Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one of the gun boards I visit is mainly focused on and of Tennessee. Well there has been a rather entertaining thread about shooting carpenter bees. I have seen a few flying around and they have bored three holes in my front porch. So as the news was released about UBL I was in the gun room working up a Carpenter Bee Load. I used Blue Dot powder (mainly because that was first powder I grabbed out of the powder bin). My "projectile" was walnut tumbling media. I loaded 5 rounds of 38 sp each of 1 grain, 1.3 grains, 1.5 grains, 1.7 grains, 2.0 grains. I shot a blank sheet of printer paper at five feet with a Ruger GP-100 with a 2 in barrel from 5 feet. The round was loaded in this order, powder, manilla folder wadding (cut using a 38 sp case) walnut media and a final wadding. Here are the results,

I think the 1 grain load provides the best bang for the buck, so to speak. I also shot a piece of plywood after I shot the paper targets and the 1 grain load barely dented the 1/2 in plywood. The 2 grain load dented it pretty good. None of the loads penetrated the heavy cardboard that I use for backing on my target stand. Carpenter bees had better stand the by. LOL

Since I posted this I have had a few casualties of war and it has proved to be rather entertaining. LOL

·
Registered
74 Posts
cool!

I have tried bb guns, pellet rifles, & even a 22lr rifle, but them bees just dart & avoid the projectile & then move back to where they were.

have you had them do the move & avoid? or when they try to move they still get hit? if you remember one of my previous posts I talk of using oil on house to keep then things from going at it

this inquiring mind wants to know. lol

Randy

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They do fly and dart about, but the "mini" shotgun effect seems to work well. :) I have only gotten a few carpenter bees so I have been "stalking" dirt dobbers also. So far my effective range seems to be about 8 feet. While at that distance it doesnt kill them straight away, but they are not long for the world either. LOL I got three dirt dobbers today, two were still in the bushes and I didnt feel like digging them out.

What I really like about this load is it doesnt harm or damage the wood or house. I have a burnt out spot light (yes i should have changed it today vise shooting bees, but I didnt LOL) and a dirt dobber landed at the base and I shot him off and it did not break or damage the bulb.

I have discovered an issue with my loading process. The paper wadding has came loose on one load and I had walnut shell everywhere. Here's how I cut the waddings

I took a 38 case, cut the rim off and had at a manilla folder. LOL Since I lost a wadding I have tried melting candle wax over the wadding and the six rounds that I did that too held up just fine. I am thinking I will buy a sheet of cork gasket material and give that a go. What I want to stick with is natural materials that will decay/degrade so I dont have to pick it up. :)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
buck1032 said:
Well one of the gun boards I visit is mainly focused on and of Tennessee. Well there has been a rather entertaining thread about shooting carpenter bees.
Heh, I realize the thread is a month or so old now but the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was the discussion about carpenter bees on TGO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
GSUrugby said:
I just usually head outside with a tennis racket or an old wiffle ball bat...lol.  Works just as well for me.
An older guy I used to work with told me thats what him and his wife did...lol. I think shooting them would be more fun. I might have to load some of these up and try them. Thanks for the idea

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JAB said:
[quote author=buck1032 link=1304812634/0#0 date=1304812634]Well one of the gun boards I visit is mainly focused on and of Tennessee. Well there has been a rather entertaining thread about shooting carpenter bees.
Heh, I realize the thread is a month or so old now but the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was the discussion about carpenter bees on TGO.
[/quote]

Yeap, While I may have been here on KTOG for a while (I read every day and post occasionally) I didnt want it to appear I was trying to advertise another website. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
This gets my vote for best thread ever. Who do I send the drycleaning bill to? I was right in the middle of a big sip of coffee when it hit me what you were doing  ;D Laughed my butt off.

I've got a bee sting allergy and carry epipens so your issue with carpenter bees is a pet problem for me. This is has got to be the funniest solution ever.  

Thanks for the laugh!

·
Registered
115 Posts
A guy on another board I am on has a version of this, he uses a Ruger .44 mag with grits. Claims he can take them out clear up to the eves of his house.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad i got to see this post. We do something similar with pelet rifles. They buzz around quick and we use it as practice to get on target fast with a well placed shot. Granted it usually takes on average 8 shots to take the down porch munchers but many a time 1st shot has been acomplished. Makes for a fun afteroon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.