Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new p3at shot fine the other day but toady after cleaning I could not extract bullets manually unless the magazine only had two rounds.

It seems the bullets both stick to the extracter and also the bottom of the feed ramp.

I am using 95 gr. winchester supreme and have done a fluff and buff

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
Welcome to K.T.O.G.
Field strip your P3-AT as per the owner's manual and try dropping a loaded round into the barrel chamber. It should drop in and out freely. Loading from a full mag, especially a brand new one, is often difficult. To prepare your P3-AT for full (6 + 1) carry, load one round into the mag and fully seat the mag in the grip. Then pull the slide all the way back and release it cleanly with a "slingshot" motion while holding the gun pointed in a safe direction. Do not pull the slide back and then "ride" the slide forward with your hand. Now load 6 rounds into the mag and insert it in the grip. Never load a round by holding back the slide and dropping a round into the chamber and then closing the slide on the loaded chamber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my gosh as soon as I saw part #115, I remembered looking at it on my table last night and saying "Hmm what the heck is this?" . It must of fallen out without my knowing it.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
shayes223 said:
PshootR, is there a risk of discharge by dropping the slide on an inserted round? Cuz that's the way I've always done it.
In a .380, no. It seems it could happen with a rimfire, but I've never heard of one. You're doing it wrong by dropping the slide on an already inserted round. During the normal load cycle the cartridge rim slips up and UNDER the extractor as the slide moves forward. When you drop the slide on a round already in the chamber the extractor must jump over the rim in order to engage. That's a good way to damage or eventually wear out an extractor or spring. It is not made to function that way..... That's true of any semi-auto firearm not just this one. ;D

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
I agree with "Hutch01" on everything except where he says "It is not made to function that way..... That's true of any semi-auto firearm not just this one." He's right except for the Russian Makarov and the Polish P-64 Radom, they are designed to operate that way.
Hutch01 said:
In a .380, no.  It seems it could happen with a rimfire, but I've never heard of one.  You're doing it wrong by dropping the slide on an already inserted round.  During the normal load cycle the cartridge rim slips up and UNDER the extractor as the slide moves forward.  When you drop the slide on a round already in the chamber the extractor must jump over the rim in order to engage.  That's a good way to damage or eventually wear out an extractor or spring.  It is not made to function that way.....  That's true of any semi-auto firearm not just this one.  ;D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
PshootR said:
I agree with "Hutch01" on everything except where he says "It is not made to function that way..... That's true of any semi-auto firearm not just this one." He's right except for the Russian Makarov and the Polish P-64 Radom, they are designed to operate that way.
Commie guns don't count! ;)

When I wrote that I suspected that someone would name something that had a weird extraction system, so I should have made it more specific to include Western made firearms (unless there's another one hiding in the dust bin). ;D

·
Registered
71 Posts
shayes223 said:
Your'e right.  I recall having a rifle that had to be loaded from the mag because the extractor was so strong I couldn't force the bolt to close on a loaded chamber.  Thanks for waking me up.
it will break the extractor or over spring it. causing a failure..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.