Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my P3-AT in my nightstand. It stays there for extended periods of time, unfired -- as much as a year -- or more.

I do rotate my magazine loads.

Should I clean and oil the weapon at regular intervals?

The P3-AT is in its original zippered case along with two magazines of 5 rounds each (to reduce spring tension).

Thanks

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
take it out, minimum of twice per year, and shoot it to verify functionality. Use it as the excuse to use up the old ammo and then reload

then take it apart and clean it. all bases covered.

others may have differing ideas, ymmv.

rjhauser

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Agreed. You should shoot a couple of mags to test function at least every few months. Clean and lube afterwards. There is no need to download mags. Cycling the mags is what wears the spring, not keeping them fully compressed. KT mag springs are of high quality and at the rate you shoot will last 100 years or more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
if it gets pretty dusty between cleaning you should clean any oil out of it, use a non-residue solvent and pick up some graphite based dry lub like gunslick. dirt and pocket lint will not stick to a dry lube, this is important to anyone who carrys in there pocket. the down side is that dry lube will not last if you run a box or two thru it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
All the information given so far is very good. I would like to add one item: Make sure you have fired at least 200 rounds through the pistol before you consider using it with life and limb on the line. I believe this is only prudent for any firearm.
The pistol should stay fairly clean where it sits, but I would still shoot, clean, then lube at least once every three months when possible, without going past six months.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You keep it on the night stand? ??? Christ man, this is a pocket, last resort defense weapon...the kind you use where you have the BG in a head lock or got him by his tie. The .380 really is just an extension of your fist. Keep a .357 mag or a .45 ACP on your night stand...that is, if you do not use a shot gun or carbine for home defense. BTW, you need to shoot a couple clips of the P38T every time you go to the range...clean it, as a minimum, after every 50 rounds and use Tetra grease on the rails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.