazine does causes a spring to become weak (over time) / or if it just becomes weak because of use - would it still work for the first several shots - and then fail to load the last 1 or 2 rounds? So you would still have 5 shots / maybe 6 before the problem would show up. Not good to have any type of failure - but not near as bad as thinking you have 7 shots - and ending up with a single shot "semi auto".

Every time I go to the range (about once every 5-6 weeks) the first thing I do is shoot the magazine that I have been carrying. Since I have never had a failure (with any gun) shooting my carry magazine it gives me a little bit of confidence.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Seems I read somewhere recently that it's the flexing of the springs that wears them out, not the compression or lack of same.

Dunno if that's true, but since I read it, I've been using separate mags for carry and shootin' (except for when I "refresh" my carry ammo).

DP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.