Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dragged my SU16B out last week and have been shooting and playing with it. I had a red dot on it but was at my hunting property shooting at 150 and 200 yards. Really needed a scope so I swapped out the red dot for a 3-9x old cheap scope I had laying around.

Anyway, using the stock 10 rounders stashed in the stock got me thinking about using my SU as a truck gun and what I would use to carry mags with it. The stock takes a standard 30 round aluminum mag which itself is better than the 2 10 rounders that come with it. But the 30 rounder is just one mag and I would want a reload JIC something went wrong with it.

I had a couple stock pouches I use on my hunting guns so I put one on the SU. I had to fiddle with the straps as the stock is pretty narrow. Once installed however it worked well.

It covers the access for the 30 round mag in the stock but it's easy to pull the straps loose.

Just need to pull the front strap loose and the mag will come out.

The main reason for the pouch is to hold a 20 round mag.

The zippered side pocket will also hold the original take down pin (I have a Clovis pin in the receiver) and a bore snake. Heck, there's enough room in it to carry a small survival kit in it if you wanted to.

The pouch doesn't interfere with folding the stock and provides a raised padded cheek weld
when using a scope. I'll probably put the red dot back on it once I'm done testing the accuracy with the scope.

I figure the 20 rounder in the pouch and 30 rounder in the stock should be good enough. That's 50 rounds compared to 20 with the stock mags. On the other hand I could carry a loose 30 round mag to immediately load into the rifle, have the 20 rounder in the pouch and the other 30 round stashed in the stock JIC. I can't imagine needing 80 rounds for anything but it's nice to have it available.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good for SHTF and or truck gun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured out a way to carry another 30 round mag. I had an AR mag molle pouch that can be secured with the velcro straps on the stock pouch. With the 20 round mag in the pouch it makes the stock pretty wide but it you take out the 30 rounder and use it first which is what you would do, it's not too bad. Or you could just leave the 20 rounder out of the pouch pocket and use the pocket for incidentals and not to carry a mag. That still gives you 60 rounds with the gun and a change of mags.

The other idea is to rotate the mag pouch to the bottom of the stock. That way it doesn't stick out the side as far. That gives you 20 or 30 rounds up front with the other mag as a backup and the one in the stock as last ditch. Of course you would have to drop the pouches to get at it but that only take three quick pulls on the straps.

I kinda like the bottom carry method but it doe prevent the stock from folding all the way. So I guess the solution is to carry it on the side when folded and rotate it to the bottom when in use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts