Carpenter Bee solution

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by buck1032, May 7, 2011.

1. buck1032

buck1032 New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    TN
    Well one of the gun boards I visit is mainly focused on and of Tennessee. Well there has been a rather entertaining thread about shooting carpenter bees. I have seen a few flying around and they have bored three holes in my front porch. So as the news was released about UBL I was in the gun room working up a Carpenter Bee Load. I used Blue Dot powder (mainly because that was first powder I grabbed out of the powder bin). My "projectile" was walnut tumbling media. I loaded 5 rounds of 38 sp each of 1 grain, 1.3 grains, 1.5 grains, 1.7 grains, 2.0 grains. I shot a blank sheet of printer paper at five feet with a Ruger GP-100 with a 2 in barrel from 5 feet. The round was loaded in this order, powder, manilla folder wadding (cut using a 38 sp case) walnut media and a final wadding. Here are the results,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the 1 grain load provides the best bang for the buck, so to speak. I also shot a piece of plywood after I shot the paper targets and the 1 grain load barely dented the 1/2 in plywood. The 2 grain load dented it pretty good. None of the loads penetrated the heavy cardboard that I use for backing on my target stand. Carpenter bees had better stand the by. LOL

Since I posted this I have had a few casualties of war and it has proved to be rather entertaining. LOL

2. Hannibal

Hannibal New Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Coolest post since OBL is dead thread ;)

3. kps

kps New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    cool!

I have tried bb guns, pellet rifles, & even a 22lr rifle, but them bees just dart & avoid the projectile & then move back to where they were.

have you had them do the move & avoid? or when they try to move they still get hit? if you remember one of my previous posts I talk of using oil on house to keep then things from going at it

this inquiring mind wants to know. lol

Randy

4. historybuff

historybuff Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    just when I think this forum can't get any better.......
    ;D

5. buck1032

buck1032 New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    TN
    They do fly and dart about, but the "mini" shotgun effect seems to work well. :) I have only gotten a few carpenter bees so I have been "stalking" dirt dobbers also. So far my effective range seems to be about 8 feet. While at that distance it doesnt kill them straight away, but they are not long for the world either. LOL I got three dirt dobbers today, two were still in the bushes and I didnt feel like digging them out.

[​IMG]

What I really like about this load is it doesnt harm or damage the wood or house. I have a burnt out spot light (yes i should have changed it today vise shooting bees, but I didnt LOL) and a dirt dobber landed at the base and I shot him off and it did not break or damage the bulb.

I have discovered an issue with my loading process. The paper wadding has came loose on one load and I had walnut shell everywhere. Here's how I cut the waddings
    [​IMG]
    I took a 38 case, cut the rim off and had at a manilla folder. LOL Since I lost a wadding I have tried melting candle wax over the wadding and the six rounds that I did that too held up just fine. I am thinking I will buy a sheet of cork gasket material and give that a go. What I want to stick with is natural materials that will decay/degrade so I dont have to pick it up. :)

6. buck1032

buck1032 New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    TN
    I bagged a hornet today. I half debated on tagging him and calling the game warden. LOL
    [​IMG]

7. twistedtail

twistedtail New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    cool post/idea/pics

8. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Heh, I realize the thread is a month or so old now but the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was the discussion about carpenter bees on TGO.

9. GSUrugby

GSUrugby New Member

May 6, 2011
    GA
    I just usually head outside with a tennis racket or an old wiffle ball bat...lol. Works just as well for me.

10. 2000silverz28

2000silverz28 New Member

May 7, 2009
    An older guy I used to work with told me thats what him and his wife did...lol. I think shooting them would be more fun. I might have to load some of these up and try them. Thanks for the idea

11. buck1032

buck1032 New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    TN
    Heh, I realize the thread is a month or so old now but the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was the discussion about carpenter bees on TGO.
    [/quote]

Yeap, While I may have been here on KTOG for a while (I read every day and post occasionally) I didnt want it to appear I was trying to advertise another website. ;)

12. GuyFawkes2008

GuyFawkes2008 New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Southern Central FL
    This gets my vote for best thread ever. Who do I send the drycleaning bill to? I was right in the middle of a big sip of coffee when it hit me what you were doing  ;D Laughed my butt off.

I've got a bee sting allergy and carry epipens so your issue with carpenter bees is a pet problem for me. This is has got to be the funniest solution ever.  

Thanks for the laugh!

13. Uncle_Jesse

Uncle_Jesse New Member

Jul 13, 2011
    A guy on another board I am on has a version of this, he uses a Ruger .44 mag with grits. Claims he can take them out clear up to the eves of his house.

14. majorxx

majorxx New Member

Grits! I think I found a new use for my black powder 44 old army.

15. j74snook

j74snook New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Panhandle Florida
    Glad i got to see this post. We do something similar with pelet rifles. They buzz around quick and we use it as practice to get on target fast with a well placed shot. Granted it usually takes on average 8 shots to take the down porch munchers but many a time 1st shot has been acomplished. Makes for a fun afteroon.