Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbor mentioned that he never carries his mousegun with a round in the chamber. He feels it is unsafe to do so. I do not think this is wise. I think it is unsafe to have to chamber a round quickly when a threat is coming at you. I think these P-3AT's can safely be carried loaded.

How do all of you carry?

Round in the chamber?
or
No round in the chamber?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I am sure most people carry with a round in the chamber and in a good holster as the guns are designed to be safe when carried fully loaded.

Most BGs will try to attack by surprise from close range. they will often be within arms length by the time you can draw your gun. At that point you may be defending against an edged weapon or a club with one hand and trying to use your gun with the other hand. You had better have the chamber loaded.

Many people are uneasy about safety when they first begin to carry a gun. The remedy for that is to become more familiar with the gun. You might ask your friend how many times his gun has snapped on the empty chamber while he carried it. If it is a KT the answer will be never as they will not fire unless the trigger is deliberately pulled.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I carry with one in the chamber. I trust my P3AT, but there are some pistols that I would be scared with one in the hole. Example: I had a Jenning Arms 22.

Plus... you may not have time to rack the slide

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't own a p3at, I have recently acquired a sub 2000. I have looked and and like the p3at and it is next on my shopping list. While I dont claim to be a tactical expert, I have worked in law enforcement for about 6 and a half years now and I still remember my academy firearms instructor's favorite saying.

"You will never need a gun until you need it badly!!!"

I'm not too sure if that is gramatically correct, but its a plain and simple as I can put it. With a quality firearm I wouldnt carry it any other way. And I dont know of any law enforcement agency in the country that would carry their weapons without a round chambered.

p.s. I hope your neighbor never needs his gun badly.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
bdbirddog said:
...I dont know of any law enforcement agency in the country that would carry their weapons without a round chambered...
how about Mayberry, NC?

G

·
I carry several different handguns (at different times) as CC. All that I carry have quality holsters either of leather or kydex. I trust all of my guns in a quality holster (whether IWB, OWB or Pocket) to have a round chambered when carrying. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON! As stated above; the threat will usually make itself known at the last second. THERE WILL BE NO TIME TO CHAMBER THEN.

If one is originally fearful of carrying with a round chambered, I suggest doing so at home until comfortable (in that good quality holster that protects the trigger).

The KT P32 I often carry is one of the safest I can think of this way. It was a little harder getting used to having a chambered round in my Glock 23 but, now I never go without one 'in the pipe' and I am totally confident.

Finally, I think that if one practices to the point of knowing the weapon they are going to carry as well as they can (and should), they will feel more confident carrying this way.

Is this horse dead yet?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If Not for Repeat Posts, then.....

fatman said:
Dead, buried and dug up again.
how dead would any forum be?
Lets face it, after the P-3AT or any other gun for that matter that has been around for 6 months or so, whats left to discuss? How many new posts are really original?
We could take this forum and almost make it search/read only after 6 months. That would suck! I'll bet about 95% of what you need to know about the P-3AT has already been discussed on this forum. The search engine can be tricky at times. You may phrase something a certain way and not get the expected results. So what if a newbie asks a question that has been asked a million times. Just point us to the thread we need, and we will be very grateful. This is what Bobo did for me and I appreciated it. Most of you members are much more civil than others I have dealt with on other forums. This is by far one of the most helpful forums I have ever participated in.
Owning and carrying a handgun is such a huge responsibility and nobody should be afraid to ask a question on this forum. Better to help each other than have someone with a CCW go out and screw things up for the rest of us. I never realized how important a good holster is for carrying with one in the chamber. I just took care of that issue.
So, "Dead, buried and dug up again", I expect that some newbie will come along very soon and ask this question again. No big deal, I will point that person to this thread.
BTW Fatman, I am not picking on you, I appreciate your earlier reply. I am just trying to make a point about repeat posts.
Thanx to all for your input. I am back to carrying with one in the chamber.

G

·
vette. I agree with you, I never use the "search engine" and It doesn't bother me to see the same things asked again and again, alot of times it is asked in a different way. New people don't know. Only so many things to talk about on this forum and duplication is one of them that is for sure, but I still enjoy reading those though..

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Corbon DPX is probably as good as it gets and no the ammo nor holster should require any attention. ???

BTW, which holster?

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Just trying to ask ALL of the questions in one....

But to answer your holster question so far: Uncle Mike's #2 in pocket or boot (not good but available), and on order: KD, Grandfather Oak kydex, Desantis Nemesis and still thinking about a Fist tuckable kydex (which might do double duty in the boot as well).

Do I need to fluff and buff any of these for reliability and do any of them have a chamber????

-Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.