Can't view these boards from my Home Comp ?!?!?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by Eskimonio, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Eskimonio

Eskimonio New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Sent a pm to a couple of the mods but I thought I'd toss this out to see if anyone knows what the heck I can do so I can see these boards from my home.

KTOG is no doubt an INCREDIBLE resource for the Kel-Tec Owner...I just want to be a part of it, but I can't ... I get a weird webpage (not even really an error, just a weird webpage) when I try to look at KTOG.ORG from my home comp.

I am on my work computer now because I tried to view the boards last night from home and after being able to get into them once, I now get a page that says "apache webserver software successfully installed" blah blah blah.

My comp is virus and spyware free (at least up til this point) and I'm very puzzled as to how I supposedly downloaded some apache webserver software that now gives me basically a blank page whenever I go to www.ktog.org from my home comp.

1. Has anyone ever faced this beast?

2. How do I fix it so I can view the forums and absorb all this great knowledge that's posted and also share some secrets of my own?

--I even checked for a 'hosts' file in my windows installation at home AS WELL AS looking for any folder named Apache or the like --NO JOY
    --Both home and work run WinXPSP2
    --Both have virus protection
    --I run Lavasoft adaware on both computers

Thanks for the help

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re: Can't view these boards from my Home Comp ?!?!

i had the same thing, but worked ok this evening

i was expecting some type of upgrade

what was up TxCajun?

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

The server was down for several hours. There is nothing wrong with your computer, although I'm not so sure about YOU guys. ;D

Seriously, I don't know what was up. I emailed and PMed Ray but have not heard back from him yet. Either he was doing some kind of maintenance or there was a glitch of some sort. Probably the later, since that was a long time for just updating server/site software and I think he would have forwarned us. Anyway, we're up and running. 8)

I'll let you guys know what I find out. :-/

4. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

The software still shows version 1.3.2, so I don't think it was an upgrade.

5. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Yep but it's possible that he was updating software on the server (Apache), not the yabb stuff. Anyway, I think it WAS some problem.

6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

Does he actually host his own server? I didn't realize that.

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Dunno, but WHOEVER does could have been doing updates to the software that didn't involve the yaab software version, right? I know when they update out server software at work we can't log on during the process. The server is "down". :-/

8. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

Could be. Usually, the "down" times at a business get planned for after hours, weekends, or vacations so as not to shut down the workflow. That is how a good network administrator does it. ;D BTW, that comes after a period on a test server, then with a group of test users before the general rollout. That way if the updates create a problem you will know about it before you flat-line the company's productivity for a day. :eek:

For a website, it is going to be an inconvenience to someone no matter when it is done, of course. No big deal, it is back up again, and I needed a break for an evening anyway.

BTW, I am not suggesting that updates here need to be carried out with the precision and care metioned above. KTOG is here for fun, and no one is getting paid $100k/year to keep it running seamlessly - I am quite satisfied with KTOG as is. ;D

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Dang! I guess I can quit running out to the mailbox every day. That explains why I never get a check. :eek:

10. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

You deserve one for all your effort and patience! ;D

11. Eskimonio

Eskimonio New Member

Jan 23, 2006

Thanks guys...I'll try it at home tonight and let you know if any other problems...appreciate the responses!

12. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003

There were some unexpected problems but we're back up now.
    Pocketgun, I've moved the site to a server that a own and
    run from another hosting compnay precisely because
    that kind of down time is pretty unprofessional. :)
    There shouldn't be any more significant problems
    for a long, long time now.

Now if only I can get in touch with the original owner
    of the domain name, ktog.org, so I can change the
    DNS servers before the old host removes the new IP ....

13. jocko

jocko Guest

i agree, nice job TxCajun, I missed this site--alot. ;D ;D ;D

14. Mod_Man

Mod_Man New Member

Sep 7, 2004

I NEVER MISSED A WEB SITE MORE THAN THIS ONE IN THE LAST WEEK! KTOG is back! Thank God! hmm and Ray... :)

15. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

Glad we're back up - really missed this forum! :D

16. bigdaddyv10

bigdaddyv10 New Member

Dec 28, 2005

Ditto :)

17. Darth_Muffin

Darth_Muffin New Member

Dec 4, 2004

Yea! Thanks for the work getting the forum back online. It seems faster too!

18. Bam_Bam

Bam_Bam New Member Supporter

Aug 29, 2005

Man I D**n GLAD ya'll are back up and running ;D ;D I was not as happy over on the other side of the fence ya know! Glad to be back with the gang. Who ever is responsible for getting KTOG running, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You oh did I forget to mention Thank You ;) ;) I've had spell's of the shakes, sweat's, blurred vison & black out's (oh thats probably from the Miller Beer) lol I've cleaned all my guns twice, loaded up on ammo, chewed my fingernails off, God I've been bored! :eek:

The other gang seems to be let's say "not as friendly" as us KTOGer's are! :eek: But most were ok I guess.

TxCajun, I'm glad to see you over there keeping them straight ;) Did I mention Thank Ya'll for this great site. I really enjoy sitting here pecking away at this keyboard talking guns and BS to you fella's, yes that includes, RcModel, Stevil, Flyer & norfdet and others that I might have forgoten. Anyway let's talk guns!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Bam Bam who is now recovering from the aforementioned illnesses! lol

19. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Thank Ray who keeps us up and on line. Now that we're on HIS server, hopefully we'll have fewer such episodes. Me... I'm just along for the ride like the rest of you. BTW, is it just me, or is the site running faster. 8)

20. swampfox

swampfox New Member

Sep 5, 2005

Whoopee, we're back in business! ;D For a while I was beginning to get a little paranoid wondering why I couldn't bring KTOG up. Thanks Ray. ;)

swampfox