Carry of P3AT with round in chamber

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jsintexas, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jsintexas

jsintexas New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I have a P3AT that I plan to carry. I purchased it in 2006.

Are there any recalls that need to be addressed before I can safely carry the pistol with a round in the chamber?

Have their been any issues with the weapon going off if dropped?

Thanks

2. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    They have a hammer block so carry it with one in the hole. I would not own a DA that I didnt feel safe carrying loaded.

3. chrispens

chrispens New Member

Jan 8, 2011
    long trigger pull makes me feel more confident about carrying with one in the chamber.

4. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    None that I’m aware of.

I purchase mine in 2006 and only had a fail to eject issue I couldn’t fix myself, ser. # HV……..
    Sent it to KT, had it back within 2 weeks and it was flawless afterwards.

The gun will not fire if dropped, IIRC someone did a drop test at 10 feet and it did not fire.

If you’re not comfortable carrying chambered I would recommend loading it with a fresh snap cap
    and carrying it that way a couple days. After a couple days check the snap cap for a firing pin dimple.

As long as you use a decent holster that covers the trigger you’ll be fine, guns aren’t in the habit of firing themselves.  

5. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    The only way to carry any CCW gun is with one in the chamber in my opinion and it's the way I carry all of mine.

YMMV.

6. TK421

TK421 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
  7. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Always a good question. But yes, that's what the P3AT is for...CCW loaded!! And loaded means ready to fire. Can't do that with an empty chamber.

8. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Amen brother. If it aint loaded then its as good as a rock.

9. orangehole

orangehole Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Always have a round in the chamber. The time it takes to rack the slide could could give the badguy the advantage. Thats why I would never carry a 1911. If you fumble and forget to hit that thumb safety, the badguy wins. Always DAO and always one in the chamber

10. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Amen brother.  If it aint loaded then its as good as a rock.
    [/quote]

You know my Father used to say that an unloaded pistol didn't even make a good rock. :)

And he was right with respect to a P3AT. It's too light to be a good rock.

11. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    The long heavy trigger pull is the same safety that revolvers have used for over 100 years. That and a good holster is all you need to make a machine that is handles under the 4 rules a safe machine. The number one safety is YOU. The fact that the gun needs 8lbs of energy added to it before it can fire makes a safe gun. It is not a case where the ability to fire is there, and some mechanical process it keeping it from working, the equation to fire are not all there, you have to add that last little bit (8 lbs).

12. Fat_Rat

Fat_Rat New Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Depending on what I am wearing I carry either my P3at or a Kimber .45, and on certain occasions both.  Anyone who carries any type of weapon should be familiar with its operation to where there should be no fumbling for a safety.  When I need to use my 1911 it is a trained instinctive reaction to remove the safety with no hesitation whatsoever. However if you do not train with your weapon regularly then you are wise to not use it for CC.

13. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    As pointed out earlier, the long double action revolver like trigger pull on the P-3AT is the safety. Still, should be carried in a pocket holster or holster that encases the trigger mechanism to make it 100% safe. This is a very good source of very high quality lower cost holsters. The pocket model go for $35 plus $2.50 postage. After getting one of these I threw out my nylon thing. Leather is better and lasts longer IMO.

http://www.rkbaholsters.com/Pocket Kel_Tec_P3AT_P32.htm

14. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Been carrying my P3AT loaded and chambered for over 5 years. I have two and they probably have traveled 75k miles loaded. Not a problem except for a little surface rust in the Houston Heat.

Flash

15. badgerjohnson

badgerjohnson New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    IMO, carrying 'hot' is ok if you cycle that round on a semi-weekly basis. Don't leave the same round in the chamber forever.

Also, if your chance of using the gun is 1 in a million and chance of snagging trigger or ND is 1 in 100,000, (just making up a number for the sake of argument) then it makes sense to carry un-racked chamber empty. HOWEVER, if you do, you should do the drill of drawing, racking and firing with one bullet in the mag many, many times at the range, so it's instinctive if you're going to carry that way.

Now, bear in mind that many failures to rack can happen if you fail to do it right. So that brings the argument swinging back to carrying hot being safer.

It's a trade off. So what I do is get familiar with the gun and BABY STEP it. Carried unloaded, clip empty for the first week. Then put the clip in but unracked for the next few weeks. Now, I'm planning to start carrying racked and hot. At least that's my current evolution.

Just some thoughts...

16. snookking

snookking Member

Jan 8, 2011
    I carry a p3at and pf9 both with one in the chamber and full mags both with beltclips. No holster or trigger covering

17. badgerjohnson

badgerjohnson New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    One possible strategy for CC is to, at times (condition orange?) be able to move the CC to a sweatsuit right front pocket. In addition to the many other reasons to carry with a round chambered, there is no 'stealth' if you have to rack one on the spot, when danger strikes.

18. vvldb14

vvldb14 New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Great info for this topic! I've been carrying one in the chamber in the PF9 and P3AT without a single issue. But this is my personal experience...

19. inmate

inmate New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    what about under stress when the adrenaline is pumping and you are focused on the BG and you can't get one in the chamber cause of a sweaty hand or the gun wasn't racked all the way back and didn't load one. I feel if you carry to be ready for a situation your tools should be just as ready as you are for when duty calls, as someone previously stated if you don't get the drop on the BG you loose.

20. Pthree80

Pthree80 New Member

Jan 22, 2011
    So what I do is get familiar with the gun and BABY STEP it. Carried unloaded, clip empty for the first week. Then put the clip in but unracked for the next few weeks. Now, I'm planning to start carrying racked and hot. At least that's my current evolution.

Just some thoughts...[/quote]

That is precisely what I did...  I also found that when I had just received the gun, I had this urge to continually take it out of the holster and inspect it, get a feel for the trigger and rack the slide etc. (just couldn't resist obsessing over the new toy!)

With that in mind...keeping the gun unloaded until your "inspection of your new toy" stage is over might be a good idea. Once that urge to draw the gun every 20 minutes (in my home with no one around of course) went away...I jumped to a loaded mag, then weeks to follow I started carrying hot....just don't do both...pick one because in the heat of a gunfight, I doubt you'll be thinking "hmmm...do i have one in the chamber?" my 2 cents